Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
littysmom

Stingray's and turtle farm combination excursion

Recommended Posts

Hi, I we are sailing to Grand Cayman next month. Can anybody recommend an excursion that includes a Turtle farm, and Stingray adventure combination?

Thanks so much.

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did not do the combo. We just did the turtle farm last year. It was AMAZING! And I'm glad we just did one cause we spent all day at the turtle farm and had a great day! Plenty to do and their man made snorkel area is really cool. And the time you get to spend with the turtles is so much fun. After you go through the tour you can do whatever you want. Go back and touch the turtles, go snorkeling and swim with them, eat, go to the little aviary they have or shop at the gift shop. We spent most of the day snorkeling. I hope someone can help you with the combo one, but thought I'd share our experience 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the Carnival Breeze and we booked with Carnival. It was our first time to Cayman and we didn't feel comfortable booking with anyone else yet. (fairly new cruisers lol, only taking our third one this year). Not sure what company they used if they source that out. They were great, had plenty of time. shore excursioner probably has some available. Not sure on price comparisons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did this combo tour which also included a stop in Hell.  Tourist area where there are weird rock formations.  We just booked the ship tour.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 4:44 PM, nicoleinwi said:

We did this combo tour which also included a stop in Hell.  Tourist area where there are weird rock formations.  We just booked the ship tour.  

 

Nicoleinwi.....

this is the exact tour we (4 older adults) are looking to do...stingray swim, turtles and Hell.  We have no real thoughts/desire to snorkel. We will be coming in next February 12th on NCL at 11am. and leaving port at 6pm. With having to Tender I figure we safely have about 5 hours.  How long was your overall tour,, and do you have any other thoughts or suggestions about how to best do this?  We ‘normally’ do private tours so anykind of suggestions - ship or private would be appreciated. 

 

Thank you!

Edited by Buck1949

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buck1949 said:

 

Nicoleinwi.....

this is the exact tour we (4 older adults) are looking to do...stingray swim, turtles and Hell.  We have no real thoughts/desire to snorkel. We will be coming in next February 12th on NCL at 11am. and leaving port at 6pm. With having to Tender I figure we safely have about 5 hours.  How long was your overall tour,, and do you have any other thoughts or suggestions about how to best do this?  We ‘normally’ do private tours so anykind of suggestions - ship or private would be appreciated. 

 

Thank you!

 

We were in port 8-4 and our tour started at 9. I don’t recall how long it was but after the tour I think we had maybe an hour to wander shops. 

 

We aren’t usually into ship tours either, but did for this one.  I think the reason was either we could find a private tour to do all 3, or the tour started too early and with tendering we didn’t want to risk not getting on 1st tender.  The only nice thing about the ship tour is you don’t have to worry about tender tix, as you’ll have priority to get off.  Unknown to us though, the tour met on the pier and we were easily able to get on the 1st tender and just looked around port (nothing was open) before we met.  With your later port call people might be ready to get on land and still not finishing up breakfast like we had.  

 

You didn’t actually snorkel with the stingrays (or maybe you could, we didn’t).  It is so packed with boats you basically stay near your boat and just stand in the water.  I’m 5’7 and depth was about chest high.  The stingrays are just swimming all around you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nicoleinwi said:

 

We were in port 8-4 and our tour started at 9. I don’t recall how long it was but after the tour I think we had maybe an hour to wander shops. 

 

We aren’t usually into ship tours either, but did for this one.  I think the reason was either we could find a private tour to do all 3, or the tour started too early and with tendering we didn’t want to risk not getting on 1st tender.  The only nice thing about the ship tour is you don’t have to worry about tender tix, as you’ll have priority to get off.  Unknown to us though, the tour met on the pier and we were easily able to get on the 1st tender and just looked around port (nothing was open) before we met.  With your later port call people might be ready to get on land and still not finishing up breakfast like we had.  

 

You didn’t actually snorkel with the stingrays (or maybe you could, we didn’t).  It is so packed with boats you basically stay near your boat and just stand in the water.  I’m 5’7 and depth was about chest high.  The stingrays are just swimming all around you.  

 

Great information. Thank you very much !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, mamabearjp said:

We were on the Carnival Breeze and we booked with Carnival. It was our first time to Cayman and we didn't feel comfortable booking with anyone else yet. (fairly new cruisers lol, only taking our third one this year). Not sure what company they used if they source that out. They were great, had plenty of time. shore excursioner probably has some available. Not sure on price comparisons.

Did you have young children with you? Bringing our grand daughters age 5,3 and 20 months. Would they like it? Even if you didn’t have children with you, did you observe that it was an ok excursion for the young ones? Did parents hold the child or did they go in with swim aids?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh most definitely very neat for young ones. Not sure about the 20 month old as far as fun. We did not have our son with us, but he is 9 and I would definitely think he would like it. I can't answer for sure about the swim aids (sorry! not much help). I can't remember if they had a playground (you might look it up, we were all adults and my kiddo is a little older and I think he'd have fun snorkeling with us so that's why i think he'd like it) I think overall it's a very good family friendly place, but as far as them being entertained for hours and highlight of their trip I'm not sure. They have other attractions like the bird avairy and the shark tank and some walking around to do. I think it would be better than a beach day in my opinion. 🙂 Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...