whats going on with these skyrocketing prices

smith6

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry not done Arcadia but reviews are good. I am sure you will have a great time. As long as you remember that P&O is different and more British you will be fine. Happy sailing 😉

That’s what puts us off as we like a good international mix of pax. We are sailing Princess again this year for our main summer holiday. It was a no brainer: 13 nights in a proper balcony costing less than 7 nights with a pull down window on X.

Oh, and I agree about the art work - definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by villauk
  • Like 1

I have to say I’ve been very lucky the past three years on my ta crossings. And now I’m doing a transpacific, two adults inside for just $1033 for 14 nights. What a steal. Plus we are elite and get unlimited drinks for two hours a night. There are bargains pu5 there if you are flexibl3 and look for them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 3carfan said:

Is that the January 31 2020 cruise you mean tha went up

Feb 14 was the cruise.  Now something is going on as it is no longer listed.  There were plenty of rooms about 10 days ago.  Not sure what...

Pricing for Celebrity Equinox Dec 2019 vs Dec 2018 (western caribbean christmas cruise)

Veranda Stateroom Deck 8 MIDSHIP

2018 3400$ CAD with 2 perks (gratuities and internet) included

2019 6666$ CAD without perks (as of today)

As stated by many, these prices won't stand the test of time. I know Equinox is going thru refurbishment but I will keep waiting for a better offer.

41 minutes ago, mhafod said:

Pricing for Celebrity Equinox Dec 2019 vs Dec 2018 (western caribbean christmas cruise)

Veranda Stateroom Deck 8 MIDSHIP

2018 3400$ CAD with 2 perks (gratuities and internet) included

2019 6666$ CAD without perks (as of today)

As stated by many, these prices won't stand the test of time. I know Equinox is going thru refurbishment but I will keep waiting for a better offer.

I am booked on the Edge TA coming up, and have another X booked later in the year.  With the the pricing on the Edge I will probably not sail X again.  Booked an infinity balcony "Pres cruise" at a price I thought was high, but the experience would be worth it.  The ship was sold out- our E3 went from $3000 to $5500pp!  Now after final payment down to $1750!  We upgraded to Aq for good price.  With the high prices now and thinking someone will (me?) can get the same cabin for 1/2 price.....Why not just price the cabins realistically in the first place?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

I am booked on the Edge TA coming up, and have another X booked later in the year.  With the the pricing on the Edge I will probably not sail X again.  Booked an infinity balcony "Pres cruise" at a price I thought was high, but the experience would be worth it.  The ship was sold out- our E3 went from $3000 to $5500pp!  Now after final payment down to $1750!  We upgraded to Aq for good price.  With the high prices now and thinking someone will (me?) can get the same cabin for 1/2 price.....Why not just price the cabins realistically in the first place?  

I was just looking at the price drops on Edge, holy smokes, I’d be pissed. Both the TA and the repo down to the Med are bargains now. 

We just booked 24 days on HAL with a drink package for the Med next year. Really good itinerary. We paid $13,700 cdn for a balcony. I can get a similar itinerary, same weeks on X but a couple of days less for $22,000 cdn. Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer X but not at that price  difference, plus 3 extra days and a great itinerary, HAL will be getting our 2020 dollars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

We just booked 24 days on HAL with a drink package for the Med next year. Really good itinerary. We paid $13,700 cdn for a balcony. I can get a similar itinerary, same weeks on X but a couple of days less for $22,000 cdn. Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer X but not at that price  difference, plus 3 extra days and a great itinerary, HAL will be getting our 2020 dollars. 

Funny, I was looking at some nice long HAL itineraries in the paper today!  It's almost tempting to cancel our South America cruise and go with them.

I think the amount of Edge cruises on  the exceptional deals which are published every Tues tells the story.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Funny, I was looking at some nice long HAL itineraries in the paper today!  It's almost tempting to cancel our South America cruise and go with them.

I think the amount of Edge cruises on  the exceptional deals which are published every Tues tells the story.

They have some exceptional itineraries for next year. You should check them out. 

Celebrity's 2020/21 pricing for the Caribbean pushed us to Holland America. We are getting a true partial Panama Canal transit on the Zuiderdam (with a beverage package and 1 night specialty dining $200 onboard credit, and pre-paid tips) for about $1100 less than an equivalent room (with beverage package, $300 onboard credit and prepaid tips) on the Reflection. The Reflection docked in Panama but did not do a partial transit.  For an 11 day cruise I do not consider Celebrity to be worth $50pp/day more. 

I will keep checking Celebrity for future cruises, but I want a fair value when compared to other similar lines.  Right now I'm not seeing it. 

We changed our cruise line this year after 23 Celebrity cruises and  booked 3 MSC Yacht Club-- we have done 1 and 2 to go total 8 weeks. The thinking was do it and see how they rate, it is OK downside is food not like Blu or Luminae and the soups are something to avoid for us!!

The pricing for MSC YC are also up as they did status match and YC prices were very good, but the Caribbean we did in January is up around 30% for next year. Will probably book one more as we have approx 15% discount if we book by 21st April 2019 just looking for an itinerary.  

Next year we have a Princess cruise at the back end our first with them since Dec 2011, but we got a decent price to follow it on Solstice doing Pacific Islands.

We made the decision to shop around and use the loyalty we built on other lines.

10 hours ago, dundeelass said:

I have to say I’ve been very lucky the past three years on my ta crossings. And now I’m doing a transpacific, two adults inside for just $1033 for 14 nights. What a steal. Plus we are elite and get unlimited drinks for two hours a night. There are bargains pu5 there if you are flexibl3 and look for them.

Is your TP one in the far north, Japan-Vancouver?  That TP always seems to have low fares.

We did a TP last April/May on Explorer of the Seas with Royal from Sydney to Seattle.  It was 23 days and great.  We picked it over Celebrity's TP due to length and price.

• Like 1

Yes it is tokyo to Vancouver. I agree with folks saying that the prices are high for the edge, give it time and it will come down like they all do, it’s new and fabby, but in a few years just be like the allure ect. If you have time and search yourself there is always bargains, travel agencies don’t always look for them lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dundeelass said:

Yes it is tokyo to Vancouver. I agree with folks saying that the prices are high for the edge, give it time and it will come down like they all do, it’s new and fabby, but in a few years just be like the allure ect. If you have time and search yourself there is always bargains, travel agencies don’t always look for them lol

Unfortunately, not everyone can be as flexible with dates and this is where the best deals usually are. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OC SeaPA said:

The ship was sold out- our E3 went from $3000 to $5500pp!  Now after final payment down to $1750!  We upgraded to Aq for good price.

The moral, wait until after final payment if your dates are flexible.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

They have some exceptional itineraries for next year. You should check them out. 

Our transpacific to Japan got altered and downgraded on the Millennium this year, after weeks of secret charter planning.  4-5 cruises disappeared, we were told that they had all sold out.  Only those who booked direct with X were first told the news, with a temporary $200 offer to switch.  Luckily we were on CC to move in time, and booked Hawaii as had just been cut by 25% (soon to be 50%).  We were hesitant to try HAL at the time, but so glad X gave us the boot, comparing these two sailings:

May 2020 - 12 Nights Millennium, 2 ports, Sky Suite $3,749

May 2020 - 16 Nights Westerdam, 7 ports, Signature Suite, $2,199

No perks on X.  HAL could still offer something, and we'll own 100 shares of Carnival stock by then, for $250 OBC.  

6 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Celebrity's 2020/21 pricing for the Caribbean pushed us to Holland America. We are getting a true partial Panama Canal transit on the Zuiderdam (with a beverage package and 1 night specialty dining $200 onboard credit, and pre-paid tips) for about $1100 less than an equivalent room (with beverage package, $300 onboard credit and prepaid tips) on the Reflection. The Reflection docked in Panama but did not do a partial transit.  For an 11 day cruise I do not consider Celebrity to be worth $50pp/day more. 

I will keep checking Celebrity for future cruises, but I want a fair value when compared to other similar lines.  Right now I'm not seeing it. 

Not to mention, a partial transit really raises the bar and price.  We had a Panama gulf cruise booked on Carnival a couple years ago, and when they converted it into a partial transit, the price doubled and the cruise was sold out quickly.  Some of that could be from port starved loyalists, but still...

After all the negative the back on the Edge, in mid January we cancelled our Edge 7 night January 2020 cruise and booked a 10 night Reflection for the same cost for a "real" balcony cabin. That 10 night Reflection is now $1000 pp more for the same category cabin. I'm thinking that dramatic price increase is Celebrity's attempt to make-up for the possible revenue loss for customer disappointment with the Edge's infinite veranda concept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dundeelass said:

But we can't be flexible :-(

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, keesar said:

Feb 14 was the cruise.  Now something is going on as it is no longer listed.  There were plenty of rooms about 10 days ago.  Not sure what...

Have you found out what’s going on with the February 14 cruise, sometime also with January 31 both silhouette cruises, any word on weather they are canceled or changed dates, 

1 hour ago, 3carfan said:

Have you found out what’s going on with the February 14 cruise, sometime also with January 31 both silhouette cruises, any word on weather they are canceled or changed dates, 

I have no idea what is going on.  Both have been removed from the Celebrity booking site but some big box agents have rooms available.  As I mentioned, Celebrity had plenty of rooms available a couple of weeks ago when I inquired and I received a printout.  The price on an Aqua A-2 went from $2400 to $3800  pp.  and that is why I did not book.  See what I get for waiting to get on board....

18 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

After all the negative the back on the Edge, in mid January we cancelled our Edge 7 night January 2020 cruise and booked a 10 night Reflection for the same cost for a "real" balcony cabin. That 10 night Reflection is now $1000 pp more for the same category cabin. I'm thinking that dramatic price increase is Celebrity's attempt to make-up for the possible revenue loss for customer disappointment with the Edge's infinite veranda concept.

Seeing this post made me check my own booking (10 night Reflection January 2020) and it is £1790 more expensive - or $2323 at today's exchange rate.  That's for 2 of us ....... gasp!!  I am yet one more who has absolutely NO interest in the Edge or Apex.

I keep a spreadsheet of my cruise costs and consequently have just booked a 14-night Canaries cruise with P&O) out of Southampton for next year.  Much better value, and despite X being my preferred cruise line, we did a P&O last year and were very pleasantly surprised.

14 hours ago, 3carfan said:

Silhouette is scheduled to go into drydock for her “Revolution” in January 2020.