Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hflors

Can you use a Future cruise deposit as a down payent for longer cruises?

Posted (edited)

Can you use a future cruise deposit as a down payment for a longer cruise?  I want to take a 32 day cruise in the future.  (2021 isn't available yet) anyway I would like to get some future cruise deposits, but when I called HAL the rep. indicated that I wouldn't be allowed to use them as a deposit for a cruise this long.  Now I am not sure if she was referring to the one for $100 that I already have or what.  I was going to call again, but it seems as if each time I call I always get a different answer to my questions.  I have an upcoming cruise and I plan to buy them then.  What is the amount I would need for a longer cruise like this?  I know a lot of cc members have taken longer cruises so they are going to know for sure if they can or can't be used.   Thanks  Helen

Edited by Hflors
correct sentence

2 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Can you use a future cruise deposit as a down payment for a longer cruise?  I want to take a 32 day cruise in the future.  (2021 isn't available yet) anyway I would like to get some future cruise deposits, but when I called HAL the rep. indicated that I wouldn't be allowed to use them as a deposit for a cruise this long.  Now I am not sure if she was referring to the one for $100 that I already have or what.  I was going to call again, but it seems as if each time I call I always get a different answer to my questions.  I have an upcoming cruise and I plan to buy them then.  What is the amount I would need for a longer cruise like this?  I know a lot of cc members have taken longer cruises so they are going to know for sure if they can or can't be used.   Thanks  Helen

As long as it isn't a Grand Cruise or World Cruise segment, you can use your Future Cruise Deposit for a longer cruise, I believe.  I certainly have.

I just buy the $100 one and if my cruise is longer then they have me make a depsit which equals buying the appropriate FCD.  I believe for a 32 day cruise you would need to pay an extra $400.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, kazu said:

As long as it isn't a Grand Cruise or World Cruise segment, you can use your Future Cruise Deposit for a longer cruise, I believe.  I certainly have.

I just buy the $100 one and if my cruise is longer then they have me make a depsit which equals buying the appropriate FCD.  I believe for a 32 day cruise you would need to pay an extra $400.

I usually buy the FCD for the obc.  Do you know if the longer cruise qualifies for a larger obc?   I tried to find out on HALs website, but alas no luck.  (useless site)

Edited by Hflors

Posted (edited)

A cruise of 32 days requires an FCD of $300 pp.  I've also done the same as Kazu, used a $100 FCD and topped it up to the $300.  

Or, you could just buy an FCD for $300 (or book the cruise onboard with a $300 deposit).  You'll get the same OBC whether you buy an FCD or book onboard.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

There is also something called a Future Cruise Request that you can purchase onboard to get on a waitlist of those first notified for a cruise that is not yet published.  Regardless of the length, it is $100. I'm not sure how it works from there. Perhaps, when they call you an additional deposit is needed to secure your cabin? Cruises 22-50 days require a $300 deposit when booked onboard. Hopefully others will chime in...

27 minutes ago, Hflors said:

I usually buy the FCD for the obc.  Do you know if the longer cruise qualifies for a larger obc?   I tried to find out on HALs website, but alas no luck.  (useless site)

Yes it did.

12 minutes ago, HALrunner said:

There is also something called a Future Cruise Request that you can purchase onboard to get on a waitlist of those first notified for a cruise that is not yet published.  Regardless of the length, it is $100. I'm not sure how it works from there. Perhaps, when they call you an additional deposit is needed to secure your cabin? Cruises 22-50 days require a $300 deposit when booked onboard. Hopefully others will chime in...

Thanks for the info I will check into it.

Just now, kazu said:

Yes it did.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, HALrunner said:

Yes, and you can do that for Grand Voyages, BUT, once you actually book the GV, you have to come up with a regular deposit of several thousands.  The FCD, as it pertains to GV's, only works to put you on a list pending publication of the cruise.

We just did it recently. Had done the $100 FCD  three years ago. We wanted to book a 28 day and they just had us pay what the FCD would have been for a cruise that length.