Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Tracey.kinney425

Talk to me about Duct/Grafers tape.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Also WD-40 works great on arthritis.

 

Surely a good spray before you leave home will be sufficient. Otherwise, it is not a very good remedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bizmark'sMom said:

I've read that. Does it actually work?

Another use for duct tape - blisters. Put some gauze on the blister itself, duct tape over that. It sticks longer than bandaid do, and takes care of all of the friction issues.  Doesn't look so nice, but if the blister is bad, I don't care.

But if you use duct tape it may cause more blisters and then it will go on and on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the blister issue goes on and on, it's time to toss the shoes and go with flip flops. Or barefoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

If the blister issue goes on and on, it's time to toss the shoes and go with flip flops. Or barefoot.

Excellent, just make sure they have sparkles on the bands so you can wear them into the MDR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chief93 said:

Gaffers tape does not leave residue on a surface when removed.  It is also ridiculously expensive.

 

It's only expensive relative to duct tape.

 

But when you want the properties of gaffer tape (fabric vs plastic, adhesive qualities) over duct tape, the cost becomes reasonable.

 

You get what you pay for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I've read that. Does it actually work?

Another use for duct tape - blisters. Put some gauze on the blister itself, duct tape over that. It sticks longer than bandaid do, and takes care of all of the friction issues.  Doesn't look so nice, but if the blister is bad, I don't care.

I know a lot of blokes who swear by it for arthritic knees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After being dropped off at airport, the handle of my rolling suitcase self destructed. Five minutes with the tape and I was set for the rest of the trip. 

If possible find a used roll with less than a 1/2" left. Step on it to flatten it and store in a packed shoe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

After being dropped off at airport, the handle of my rolling suitcase self destructed. Five minutes with the tape and I was set for the rest of the trip. 

If possible find a used roll with less than a 1/2" left. Step on it to flatten it and store in a packed shoe.

Is this so no one will steal it?   I take it you bring it and the shoe on your trip.:classic_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duct tape is an old backpacker's packing must.  Covering blisters, tent fixes, taping flashlight to a tree or tent pole, putting on the toe of your boot for extra "waterproofing" pre-Goretex days...   I've always carried a little duct tape with me on my travels.  I keep a roll of it at my Front Desk at the hotel for a multitude of emergencies with hems, luggage, holding things together.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

duct tape in lieu of handcuffs :classic_biggrin::classic_rolleyes::classic_wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we always take some gaffer tape :classic_biggrin:  over the years it has been used to emergency repair  a couple  broken suitcases, broken strap on walking sandals,  repair ripped waterproof jacket, secure cabinet drawer when travelling with toddler and repair prescription sunglasses.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 11:53 AM, shof515 said:

i have done like 11 cruises and never need duct/gaffer tape or any other kind of tape..strange..

It's like accident insurance. You don't need it until you need it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jlp20 said:

If possible find a used roll with less than a 1/2" left. Step on it to flatten it and store in a packed shoe.

I just wrap a reasonable length around the stub of a pencil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they do a travel-size WD40?  Lots of times we’ve had a squeaky bathroom door or cabin door.  I’ve fixed it with soap or a little shampoo, but sometimes it has to be done again in a few days.  

 

If you use it for arthritis, do you just spray the sore joint with it?  I’m not sure I’d want to smell like WD40 all day, though.

 

I only brought duct duct tape on a cruise once, because I’d read about the connecting doors on Costa, in case of smoking neighbours in the days when smoking in the cabins was allowed.  We taped all around the connecting door, and it really helped.  Now I bring a couple of magnetic clips for curtains and things like that.  When not in use, I can stick them to the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I wonder if they do a travel-size WD40?  Lots of times we’ve had a squeaky bathroom door or cabin door.  I’ve fixed it with soap or a little shampoo, but sometimes it has to be done again in a few days.  

 

If you use it for arthritis, do you just spray the sore joint with it?  I’m not sure I’d want to smell like WD40 all day, though.

 

I only brought duct duct tape on a cruise once, because I’d read about the connecting doors on Costa, in case of smoking neighbours in the days when smoking in the cabins was allowed.  We taped all around the connecting door, and it really helped.  Now I bring a couple of magnetic clips for curtains and things like that.  When not in use, I can stick them to the wall.

Yep WD40 comes in a travel size

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, Kartgv said:

We've used it several times for luggage repair, a ripped hem, and once in very rough seas to tape some loose cabinet doors shut and extra hangars together to stop the banging.   

We survived a night years ago of closet doors and desk drawers slamming open and shut. 

I don't think that would happen today, but I’d have paid a lot to have duct tape that night.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always bring some sort of tape and we've used it for:

  •      Repairing the hem on my dress
  •      Taping the cabin curtains shut when they tend to move (not all cabins/not all ships)
  •      Repairing my glasses
  •      On my first cruise, the air conditioner worked but it didn't deliver throughout the entire cabin, actually       it pretty much was cool on the ceiling and that was it so I built an air duct to deliver air down into the       actual cabin using duct tape (yes, I'm a girl)
  •      I've actually had to repair my rolling backpack (carries my snorkel equipment and my heavy wet               beach towel)
  •      Finally, we've used it to wrap liquor bottles purchased inside clothing or towels for the air trip home,         but I don't recommend duct tape for this one, maybe electrical tape!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, 2wheelin said:

I just wrap several feet of it the long way around an old gift card (or hard plastic the size of a credit card) and slip it in my emergency items bag. Takes up no more room than a couple credit cards and have used it on occasion. Hem, tear in a back pack or luggage, shoe, purse strap. There are literally hundreds of uses. Could even tape down the shower curtain if you are one who has a problem being “attacked” by it. Lol

 

This is what I do.  A pencil or pen works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I wonder if they do a travel-size WD40?  Lots of times we’ve had a squeaky bathroom door or cabin door.  I’ve fixed it with soap or a little shampoo, but sometimes it has to be done again in a few days.  

 

Any oil will work.


A travel size baby oil or massage oil works fine.  Or some vegetable/olive oil from the salad bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SRF said:

 

Any oil will work.


A travel size baby oil or massage oil works fine.  Or some vegetable/olive oil from the salad bar.

Yep, just squeeze your room service lettuce over the hinge and presto, no more squeaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, just squeeze your room service lettuce over the hinge and presto, no more squeaks.

 

I was thinking to take something like a small to go cup, or a used coffee creamer container to put a bit of salad oil in. 😄

 

But feel free to include vinegar and spices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SRF said:

 

I was thinking to take something like a small to go cup, or a used coffee creamer container to put a bit of salad oil in. 😄

 

But feel free to include vinegar and spices.

That would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

occasionally the captain will make an announcement asking if any one has some ....

fantasycrunch.jpg

shipcrunch.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...