Cruise Critic Community
Gatorj

Spring BREAKAWAY Live! 3/10/19

Great funny review so far - enjoying reading it - please carry on!

May I ask, how did you snag the PBP? We're going on the Bliss next month and want to know how to get it … 

TaTa.

PBP came with the booking. NCL runs lots of promos. I suspect they are different in different countries.

lol...It looks like your shepards pie is "frowning" 

In all honesty, I had stabbed it with the spoon before realizing I should take a photo. Good catch.

Well, it was an early night last night (see post 128 for why).

So, we had the Salsa & Salsa deal and it was great. Came back to the ship and napped for a bit, then hit trivia and Shaker’s for some good cocktails and conversation with Milan.

Dinner was is Moderno. As usual, the food here is quite good, and we think this is the best “value” for the specialty restaurants. After dinner, I called it a night. That hasn’t been my MO (ever?) but I just needed to sleep. And slept until 7am this morning.

Apparently without their fearless leader, the rest of our group also called it an early night. Wimps.

As we board the party bus in Belize and the music blares. And the drinks are being poured....
891e02c0e4f1d1a1966a66275b61be7b.jpg

I call BS.

644f04839ecfa24f13f5057f9941862e.jpg74406a98d4d1197b3ea70758b9c671c2.jpg

Actually don’t have any one at the moment and that was a complete oversight on my part.

Because it went downhill from the initial drinks on the party bus.
1d92c4a51531283d4c9865c7ecd2fffa.jpg

I’m not saying if I know this person or not, but.....

And now back on the ship.

It always amazes me that they can get that many people on a tender. I know it’s efficient, but it would be a better passenger experience to have more, smaller vessels that went more than once every 30 minutes. If you’re one of the first on a tender, you sit there bobbing up and down for 30 minutes while they fill it up. I don’t mind the motion, but I do mind the wait.

Oh well. Here we are at Shakers and all is good with the world. 54067facca6c5fb2c8a453c4470bd8cb.jpg

Now I know some of you will comment that slow is relative, but unless you’re actually here with us, please feel free to hold your comment.

It used to be that the specialty places, and Cagneys in particular were really great service wise and Johnny on the spot. Not tonight. At least nor for us. I’m not going to debate this with those who choose to comment. It’s just been SLOW service.

My wife says I shouldn’t drink anymore tonight. I say goodnight.

Woot woot.

She’s still here. So I’m drinking and being judged. See that commercial with the little piggy singing “wee wee wee” all the way home. That’s what I’m doing for the rest of the night.

WEEEEEEEE!!!!

07e006c81352217ff1e6d8669773ff7e.jpg

^^^^^

what she said.................

or tomorrow your wife will be telling you "I told you so..........." and the rest of us will be agreeing with her :classic_biggrin:

On 3/11/2019 at 9:19 PM, Gatorj said:

88818a6b541bbed37a45ce8cb307b285.jpg

In homage to others before me, the bathroom shot.

So, rant #2. This is a short rant. Literally. I’m not a tall guy. There’s only one urinal in here I can really use without being uncomfortable. I can only imagine why the NCL Joy didn’t do well in the China market if this is how they built that ship.

Not trying to stereotype. Look up the stats.

Ha! Earlier today I was thinking to myself how much I enjoyed all the tall urinals! I'm 6'1 though so that probably helps!

On 3/12/2019 at 3:45 PM, cruiser147147 said:

Like a lot of things associated with NCL, shorts are hit and miss in Manhattan Dining room.  I know they say shorts are not allowed but I have worn shorts and have seen others wearing shorts but have also seen many people wearing shorts turned away.  Hit and miss. Best to not take the chance if you really want to eat in there.

I believe on day 1 I ate here with shorts on.... I'm a guy that reads practically everything and didn't know! They did not say anything though and we received great service. I'll make sure if we go again I put on pants!

3 hours ago, Gatorj said:

Now I know some of you will comment that slow is relative, but unless you’re actually here with us, please feel free to hold your comment.

It used to be that the specialty places, and Cagneys in particular were really great service wise and Johnny on the spot. Not tonight. At least nor for us. I’m not going to debate this with those who choose to comment. It’s just been SLOW service.

I've sailed NCL twice now, and was not impressed with the speed of service in Cagney's on the Getaway or the Bliss.  The quality of the meal has been OK, but both times we commented on how the experience just seems SO drawn out.  

On 3/12/2019 at 3:13 AM, Gatorj said:

So Milan is in Shakers, but Jovana has been promoted to mixologist. We’re trying to track her down too.

I think I know them from the Epic a few years ago. I’m sure that Jovana was the name of the server in o’Sheehans that we really got on with and her husband worked at another bar.

If you get chance, could you ask if they were on the Epic previously. About 2016 I think it was. We’re on the Breakaway next month so it would be good to know it’s the same couple, and where to find them if they are still onboard.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:15 PM, Suna said:

I am pretty sure hubby wore his shorts (cargo type)into the Manhattan on the Escape ... is this a new rule? 

It varies from ship to ship. On some, such as the Escape, there is no rule about shorts in the aft dining room.

How is the patch working ? I thinking getting some for our Breakaway trip at the end April. 

How is the patch working ? I thinking getting some for our Breakaway trip at the end April. 

The patch has been great. Really.

I’ve never woken up this alert each morning, even after a long night.

Slow start to the day today. Slept in until 9 or so, and then hung out in the cabin. The rest of our group all met up for breakfast and then went to explore Harvest Caye. I had a little lunch and then went back for a nap. Did I say slow day? So, now I’m the atrium ready for the best day on the ship. 80’s day!

It’s too bad they’ve limited the 80’s party at night to a paltry 45 minutes. I remember cruises where the 80’s party was a couple hours, with fun light-up glasses and all sorts of stuff. At least they still do that for Glow party (but I still like the old White Hot) party in the Spinnaker the best.

The drink of the day is whatever you order. Enjoy. 270a69f25edc02f42812220ff6e13e34.jpg

It’s amazing how many people we’ve met on this cruise that say “I like “fill in the blank” cruise line better.

WE like some other stuff better too, but we don’t wan around disparaging the ship we’re on to other passengers. We happily find fun stuff to do and to fill our time with good company, good food, and good entertainment.

Feel free to book another cruise line next time folks.

On another note, for all those who feel like NCL nickels and dimmed then, stop paying for the stuff that costs extra. There is so much good stuff here that’s free that you don’t need to pay for extras. We even cancelled one of our specialty nights because the main dining food has been exceptional (by main dining standards anyway).

Trivia time!

Walk up to Shanghai’s Noodle bar to have dinner at 5:10 (they opened at 5).
“Do you have a reservation? If not, I’m sorry sir, all of our tables are full”

Um....ok? Off to find something else before a 6:30 show.

68d03b0c7d0dc1b5e45981c4231496a9.jpg