Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
belliellie

how do I search a specific thread/topic which is many pages long

Recommended Posts

How do I search a specific topic (eg. regarding shore excusions) which is many pages long. At the moment all I can do is

read through the whole thing every time I need to look something up. It has been suggested to search my emails which have

the notifications in them but they don't all appear either. This is so very time consuming - there must be a better way

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go to the thread. Click in the search box (the small one immediately below your user name). Click in the radio button for This Topic. Then enter your search term and search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

Go to the thread. Click in the search box (the small one immediately below your user name). Click in the radio button for This Topic. Then enter your search term and search.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not getting it to work. I have gone to two locations. One is the small print of my name which is above the larger square that has my first initial in. If I hover over that small print it a drop-down appears which has a search icon (magnifying glass) in it. The second option I tried is to click on the large coloured square with my first initial in it. That also produces a search icon. However in both cases I cannot enter text into that area - I can only seem to click on the search icon. That takes me to a page that shows all the messages I have written. I was wanting to find messages in a given topic. I am trying to follow a topic about various shore excursions along the way but seem to be unable to enter the name of a port, for example, and get a result from within the topic/thread unless I have written about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, belliellie said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not getting it to work. I have gone to two locations. One is the small print of my name which is above the larger square that has my first initial in. If I hover over that small print it a drop-down appears which has a search icon (magnifying glass) in it. The second option I tried is to click on the large coloured square with my first initial in it. That also produces a search icon. However in both cases I cannot enter text into that area - I can only seem to click on the search icon. That takes me to a page that shows all the messages I have written. I was wanting to find messages in a given topic. I am trying to follow a topic about various shore excursions along the way but seem to be unable to enter the name of a port, for example, and get a result from within the topic/thread unless I have written about it.

 

This screen shot should help you.  Open the thread (called a "Topic" here on CC) that you want to search.   Then, in the upper right below your screen name, you'll see the search oval. Click on that to get the pull down menu, and choose "This Topic," which will limit your search to the existing thread.  Go back to the search oval, type in your search term, and then click the magnifying glass.   (You will not see this screen view on an iPad unless it's oriented horizontally, and you will not see this at all on a phone.  This is the normal view you'll see on desktops and laptops.)

 

Let us know if you are still having a problem.

 

enhance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

 

This screen shot should help you.  Open the thread (called a "Topic" here on CC) that you want to search.   Then, in the upper right below your screen name, you'll see the search oval. Click on that to get the pull down menu, and choose "This Topic," which will limit your search to the existing thread.  Go back to the search oval, type in your search term, and then click the magnifying glass.   (You will not see this screen view on an iPad unless it's oriented horizontally, and you will not see this at all on a phone.  This is the normal view you'll see on desktops and laptops.)

 

Let us know if you are still having a problem.

 

enhance

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!! I think that did it! So very obvious once you know but certainly not to me without knowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it is odd that you have completely different search options you can select on a phone, vs. what you can select on an iPad or computer.  They should be striving for consistency across platforms.  That is the whole idea of making things mobile friendly.

 

i always have my phone with me, not my computer or iPad.  I hate that searches I can easily narrow down on an iPad or computer can not be done on a phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 2:37 PM, Turtles06 said:

 

 (You will not see this screen view on an iPad unless it's oriented horizontally, and you will not see this at all on a phone.  This is the normal view you'll see on desktops and laptops.)

 

Let us know if you are still having a problem.

 

enhance

 

Thank you for this statement! I have been going crazy trying to find the search bar on my iPad. I turned it and there it was! Yay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...