San Francisco help please.

Ms Jo UK

We are cruising out of Honolulu and there are obviously no direct flights from the UK.  The obvious choice for a stopover would be LA but after 3 visits we would prefer somewhere new (to us) and SFO is a bucket list city so we would like to stopover for 3 nights 2 full days before flying on to HNL.

I am just not sure whether we should stay in the Union Square area or Fishermans Wharf to do what we would like to do which is Alcatraz and the Hop on Hop off as our 2 must do items.  So what area would you  experienced folk suggest please?

I would go with Fisherman's wharf...

Alcatraz tours all start from there...lots of other touristy things as well.  And you can catch the HOHO bus almost anywhere...and, BTW, you can also buy package HOHO/Alcatraz tour tickets...

Book ahead if you can, Alcatraz sells out on busy days...

I'm not a big fan of Union Square--a bit hectic, a bit urban...

I second Fisherman's Wharf area.  The wharf itself is a bit seedy but I highly recommend the Boudin Sourdough Bread factory tour and a visit to Musee Mechnique (bring quarters).  You can see Pier 39 (shops, sea lions), the trip to Alcatraz (Angel Island is also wonderful) and the Exploritorium (adult nights are on Thursdays).  Walk or take the street car (runs along the wharf) to the Ferry Building which hosts the Farmers Market (check dates but there are always food stalls) and you can take the ferry to Sausalito from there.  If you stayed on the street car, which turns and runs along Market Street, you would get to Union Square.  There is a cable car from a block away from Fisherman's Wharf and another about a quarter mile away in front of the Ghiradelli (chocolate sign).  The crookedest street, Lombard Street, is 2 blocks uphill from there.  Be sure to stop at the Cable Car Museum on either run.  We always stop at Ghiradelli for ice cream sundaes and to watch them making chocolate.  You can also rent bikes in the wharf area and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, returning on the ferry to SF.  If you want to go wine tasting, take the Muni 25 bus from the Transbay Terminal (or take a cab) to Treasure Island.  There are a half dozen wineries on the island with magnificent views of the city.  And that doesn't cover a few personal favorites like the Asian Art Museum, the Walt Disney Family Museum (great view of the Golden Gate Bridge), Beach Blanket Babylon (an only in SF show) and Chinatown.  From SFO take BART to the Embarcadero Center (Hyatt Regency) and catch a cab/UBER to your hotel from there.  Have fun.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone who responded with very useful and informative information.  You have confirmed what I was leaning towards.  Although the cruise is not until 2020 the trip will take a lot of planning as it involves 3 nights in SFO, 5 nights pre cruise Honolulu, the 10 day cruise and 3 days post cruise in Vancouver so a lot to research.  My main surprise is the sticker shock pricing of SFO hotels based on this year's pricing

Thank you all.

The problem with SF hotels is they are expensive during the week due to business travel.  We live about 80 miles away go frequently just for a night on the weekend.  We usually stay around Union Square as it's less touristy and we like the food.  I was looking yesterday and can get Friday and Saturday nights on a high floor at the Hilton Union Square for $260 over the next 2-3 months.  Whereas the week day is close to double.  

When we have early AM flights out of SFO we stay at the Embassy Suites south of the airport.  The price can be pretty good as it's not city center.  You would have to UBER into the city for sightseeing.  But it's close to the airport and they have a shuttle.  Nice restaurant with a great view.  Not near as great as the view from the bar on the top floor of the Hilton. 

You could also stay in Larkspur across the bay.  There's a Marriott Courtyard that I use to stay at for work when I couldn't find a GOV rate in the city.  There's a cheap commuter ferry just across the street from the hotel that gives you the same view as the expensive tourist ferries crossing the bay back to Fisherman's wharf.  Downside is Larkspur is a pretty good distance to SFO and traffic by car could be horrendous depending on day and time.     

Check out www.wildsftours.com   After many years going to SF we discovered them a few years ago.  It was a great way to kill a few hours.  

Our family of four stayed at the Parc 55 Union Square (its a Hilton property).  There was so much around the hotel.  It was a block from a cable car stop round.  The Hop on Hop off Union Square stop was just around the corner.  We used that to get down to Fisherman's Wharf for our Sourdough breakfast.  We were able to walk to Chinatown as well from our hotel.

San Francisco is one of our favorite cities.  

We have thought about staying at the Parc 55 but it's always been more money than the Hilton Union Square.  The Parc is just across the street from the Hilton Union Square and photos make it look very modern and hip.  If you stay at either one Foley's Irish Pub is a fun place and the food is very good.  Also, great place for breakfast is the Pinecrest Diner.  It gets great write ups and they are well deserved.  

We are staying at the Hotel Zoe on North Street . It's @ a block from Fisherman's Wharf . There is a cable car stop at the corner there . We booked through Hotwire and were able to get a rate of $240 . It take a little research before you decide to use that particular site . I've found that searching 4 star properties gets a nice hotel . Drawback is the booking is prepaid and non cancellable . I do subscribe to trip insurance when booking should something happen .

• 1 month later...

I am not a fan of Fisherman's Wharf because it is such a misrepresentation of San Francisco. It is like Disneyland without the rides. Union Square and the Embarcadero are where I stay.

I gave up on the Hilton Union Square years ago after back to back bad stays. I now stay in JDV Hotels, Kimpton Hotels, and Marriott hotels.

I definitely recommend Union Square over Fisherman's Wharf - UNLESS the majority of your activity will be at FIsherman's Wharf (which would be a big mistake, in my opinion). Not only is the Wharf a tourist nightmare, it's not really close to a lot of things in SF. Union Square is much more central and closer to good transit (Muni Metro).

EDIT/UPDATE to the above - As I was thinking a bit, I concluded that Fisherman's Wharf isn't necessarily out fo the way, if you include North Beach and Chinatown in your itinerary, as it's walkable to both locations (all three districts intersect). North Beach, in particular is a pleasant area for walking with great restaurants, coffee, and bakeries.

Union Square is great for access to Union Square shopping, Museum of Modern Art (and a few other small art museums), Moscone Center (for conventions), Theatres (including long-term productions of Hamilton and Harry Potter [coming in Oct]) Market Street and transportation everywhere else.