Who’s booked for 2019 Season?

Got2Cruise

1 hour ago, whynesnob said:

September 8 on Rhine river, Ama Serena Basel to Amsterdam. First river cruise after several mega ocean cruises. Doing 3 nights pre cruise in Lucerne for some mountains and Oktoberfest. 

You’ve chosen the perfect itinerary and cruiseline jmo for your first river experience. I think you’ll love it. 

No river cruises for us this year (or next). We decided on traveling throughout the Scottish Highlands for this year and it looks like Italy is on the top of the list for us again next year. Just can't get enough of Italy and the wonderful scenery, food, wine, and people! We've also got a bunch of shorter trips interspersed in between.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bubbulz said:

No river cruises for us this year (or next). We decided on traveling throughout the Scottish Highlands for this year and it looks like Italy is on the top of the list for us again next year. Just can't get enough of Italy and the wonderful scenery, food, wine, and people! We've also got a bunch of shorter trips interspersed in between.

We took a few years break. Not because we weren’t happy with River Cruises, but certain itineraries are better served differently. 

My husband and I are going on Avalon’s German Grandeur cruise in July for our 30th anniversary. It’s a new itinerary for Avalon for 2019. We start in Nuremberg and end in Basel. We leave in 125 days! Can’t wait.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, acwmom said:

No river for us this year either. Viking Ocean Empires of the Med, Athens to Venice. Less than 4 weeks now!

Robin

Took that itinerary on Star Clippers. Fabulous. And perfect example why we have to mix it up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, djett said:

Yes although Uniworld treats them as two individual cruises.

Such a great idea. We met a couple on the Rhine River Cruise that ended in Amsterdam that was going to pick up a Holland America Cruise in a couple of days that was cruising the North Sea. 

We're also taking a break from river cruises, probably for the next two years [unless we win the contest that Cruise Critic ran in February! :classic_wink:].  In January we did a ['last,' but I've said that before...] Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Edge and in late summer we will be doing a circumnavigation of Iceland with Backroads on Ponant's Le Champlain, followed by a western Mediterranean cruise on MSC – no conflict, there are no river cruises available in those areas.  In 2010 we're doing a circumnavigation of New Zealand on Ponant [again, no river cruises available].  In late summer 2020 I was planning a cruise on the Douro – until I looked at a map of Portugal and realized what a limited area that river offers [and every day was another port wine tasting...] – so we are now planning a hiking tour with VBT that starts in Porto, spends two nights in the Minho region, two nights in the Douro valley [with a day sail on a Rabelo boat], two nights in the Beiros region, ending with four nights in Lisbon [yes, we have to pack and unpack a lot, but we will see much more of Portugal this way] – where we will pick up a Windstar cruise to Barcelona [and since VBT and Windstar are part of the same corporate group, we get a 5% discount on one of the bookings!].  But in 2021 we hope to return to river cruising, on the Nile!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We're also taking a break from river cruises, probably for the next two years [unless we win the contest that Cruise Critic ran in February! :classic_wink:].  In January we did a ['last,' but I've said that before...] Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Edge and in late summer we will be doing a circumnavigation of Iceland with Backroads on Ponant's Le Champlain, followed by a western Mediterranean cruise on MSC – no conflict, there are no river cruises available in those areas.  In 2010 we're doing a circumnavigation of New Zealand on Ponant [again, no river cruises available].  In late summer 2020 I was planning a cruise on the Douro – until I looked at a map of Portugal and realized what a limited area that river offers [and every day was another port wine tasting...] – so we are now planning a hiking tour with VBT that starts in Porto, spends two nights in the Minho region, two nights in the Douro valley [with a day sail on a Rabelo boat], two nights in the Beiros region, ending with four nights in Lisbon [yes, we have to pack and unpack a lot, but we will see much more of Portugal this way] – where we will pick up a Windstar cruise to Barcelona [and since VBT and Windstar are part of the same corporate group, we get a 5% discount on one of the bookings!].  But in 2021 we hope to return to river cruising, on the Nile!

Doing the Nile with Uniworld in January this year was fantastic. You'll love it.

• Like 1

First cruise, river or sea, leaving 6 May from Budapest to Amsterdam with Evergreen (Emerald). Have a few weeks before the cruise and a few weeks after the cruise tripping around. have been to Budapest before and is a lovely city.

There doesn't seem to be too much on Cruise Critic about Evergreen, unlike Scenic or others.

Would be interested on others thoughts/comments on their cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with Evergreen. Have taken the lower cabins as think the only time we will be there will be for sleeping. Looking forward to the trip.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Racr said:

First cruise, river or sea, leaving 6 May from Budapest to Amsterdam with Evergreen (Emerald). Have a few weeks before the cruise and a few weeks after the cruise tripping around. have been to Budapest before and is a lovely city.

There doesn't seem to be too much on Cruise Critic about Evergreen, unlike Scenic or others.

Would be interested on others thoughts/comments on their cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with Evergreen. Have taken the lower cabins as think the only time we will be there will be for sleeping. Looking forward to the trip.

Welcome to cruising! We choose the lower level also. On Cruise Critic we lovingly refer to it as Aquarium Class😀. We actually did try a balcony once and for us it was a waste of good money. The open decks on the River Cruise are lovely and inviting. So is the indoor panoramic lounge. We only use our cabin for sleeping and getting ready for meals. Can’t wait to hear about your Evergreen Cruise. 

Edited by Got2Cruise

DH and I booked our first river cruise yesterday. Viking Grand European, Amsterdam to Budapest September 29.  

I was looking at the roll calls and was confused - seemed like all the same cruise were on a single thread, regardless of departure.  This does not seem efficient.  Am I missing something?

14 minutes ago, badtwin said:

DH and I booked our first river cruise yesterday. Viking Grand European, Amsterdam to Budapest September 29.  

I was looking at the roll calls and was confused - seemed like all the same cruise were on a single thread, regardless of departure.  This does not seem efficient.  Am I missing something?

This is correct. Since river cruise ships are typically under 200 passengers per sailing, it is extremely rare when two forum members are booked on the exact cruise. Having all sailings for a particular year allows for a full discussion, and is a great way to keep up with cruise info on a specific itinerary. 

Jeff

1 hour ago, badtwin said:

Also, when excursions are included there isn't the need to organize groups for private tours.