Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
bermudafan8

Approval to leave ship early

Recommended Posts

Has anyone applied to leave a ship at a port earlier than the end of the cruise and had the request denied?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have met people who did that in Europe.  In most cases they had made the request at the time of booking,  my understanding is that all long as it’s legal based on regional/national laws then the request will be approved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know whether or not it would be permitted when boarding a ship in San Juan, sailing southern Caribbean islands and then debarking the ship in Bermuda instead of Bayonne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, that does not violate any US regulations. So that’s good. Second it would have to be approved by Bermuda authorities. And there isn’t any way of knowing if that would be approved until you askfor it.

 

It’s called a downline disembarkation. There’s usually a $65 fee for doing it. You don’t get any reduction in the price of the cruise for the missed days, so don’t expect any change in price.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see why it would be denied.   My understanding is the denial would come into effect if there is a violation of a countries regulation e.g. Jones act. 

 

I did it in India departing in Goa and Returning in Cochin in order to take a 3 day trip to see The Taj.   There is a fee of I believe $65 to process the request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have often wondered about this as we live in Victoria BC which is a port for the Alaska Cruises. Can we leave the ship as we are “home” rather than go on to Vancouver or Seattle? 

 

Cheers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HooKares said:

I have often wondered about this as we live in Victoria BC which is a port for the Alaska Cruises. Can we leave the ship as we are “home” rather than go on to Vancouver or Seattle? 

 

Cheers! 

I've only been to Victoria on Princess, but every time I've been in Victoria with disembarkation in either Vancouver or Seattle, there are lots of people disembarking.  

 

I've always assumed it was because most live in Victoria, and it's not worth getting back on the ship just to sleep one night and then have to take a ferry back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I've only been to Victoria on Princess, but every time I've been in Victoria with disembarkation in either Vancouver or Seattle, there are lots of people disembarking.  

 

I've always assumed it was because most live in Victoria, and it's not worth getting back on the ship just to sleep one night and then have to take a ferry back home.

 

Actually they may be BAck to back sailors catching the ship in Seattle and going on to Hawaii. Apparently this is not permitted under USLaw but I do know this is a regular thing at the end of the Alaska season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

 

Actually they may be BAck to back sailors catching the ship in Seattle and going on to Hawaii. Apparently this is not permitted under USLaw but I do know this is a regular thing at the end of the Alaska season.

In my case, no.  The cruises were round trip Seattle once, and and a coastal from SF to Vancouver - neither of which had been near Hawaii for months, if at all.

 

How would that work?  If the ship started in Hawaii it would have to end in Vancouver (I don't think Victoria is set up for a full embarkation and disembarkation).  

 

And it can't start in Seattle and go to Hawaii, unless it's Round Trip with a stop in Victoria, but I don't know of ships doing that.  We're doing Hawaii on X at the beginning of the season, but it goes directly to Vancouver.

 

 

Edited by abbydancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

In my case, no.  The cruises were round trip Seattle once, and and a coastal from SF to Vancouver - neither of which had been near Hawaii for months, if at all.

 

If the ship started in Seattle, and going on to Hawaii, that would be a Victoria stop, but I seriously doubt anyone would disembark there.   (one day?).  At the beginning of the season the ship would probably go to Vancouver, and then run a one off Vancouver to Seattle Alaska run.  The ship couldn't go from Hawaii directly to Seattle in any case - it would have to go to Vancouver, unless it was a RT Hawaii from Seattle.

 

I will try and find the thread, loads of people exited in Victoria and had to meet the ship in Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

 

I will try and find the thread, loads of people exited in Victoria and had to meet the ship in Seattle.

Now I see what you are saying. 

 

However, they can't get on the ship in Seattle and leave in Hawaii.  If that's the case I'd like to see the thread.  They can do it the other way, ie start in Hawaii,   leave in Victoria, and then get back on the ship in Seattle.  But that would be at the start of the Alaska season I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops. Realized that it can’t go the other way either.   A ship can’t go one way between Hawaii and Seattle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Does anyone know whether or not it would be permitted when boarding a ship in San Juan, sailing southern Caribbean islands and then debarking the ship in Bermuda instead of Bayonne.

I got permission for my daughter to do a Bermuda downline disembarkation in April.  It took 10 days for the approval.  The email for the request is:  emergencyteam@celebritycruises.com    As the other posts state, there is a $65.00 fee per booking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, kevinrm said:

I got permission for my daughter to do a Bermuda downline disembarkation in April.  It took 10 days for the approval.  The email for the request is:  emergencyteam@celebritycruises.com    As the other posts state, there is a $65.00 fee per booking.

And, since it will no longer be a closed loop cruise you MUST have your passport with you, other ID will not be accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abbydancer said:

Oops. Realized that it can’t go the other way either.   A ship can’t go one way between Hawaii and Seattle. 

Well, it can but it would have to stop somewhere like Kiribati on the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Well, it can but it would have to stop somewhere like Kiribati on the way.

Good point.  I believe somewhere I read that the nearest distant port to Hawaii is Fanning Island, adding about 3-5 days to a cruise to get there and back.  

 

Hence probably why our cruise in 2021 goes Honolulu to Vancouver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...