Jump to content

Life In An Edge Suite: How Sweet Is The Edge Suite Life?


vtcruising
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just wanted to let people who want to try the Edge suite life know that I've noticed a price decrease on the S3's recently. They are now often priced $800-1600 (for two people) less than the S2's, when they used to be only $100-200 less. I have seen some Jan-Mar 2020 cruises at  3319-3419 PP, which is as low as they have been in a long time. I have been watching certain dates and one just went up today $250 PP so thought I would let people know, since some people have mentioned that they would like to try an Edge suite if the price dropped.

 

The S3 isn't for everyone. As you know, they are inside the Magic Carpet track. We have had a few reviewed for the cabin sticky and I have seen a couple of them. The bed doesn't face the ocean, but they are nice suites with all the Retreat benefits and Luminae and are centrally located. The balconies vary in desirability, IMO, with those on decks 11-12 having the spikes in front of their balconies when the MC is on 14. The S3's on 6 have some MC obstruction when it is docked on 5. They all have balconies that are quite large and are wide enough for loungers.

 

I personally would choose decks 8-10 and an end one if you want the balcony window (the end ones do have some of the orange MC rail in the corner of the balcony, but the balconies appear larger). The views straight out on the balconies are good, though there will be a partial obstruction to the sides with the rails there. I have seen a review for an end one on deck 7 that was positive though when the MC was on 5, you look down onto the top of the MC. The MC only moves a couple of times a day and no one has really complained about that in the S3's - in fact they seemed to enjoy watching it move (3-5 minutes). A couple of deck 12 S3's have been reported as having intermittent annoying noises inside the living area (may have been fixed by now, but unsure).

 

Anyway, I did book one at the lower rate  - with Luminae, the Retreat Lounge and Sundeck and all 4 perks, it seems fairly reasonable. Though I would prefer an S1 or S2, to me they aren't worth the $1200 difference.

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, colocop004 said:

I just found this thread and found it to be most informative.  Thanks!

 

We will be sailing in an Edge Villa on Dec 1st and will try to remember to post in this thread regarding our experience.

 

It is just over 6 months away and I already can not wait!!!

You will certainly get a lot of exercise and be close to all the suite sites...Luminae, TheRetreat and the rest...enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Be warned about the Infinite Verandas on the Edge. If one person gets up early and wants to sit on the Balcony and opens the shade, The WHOLE cabin is flooded with light and the 2nd person could wake up. CEL need to add a 2nd dark Curtin at the start of the Balcony to keep the light out. They are testing adding Tint or frosting to the Glass. This will not work!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tapemann said:

Be warned about the Infinite Verandas on the Edge. If one person gets up early and wants to sit on the Balcony and opens the shade, The WHOLE cabin is flooded with light and the 2nd person could wake up. CEL need to add a 2nd dark Curtin at the start of the Balcony to keep the light out. They are testing adding Tint or frosting to the Glass. This will not work!

 

None of the suites have infinite verandas - they have balconies with curtains so does not apply to the thread topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

None of the suites have infinite verandas - they have balconies with curtains so does not apply to the thread topic.

Marilynn, this poster had repeated the same mantra about the IV's 15 times on different threads.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Marilynn, this poster had repeated the same mantra about the IV's 15 times on different threads.

I saw that this poster has been busy today. 🙂   I usually ignore such posts, but decided to post the correct info on the suite and SV threads so that people new to CC and thinking of booking or booked on the Edge don't think the SV's and Suites have infinite verandas. There is enough misinformation out there. Thanks for the heads up! 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, C-Dragons said:

Marilynn, this poster had repeated the same mantra about the IV's 15 times on different threads.

 

Add my name to the list of those of us who have noticed the same mantra on a variety of threads...maybe just stuck in a rut about the IV's or something else...maybe does not know the difference between an IV and a suite...or maybe just out for a troll...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

vtcruising - thanks for this great thread. Do you know if there's been a change to the balcony furniture in the SS cabins?

 

Lastdance may come back and say for sure, since she was just in one. The last I heard was that there was the nice coffee table inside and someone said they were getting a balcony table, but not sure if that has happened. Everyone can get loungers, if they wish, from the reports (many balconies already have them). If you look at this photo of the aft on a recent cruise, it looks like every aft S1 has 2 loungers. 😊

 

image.thumb.png.be7e06d1f3eee8af3baf38deac267072.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

vtcruising - thanks for this great thread. Do you know if there's been a change to the balcony furniture in the SS cabins?

 

We were in a SS1 on the aft on the Edge TA. The chairs that are in all the IV's are still on the verandahs of the Sky Suites, as well as the teeny tiny tables. Loungers have been added. We were fortunate to get a decent table for dining on our verandah, which our Butler provided. We were told that X has ordered new tables for the suite verandahs (and new coffee tables for inside) but no timetable for when they will be replaced.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

We were in a SS1 on the aft on the Edge TA. The chairs that are in all the IV's are still on the verandahs of the Sky Suites, as well as the teeny tiny tables. Loungers have been added. We were fortunate to get a decent table for dining on our verandah, which our Butler provided. We were told that X has ordered new tables for the suite verandahs (and new coffee tables for inside) but no timetable for when they will be replaced.

Thanks.....we sail on Sept 30. Maybe they'll be there by then. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't think my small question was worthy of its own thread, so I thought I'd ask in this "suite life" thread and hope that @vtcruising or other Edge experts can help.

 

I'm cruising on the Apex in April in a suite, and I'm wondering if it is possible for us to book a dinner in one of the MDRs?  We are huge fans of Greek food, and the sample specialities menu at Cyprus looks right up our alley.  But I'm not sure if we are able to take up that space in Cyprus that would otherwise be available to others.  I see it in our cruise planner, but don't know if that's dispositive.

 

Thanks!

Edited by JMB27
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JMB27 said:

I didn't think my small question was worthy of its own thread, so I thought I'd ask in this "suite life" thread and hope that @vtcruising or other Edge experts can help.

 

I'm cruising on the Apex in April in a suite, and I'm wondering if it is possible for us to book a dinner in one of the MDRs?  We are huge fans of Greek food, and the sample specialities menu at Cyprus looks right up our alley.  But I'm not sure if we are able to take up that space in Cyprus that would otherwise be available to others.  I see it in our cruise planner, but don't know if that's dispositive.

 

Thanks!

Yes, you can. You can chat with your butler or one of the Retreat Lounge concierges and they will check on available times and make a reservation for you. 

 

I will also be on the Apex in April and can't wait! :classic_smile:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JMB27 said:

I didn't think my small question was worthy of its own thread, so I thought I'd ask in this "suite life" thread and hope that @vtcruising or other Edge experts can help.

 

I'm cruising on the Apex in April in a suite, and I'm wondering if it is possible for us to book a dinner in one of the MDRs?  We are huge fans of Greek food, and the sample specialities menu at Cyprus looks right up our alley.  But I'm not sure if we are able to take up that space in Cyprus that would otherwise be available to others.  I see it in our cruise planner, but don't know if that's dispositive.

 

Thanks!

If you sail in a suite you can get a reservation in the MDR, Luminae and even Blu.  Some here would ask that you check the waiting list for Blu to find a time when you do not compete with Aqua class diners as it is their restaurant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vtcruising said:

But of course! April 5th!! 😀

 

I can’t wait to read it!  Thanks so much for the reply to my question.  Can hardly wait!

 

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If you sail in a suite you can get a reservation in the MDR, Luminae and even Blu.  Some here would ask that you check the waiting list for Blu to find a time when you do not compete with Aqua class diners as it is their restaurant.

 

Oh, I’d love to try Blu, too!  Great point about not interfering with the Aqua class folks.  Thanks for the advice!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I'm curious, is it difficult to go from staying in a suite ( on a particular cruise) to a regular AQ or balcony room( on your next cruise)?  

Been there, done that! Had a wonderful time, but did look longingly at Michaels Club at times as we walked by. Also missed the space in the cabin as we always seem to need to go around the foot of the bed at the same time! 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...