Cruise Critic Community
lorrainemargaret

shore excursions in st petersburg

One of our stops overnight is st petersburg I have read several posts saying not to book trips from the ship as they are expensive,does anyone know what sort of prices they are compared to booking with individual company,I would rather go with the ship as always feel more secure,Any info on ship excursion prices? we do some ports ourselves it was st petersburg we were interesting in?any info would be most appreciated 

We used SPB tours, saved about £150 per person on the 2 day tour + Ballet night (amazing experience) I`m sure Ship`s cash in on nervous cruisers. other travellers used Alla Tours both seemed to be very similar in price and content. enjoy

I've seen a price quoted of £319pp for the 2 day CMV tour, we've just booked one on Viator for £195pp that has everything we want on it, they go as cheap as £164pp on there, depending what you want to do.

Have made a preliminary booking with TJ Tours for a relaxed 2 day tour of St Petersburg. This is for those who might not be able to keep pace with the regular tours. It's a reasonable price and includes visa. I have details if anyone wants to see the sights but at gentler pace.
  •  

Posted (edited)

I agree with not using the ship. There are quite a few amazing independent operators in St. Petersburg. It will cost you less, and you will get a better tour. We used Anastasia's Travel. We did a private tour because we had our kids with us. They were fantastic. We got to the front of the lines because of our smaller group. Our guide knew a lot about the city and we learned some fun stuff that was not in the guidebooks. We also got to see some sights that are not "on the list" of regular places, so to speak. 

I would highly recommend using an independent operator in St. Petersburg. And yes, they will get you back to the ship in plenty of time to sail. Their jobs depend on it!

Edited by angie7911922
misspelling

On 3/11/2019 at 2:47 AM, elles5 said:
Have made a preliminary booking with TJ Tours for a relaxed 2 day tour of St Petersburg. This is for those who might not be able to keep pace with the regular tours. It's a reasonable price and includes visa. I have details if anyone wants to see the sights but at gentler pace.
  •  

Yes I have used TJ Tours in the past and they were excellent, would certainly use them again.

I will be visiting St Petersburg for 2 days during my cruise on board Holland America's Nieuw Statendam 31 August/1 September 2019. I have booked a 2 day MUST SEE tour in St Petersburg with Alla Tours. USD$250. I have also booked a 12 hour day tour for Berlin with Alla Tours USD$105 (discounted due to booking tour in St P). Holland America quoted USD$330 for a similar tour.

I have just booked the SPB 2 day GRAND TOUR with Alla tours for the moderate price of £220 per person, the tour includes all the tourist destinations that i was looking for within a small group( 16 or less)and included lunches on both days. CMV excursion was £320.

Did you know that as a member of the Cruise Critic fraternity you can get a 5% discount off many tours operating from Baltic ports.

Well we've just had our 2 day tour booked through Viator cancelled as apparently there were only two couples booked on it, and the other couple pulled out. The tour was operated by City Break, I can't say I'm totally impressed with being left with just 2 and a half weeks before sailing to make alternative arrangements.

We were very happy with SPBTours, they were very professional, organised our visas, and there were only 10 people on the bus which meant we could easily hear our guide, janice

Another recommendation for Alla Tours here. Handled visas and all communications really efficiently. I was there for 3 days and they got us to Moscow and back on day 2. Fantastic experience.

I'd just like to say that these companies don't organise visas, if you are arriving on a cruise ship for 72 hours or less you don't need a visa as long as you only go on tours with authorised companies. You cannot leave the ship on your own unless you do have a visa.