Do AQ Guests have to default to Blu?

DebInAntigua

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

My wife and i both chuckled at the title of this thread and had the same question.

Why would anyone NOT want to eat in the better restaurant?

I know reasonable minds may differ, but we believe Blu to be head and shoulders better than the MDR and can’t imagine switching.

YMMV

A couple of years ago I'd have asked the same question. In december we did back to backs on Summit. We started in the MDR and then moved to Blu. 

Our experience was terrible. We didn't get what we ordered. My rare steak arrived well done. Service was very slow unless you were there waiting for them to open up. The maitre 'd was completely useless. On some nights you'd be half way through your main course before she got to you.

So we went back to the MDR. On one night the Blu maitre d' came and found us in the MDR. It turns out that once you're checked in to any restaurant they can tell via their computer system. He asked very politely if he could ask us why we were in there, so I was brutally open and honest with him. He asked us to come back

In short it all depends on the individual team employed at the time of your cruise. Blu isn't always better than the MDR in our experience. I'm back in AQ in three weeks on Silhouette. I'm hoping it will be a much better experience than Summit if not we'll be back in the specialties and the MDR. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 9:57 AM, villauk said:

Not everyone likes the close proximity of the seating in Blu either. Remember that the Aqua cabin choice is also not to everyone’s liking - most of the cabins are below the overhang and under the pool deck. Aqua was an excellent marketing idea for those cabins in less desirable areas: provide a separate dining area and throw in the PG access and success! Very similar to the S3 cabins on Edge where the MC is situated directly outside their view. Same principle: pax book to get the suite access in a less desired cabin (location wise).

The two tops in M class MDR's are also just as close together as they are in Blu, sadly. 

Hmmmm..some rather diverse viewpoints. Still wondering now if I should go ahead and book MDR for the entire cruise, then cancel as needed?  Would that be confusing to the staff?  I figure we'll certainly start out in Blu and see how we like it. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

On 3/8/2019 at 8:52 PM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Which is great if you need “playmates”. I’m much happier on my own and not feeling tethered to anyone else or their schedule or likes. I have friends at home I am perfectly happy with (they just never can/want to travel the same time I do).

Blu also has a few round 6-top tables, depending on how busy it is at a particular time or whether there are any groups asking to sit together, the maitre'd may randomly ask people if they want to sit there in a group vs waiting.

So that is an option if you decide one evening you want that.

I hear you, sometimes a trip is just about relaxing and unplugging.