Cruise Critic Community
Redwing55

Toddler on Regal/Sky

I know that there have been numerous threads about children on Princess ships.  However, this is a bit more specific.  We are planning on taking our family on a cruise, and our son's family will have a 25 month old (2YO) at the time of the cruise.  This will be the only child with us. We know some of the restrictions, but curious if any of you had taken such an early age child on a Princess cruise (7 day Carr.)

Can you share the +/-'s?  We are also looking at RCI.  Yes, we see some advantages of the RCI's options, but it'll be one of their behemoth ships. (Maybe the biggest advantage is that one can get a sitter in the room.  We don't see that as an issue, but our son might.  Also, RCI has a SMALL pool for the little one to swim in.. due to potty training status.) We're willing to try that adventure, but there are pluses with our general Princess familiarity.   Though the other adults (we are in our 60's) are in their 30's, they are pretty laid back and we do know they'd enjoy either line.

Maybe the biggest issue is the RCI deposit policy and how it may or may not be refunded if need to be.  We're just getting prices but we can make that judgement.

I'm not looking for reasons to go on either line (though I'll gladly read and extract what we can use from the comment)  but rather, how the 2 year old impacted the cruise on the  Princess line.  Like I mentioned, we are very familiar with the Princess product.. even this class of ship.  But, we haven't ever checked out how a 2 YO might get through it.  Keep in mind, that we 2 Gparents will have no issue taking care of the Gdaughter since we love just being on a ship, we've been to the ports several times, and we love the "sitting" part.

Also, from a dining perspective, the Princess's Buffets, IC, and other eating options are really accommodating and enjoyable for our entire entourage.

Oh, and yes, there will be 3 sea days along with the stop at Pcays.  

TIA

Just today I read somewhere on this board that you can no longer have in-room sitters on Royal.  EM

We've sailed with our kids every year since they were born - mostly on Princess.  It is bummer not to be able to use the pool, but otherwise it's been great.  They at least used to have times where you could take the child into the kids club.  You had to stay with them, but they could play with the toys and such.  That was fun.  We also found bars during the day were a good place to play.  At that age they just need time to run around like a crazy beast and not worry about tripping people and such.  The bars are usually empty during the daytime, so that was a good place to get some energy out!

I always brought a bag of surprises.  I'd go to Micheal's and the dollar store, and have something new to give them every night at dinner to help pass the time.  Crayons and coloring books are your friend!  

We've loved cruising with our kids.  They are now 11 and 7 and we head to Florida tomorrow to get on the Regal on Sunday!

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Just today I read somewhere on this board that you can no longer have in-room sitters on Royal.  EM

When did the Royal Princess have in room sitters?

Cruised with our 2 boys when they were 1 and 3 and once with just our oldest when he was about 8mo.

I was surprised how the crew treated them. The waiters, bar staff, room steward, even the musicians treated them fabulously. It never dawned on me that lot of them are missing their kids or young family members.  Put a suit jacket and tie on a 2 year old and all of a sudden they are the talk of the town!

We brought some small toys for them to play with at dinners and in the room.  The kids menu worked great.  The chicken strips are awesome.  Order some for yourself, and try the Princess Volcano for dessert.  We kept milk from the buffet in our fridge and got room service cookies once or twice.

They were the only kids on our cruise so the kids programs were closed.  They did let us use the rooms.  There where some Legos and climbing stuff, an outside area that was netted in with balls and trikes.  There was a wading pool up on a top deck that they used.

We had a inside cabin and they had fun sleeping in the bunks.  In the  morning the would get chocolate milk at the international café bar and the bartenders were very nice to them.

We traded off nap time in the afternoons, and my in-laws watched them a night or two so we could stay out a bit. 

We brought an umbrella stroller to use in port it was compact and didn't take up a lot of room space.  We also brought some bubbles that we blew on deck which was fun.

Overall it was a different cruise experience the previous trips without them.  Not bad but different.  A few earlier nights and a different schedule for the sea days with little ones.

The boys had a good time on board. Loved the attention and all the goings on on ship. We took a lot of pics and used Shutterfly to make a picture book of the trip that they still look at 8 years later.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

When did the Royal Princess have in room sitters?

The poster was talking about sitting on RCI=Royal.  EM

12 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

RCI has a SMALL pool for the little one to swim in.. due to potty training status.)

On Princess (and most other cruise lines), toddlers who are not potty trained are not allowed in any type of pool, not even with "swim diapers."

Would you really want your little one to be in a pool in which other toddlers had had an "accident?"

4 hours ago, caribill said:

On Princess (and most other cruise lines), toddlers who are not potty trained are not allowed in any type of pool, not even with "swim diapers."

All true, but Redwing55 was noting that some of the RCI ships (Freedom and Oasis classes It hink) have baby splash pad areas (water a couple of inches deep) for the little ones where swim diapers are required.

Thanks for the insights.  And yes, we think we understand the pool policy with both lines.  Frankly, pretty limited, but not surprising.

I wonder if anyone has brought one of those blow up pools.. though I'm not sure how fun a 2 YO would have in one.   I guess something to splash in can work.  Heck, I might even like it to leave my feet in one while relaxing.

I do find the comment about limited small ones interesting as I recall hearing or reading that elsewhere.  I recall a bit of that when we took our then 6 month old to Disney (We wanted to go and he kind of came along.  LOL.)  He was treated like a start at Epcot and elsewhere during that late September trip.   

6 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

I wonder if anyone has brought one of those blow up pools.. though I'm not sure how fun a 2 YO would have in one.   I guess something to splash in can work.  Heck, I might even like it to leave my feet in one while relaxing.

My daughter's family, including their at that time 11 1/2 month old daughter, took a blow up pool on their Independence of the Seas cruise and used it as a bath tub in the shower and on deck in the splash pad area.  Serving a dual purpose was great and both parents and child liked it.

18 hours ago, capriccio said:

All true, but Redwing55 was noting that some of the RCI ships (Freedom and Oasis classes It hink) have baby splash pad areas (water a couple of inches deep) for the little ones where swim diapers are required.

Redwing55 said " RCI has a SMALL pool for the little one to swim in.. "  

To me a splash pad is not a pool and also cannot have someone swim in it, so I assumed a real (but small) pool was being described.