Trivia

Holidays galore

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

Interesting discussion! We are used to just doing trivia as a couple and not as members of a big team! I think once on a cruise we had one other couple with us but usually it is just the 2 of us. We don't get involved in discussions of who participated more and who didn't know many answers.

This is supposed to be fun and not the end of the world!

+1. We like sitting in the back, just the 2 of us, and see which of us gets the answer correct. Definitely keeps the stress level low and gives us something to do on sea days after attending the lectures. 

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

+1. We like sitting in the back, just the 2 of us, and see which of us gets the answer correct. Definitely keeps the stress level low and gives us something to do on sea days after attending the lectures. 

Agree ... We like to do the same  when we go to trivia ... just do it with each other for the fun of it.

Some of the trivia  folks take it very seriously!  :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Interesting discussion! We are used to just doing trivia as a couple and not as members of a big team! I think once on a cruise we had one other couple with us but usually it is just the 2 of us. We don't get involved in discussions of who participated more and who didn't know many answers.

This is supposed to be fun and not the end of the world!

Then you should continue doing what you are acccustomed to doing. If you are doing it just for fun, you don’t have to exchange your answers with anyone.

Ditto for Ken & OCruisers - no rule against doing what you are doing - just have fun.

Some people enjoy the competition but you obviously do not - that’s OK.

Edited by Paulchili

I think eight is too many for one team...every other cruise line I have sailed limits teams to six members.   It is hard to communicate quietly with eight team members, and takes too long to decide answers.  JMO....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow. . . The point systems changes up the nature of trivia on Oceania. We have our first Oceania cruise next year and we love playing trivia. Our goal is to win at least one trivia contest per cruise. We generally succeed. 

With cruiselines that allow teams, we like to have international partners who know cricket and soccer!  We helped some Brits and Canadians win when we knew answers to two questions involving U.S. Presidents. We do it for fun and have never argued about an answer even when we thought it was wrong (and later confirmed it for ourselves). (Although only accepting The Netherlands as the answer and not Holland was annoying).  It is a game and we are on a cruise for goodness sake. 

But I dislike having any regular obligations while cruising (besides dinner, of course).  Sometimes I even resent myself for making a spa appointment too early in the day, haha.  Sounds like I will have to come up with a strategy for Oceania!  Maybe just the two of us will play occasionally. Or join a fun group and lets the points achievers do their thing. 

55 minutes ago, muggo11 said:

lthough only accepting The Netherlands as the answer and not Holland was annoying

Annoying - maybe, but correct. Holland is a region in the country of Netherlands:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

When you look at the list of states in UN you will not find Holland but you will find Netherlands.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_United_Nations#Original_members

It’s a little like America vs USA - the continent of America has a lot of countries and USA is just one of them.🙂

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, muggo11 said:

Haha.  So I learned. Blame my education!   Except your analogy is incorrect. North America is the name of the continent. America is just a shortened version of the United States of America. 

Yes - there are the continents of North & South America but they are continents.

America thus is more a continent than a country.

America is no more a country than Holland is - technically speaking; or to play a devil’s advocate, it is a country just like Holland is 🙂

Paul,

I had a geography prof who insisted that "America" was a legitimate shorthand term for the United States as it carried "America" in its title and no other country in North or South America has "America" in its title. 

He also said the US is the only country in the 2 continents whose citizens are called "Americans"  

Hmmm... we were just thinking about checking out Trivia.

This is sounding just a bit off-putting.

But I guess we'll watch a few, to see what the vibe is like :classic_wink:

However, our next O cruise has no sea days, so we may be resting whenever we have a free moment!

And a big part of the rationale for cruising these days (prior to DH eventually retiring, anyway) is for some "serious R&R", with major emphasis on the "rest" part.

[He spent the last 2 days at the hospital with his 98 yo mother, who is now fine again, and back at Assisted Living.  But that's a constant worry, too.  But she's sharp as a tack, and back to volunteering to help organize discussions after showings of TED conferences. I sure hope he has some of her good genes....! SHE would probably do well at Trivia, come to think about it :classic_biggrin:]

When/where does Trivia tend to take place?  (We obviously haven't paid much attention to that on Currents in the past, alas.)

Many thanks!

GC

The “main” team trivia is usually at 4:30 PM in the lounge. Then there is the evening trivia - less formal and usually run by the entertainment team. Sometimes there is a “Name that tune” trivia at the piano bar.

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

The “main” team trivia is usually at 4:30 PM in the lounge. Then there is the evening trivia - less formal and usually run by the entertainment team. Sometimes there is a “Name that tune” trivia at the piano bar.

If onboard, we do the 4:30 trivia BUT if the other players are too too intense, I only will attend the evening trivia, which indeed usually is much more relaxed.  And yes, alcohol (or a good dinner) perhaps affects the attitudes of the participants! 

I’m so glad I saw this thread because I had planned to join Trivia on our cruise in a couple days on Riviera. This is our 8th Oceania cruise since 2013 and I’ve never played because I knew my husband wouldn’t. So I thought I’d give it a try in my own.  But reading these posts has ended that desire!  i play Trivia here in our community and we try to win, but mostly we have fun. I actually thought that was what cruising was, but I would never dare go to afternoon Trivia having seen how unwelcome I could easily be. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HeatherInFlorida said:

So I thought I’d give it a try in my own.  But reading these posts has ended that desire! 

That’s not necessarily true.

Some people are serious players but there are others that do not take it that seriously. Why not join such a team and have fun with them - try it if you enjoy trivia and then decide if it’s fun or not.

• Thanks 1

Sadly, I am a morning person and so by 4 in the afternoon my brain does not work as well!  On a sea day I'd much prefer playing at about 11 AM so I have a feeling that afternoon trivia is not for me.  Name that tune is a different story. Happy to sing along at any time!

I love the afternoon trivia and have been on a couple of teams that won consistently on the last two cruises. However, we had fun and just laughed when we had the wrong answer. We also quietly made fun of the team that was so serious. It is a game and most are there to enjoy it. So please go try and find a good team with like minded people. Julia