Need lots of Galveston/Houston Info

HB Cruiser

We are sailing from Galveston at the end of May. Looking to fly into Houston on either Friday or Saturday for a Sunday departure and flying back either on the following Sunday or early Monday.

We are wanting to visit the Johnson Space Center while there either the day before (Sat) we cruise or the afternoon (Sun) after the cruise. Can anyone suggest hotels in the Houston area to stay on the day we visit the space center? Also where to stay pre/post cruise? Transportation to/from Houston?

Hate to ask all this but don't have time to research like I need to.

THANKS in advance!!!

Here's a link to the Space Center Visitor page to give you an idea of what they have to offer, hours, prices etc. Have not been there yet but would plan on a few hours to be able to see everything.

Space Center Houston

There a a lot of hotels around the area of the Space Center to chose from. The only one I have experience with is the Hilton Garden Inn on Bay Area Blvd. Nice place but does not look to have any availability on the website during your stay.

blob.png.6a2fc4215759b30d9591655fc1433bad.png

If your wanting to stay near the airport it would help us to know which airport Bush (furthest from Space Center and Port) or Hoby (Closest and prefered) you plan on flying into.

As for transportation there are many choice's there as well from Uber to Lyft to shuttles etc. Scroll down on the main topic board here and you'll see a few that are currently active for Hotels and Transportation options.

Edited by SciFiGuy1960

On 3/9/2019 at 12:46 PM, HB Cruiser said:

We are flying into Hoby.

Coming into Hobby there are plenty of hotels close to the airport to chose from some within close proximity to restaurants and such.

And you'd be about a 20 min drive to the Houston Space Center and about 45 - 60 mins from the cruise port.

blob.png.093f6f55e0ae0edc41e41d9e6a04cbc6.png

As for transportation I went ahead and picked a random hotel as a pick up point to get an estimate from Uber

blob.png.054a4bd1377e1ae2899a8d067fa8b2cd.png

And then from the same hotel to the cruise port. Not sure if you're sailing Carnival or Royal so I use Royal's terminal as an example. However these are examples and the prices may go up some due to surge pricing.  

blob.png.f87202731333674aa9d18fe122bf5115.png

Although I've never had to use them I have heard a lot of positive comments in regards to VIP Express (Linky) from others here and on the main LIberty of the Seas FB page.

Anyway hope this helps in you planning and any more questions please post away :classic_smile: and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

The Hilton Houston Clear Lake is directly across the street from the Space Center. It is also about 10 minutes from the Kemah boatkwalk which is a fun place to visit for dinner. The drive to the port is about 30 minutes from the hotel. 

On 3/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, HB Cruiser said:

We are sailing from Galveston at the end of May. Looking to fly into Houston on either Friday or Saturday for a Sunday departure and flying back either on the following Sunday or early Monday.

We are wanting to visit the Johnson Space Center while there either the day before (Sat) we cruise or the afternoon (Sun) after the cruise. Can anyone suggest hotels in the Houston area to stay on the day we visit the space center? Also where to stay pre/post cruise? Transportation to/from Houston?

Hate to ask all this but don't have time to research like I need to.

THANKS in advance!!!

There are a lot of hotels in that area.  Its a really great area near restaurants and while not as touristy as Galveston, it's also not as expensive. Sister travels for business so she has piles of miles. 

Hampton Inn Houston NASA Johnson Space Center
3000 Nasa Road One
Seabrook TX 77586, US
T: +1 2815329200

• 2 weeks later...

We've had good luck  staying at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport
8181 Airport Boulevard, Houston, TX 77061
T:  1 713-645-3000
imp_H_2400033_478674632_433274653.gif.  For transportation to/from Galveston try VIP Express, call and ask for Emanuele.  He provides great service at reasonable price.

As someone who lives here, I would recommend staying in the Webster area (close to Space Center Houston) as opposed to staying near Hobby airport. More to do in Webster area, better neighborhood, & more restaurants. As some one else stated the Kemah boardwalk is not far from the Space center and has lots to do and large number of restaurants around it. Also Baybrook mall is close by with lots of restaurants and shopping if you need any last minute items you might have forgot. If you do stay near there a great breakfast place close by is the Seabrook Waffle Company they are amazing. I know its a chain restaurant but the BJ's brew house on bayarea blvd is amazing, Nobi Public House is a great Asian fusion restaurant with an amazing beer selction. Hope this helps.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:16 PM, melmar02 said:

The Hilton Houston Clear Lake is directly across the street from the Space Center. It is also about 10 minutes from the Kemah boatkwalk which is a fun place to visit for dinner. The drive to the port is about 30 minutes from the hotel. 

Actually, they are about a mile and a half apart. The closest hotel to NASA is the Marriott Courtyard in Nassau Bay. Lots of quick eats within walking distance and the facility is about 30 years newer.
 Kemah Boardwalk is five miles from Space Center Houston.

Edited by BallFour4

5 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

Actually, they are about a mile and a half apart. The closest hotel to NASA is the Marriott Courtyard in Nassau Bay. Lots of quick eats within walking distance and the facility is about 30 years newer.
 Kemah Boardwalk is five miles from Space Center Houston.

Thanks - it's been about 8 years, so I'm not surprised my memory was a little off.