Passenger's £6000 suit - worried about Caribbean pirates

MarkBearSF

According to the following article, a passenger has filed a £6000 lawsuit against Cunard as the result of a brief power outage in the Caribbean. She was sure that the ship had been boarded by pirates. (Outside of St Thomas in the Caribbean)

"She reported a 'massive explosion' just before the blackout and feared pirates could be attacking the ship.
...Passengers on the ship - which is the largest cruise liner in the world, claim they floated without power or lighting for an hour. One passenger says she remains traumatised after getting stuck in a lift during the outage on December 30."

Cunard says "The incident occurred on the 30 December. The ship experienced a temporary blackout and loss of propulsion lasting approximately 15 minutes, as a result of a technical issue. All back up systems operated as required and full propulsion was quickly restored."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6777317/Queen-Mary-2-passenger-demands-damages-thousands-adrift-broke-down.html?fbclid=IwAR0jnaO5iYnpOeidFzZ6hahj4ai80GOSIaSgTl3IAOQ6q0OGE2DI9b-13dI

Edited by MarkBearSF

3 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

According to the following article, a passenger has filed a £6000 lawsuit against Cunard as the result of a brief power outage in the Caribbean. She was sure that the ship had been boarded by pirates. (Outside of St Thomas in the Caribbean)

"She reported a 'massive explosion' just before the blackout and feared pirates could be attacking the ship.
...Passengers on the ship - which is the largest cruise liner in the world, claim they floated without power or lighting for an hour. One passenger says she remains traumatised after getting stuck in a lift during the outage on December 30."

Cunard says "The incident occurred on the 30 December. The ship experienced a temporary blackout and loss of propulsion lasting approximately 15 minutes, as a result of a technical issue. All back up systems operated as required and full propulsion was quickly restored."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6777317/Queen-Mary-2-passenger-demands-damages-thousands-adrift-broke-down.html?fbclid=IwAR0jnaO5iYnpOeidFzZ6hahj4ai80GOSIaSgTl3IAOQ6q0OGE2DI9b-13dI

She should read her cruise contract when it comes to lawsuits.

24 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

Pirates of the Caribbean??
Methinks the lady watches too many Johnny Depp movies.

If someone is traumatized by 15 minutes stuck in an elevator, they probably shouldn't venture beyond their own front yard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thinfool said:

She should read her cruise contract when it comes to lawsuits.

Out of curiosity, would the lady have been American?

No doubt she will not travel with Cunard again, lucky Cunard.🍷🥃

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, luckymal said:

My read of the article is that she is from Wales and is claiming a £3,000 refund of the £9,000 she paid for the voyage.

According to posters on other social media, the complainants were "known" throughout the ship long before the incident and, if they had the drinks package would likely have needed  to pay extra for exceeding the daily maximum.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MarkBearSF said:

According to posters on other social media, the complainants were "known" throughout the ship long before the incident and, if they had the drinks package would likely have needed  to pay extra for exceeding the daily maximum.

If true, who needs these type of passengers?🍷🥃

3 hours ago, luckymal said:

That is a relief. Who wants to travel with people who are so jittery.

I checked back on the posts from that time where "cougaraz" wrote that it was nothing of great concern:

2018 Caribbean Celebration post #66 

If things were anywhere near as bad as the plaintif now claims it would not have taken over two months for this to become a news story.  She sounds like she's a quick student of the American liabilty tort system.  Simply filing a lawsuit will often result in a settlement because litigation is so expensive for the defendant. 

Let‘s imagine for a second that I am out on the decks when the power fails and I am really afraid of pirates.

Would I stay there and check the sea for pirates still after 15 minutes or would I rather go inside where I am probably a bit safer than outside?

Reminds me of our recent cruise on Celebrity Solstice where a passenger seriously complained for days, that the menu said „crab cakes“ while she only received one. Unfortunately, we had to share tables with her for one night, when she broke the story in front of the apologetic Maitre d‘.

Needless to say, that we made sure that we changed tables for the following nights.

Edited by Yoshikitty

I sent them my thoughts regarding what a non event it really was and how preposterous these women are via “Messenger” last night.  I received a response first thing this morning as follows:

Hi Jeanne,

Thank you for getting in touch. We are aware of this and rest assured we are looking into any cases and comments regarding it that we receive.  The incident occurred on the 30 December. The ship experienced a temporary blackout / loss of propulsion lasting approximately 15 minutes, as a result of a technical issue. All back up systems operated as required and full propulsion was quickly restored.

Unfortunately we are not part of the Cunard Fan groups, but if these guests wish to discuss anything with us they are welcome to get in touch.

I hope despite this you had a wonderful voyage on Queen Mary 2, Christmas on board is so very special. 

Thank you once again for taking the time to get in touch.

Kind regards,

Lizzy

• Like 2

we were on this cruise while the power went out we left the cabin only because the back up [battery] cabin light died in 2 minutes. We dressed and went aft deck 7 and waited until power was restored........we saw no pirates ..................but for a pay out i might have seen sumpin 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

slightly digressing but once transiting the Gibraltar Strait in daylight on QE or QV up in Lido having a drink, couple  on next table noticed as I had number of small Moroccan fishing vessels, looking worried the woman asked if they were pirates, she was apparently convinced we were off the Horn of Africa, she was British, I don't think I convinced her that the Gibraltar Strait was where we were. 

I am amazed how long it has taken for the press to get hold of this story, to me it tells you how serious it  was. The lawyer/solicitor who is taking action against Cunard, is making a mountain out of a mole hill. These things happen in real life, I wonder if a fuse as blown In her home or what about a bulb packing up, would she contemplate taking action against the company who supplied the electricity. 

If I was Cunard I would BIN IT or give then $5 o.b.c. If they sail with Cunard again,

Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a film  “Pirates help the QM2 to break down in the Carib”

Theonly thing I hope she gets is a acknowledgement from Cunard.🍷🥃

On 3/6/2019 at 7:21 PM, BlueRiband said:

I checked back on the posts from that time where "cougaraz" wrote that it was nothing of great concern:

2018 Caribbean Celebration post #66 

If things were anywhere near as bad as the plaintif now claims it would not have taken over two months for this to become a news story.  She sounds like she's a quick student of the American liabilty tort system.  Simply filing a lawsuit will often result in a settlement because litigation is so expensive for the defendant. 

Yep, I was there.  The incident was minor, the Captain made multiple announcements to reassure everyone that things were being handled and that there was nothing to worry about.  No one was ever in danger, maybe a little inconvenience, but life happens, even at sea.

I can say with certainty that there were neither "massive explosions" nor helicopters operating in close proximity to the ship.

• Like 1