Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dsvd79

Does Harmony use WOW Bands?

Recommended Posts

We are sailing on Harmony in October.  We sailed on Anthem this past September and was told we could reuse them.  

Is this still the case?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes they let you reuse and they reprogram, sometimes they make you get a new one.  Not consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow up question on the Wow bands for the Harmony:

 

If you use them by the pool area to order a drink do they just scan the band or do they take the band with them?  I thought I read somewhere that they did not always have scanners out there and it would not be ideal to have to take it off every time you get a drink from your chair.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crusintime123 said:

Follow up question on the Wow bands for the Harmony:

 

If you use them by the pool area to order a drink do they just scan the band or do they take the band with them?  I thought I read somewhere that they did not always have scanners out there and it would not be ideal to have to take it off every time you get a drink from your chair.

More than likely you'll have to hand over the band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been lucky enough to encounter a waiter on the pool deck (or the theater, or studio B) that have a handheld RFID reader. This is one reason why I was one and done on the WOW band, just my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crusintime123 said:

Follow up question on the Wow bands for the Harmony:

 

If you use them by the pool area to order a drink do they just scan the band or do they take the band with them?  I thought I read somewhere that they did not always have scanners out there and it would not be ideal to have to take it off every time you get a drink from your chair.

 

 

 

25 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

More than likely you'll have to hand over the band.

 

Even in the pub most times you need to remove the band. I leave mine in the safe but DW takes hers so she doesn't have to dig out her card to open the cabin door if she has her hands full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This is one reason why I was one and done on the WOW band, just my experience. 

This is why I imagine we'll just leave them in the room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dsvd79 said:

but- does Harmony use them?

yes Harmony uses them, however I opted not to get one just because it didn't seem too convenient....u had to take it off when ordering from the bar, purchasing from the stores, etc.  It would be great if they always used scanners or made it more convenient!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bars we used on the Harmony had hand scanners at the bar so we didn’t have to take off the wow band when at the bar.

 

If ordering from the tables they needed to take the band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, later said:

The bars we used on the Harmony had hand scanners at the bar so we didn’t have to take off the wow band when at the bar.

 

If ordering from the tables they needed to take the band.

Yes, select bars....not for table service, pool-side, or pool bars.....just so scattered and limited that it made it more of a bother then a convenience!  Hope they find a better way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had the wow bands on Harmony and I wouldn't be in a rush to get them again.  My sister's didn't work from the beginning.  Another trip to GS to get a new one.

 

When we ordered dinner in the specialty restaurants we had to use our cards.  We had the UDP so the wow bands weren't in use at any of them.

 

In the casino, they worked here and there.  Sometimes when we logged into the card area on the slots, we it didn't work as it came up with the name of someone who had left the machine before us.  I didn't realize this at first, so I lost points because I was playing under someone else's name.  When I realized this, I had to keep putting my Wow band near the reader to make sure it changed to my name.

 

The last day on the ship, my sister's band wouldn't open the cabin door, which was what we thought was the best benefit.  I had to open the door and let her in, and when she left to go somewhere, she tried it again and no go.

 

I think these are cheaply made and the part of the strap that goes under the "holder" moves around all the time.  I wish they would take notes from Disney and perfect them.  These are just cheap pieces of plastic.  This is my opinion, and YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would probably get them if they were convenient to use. If I have to always take it off to get something, it is just not worth it. Plus using a lanyard is not a huge deal to me. I do not mind using them at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We got them. We used them. We felt they were very convenient for us and would use them again. No more trouble to take off than to take a card out of my pocket.. my experience..

Edited by dwayneb236

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on Harmony this week and they gladly reprogrammed my WOW bands from Quantum of the seas debut in NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

We got them. We used them. We felt they were very convenient for us and would use them again. No more trouble to take off than to take a card out of my pocket.. my experience..

 

 

Good to know.  We are considering them for our Harmony cruise next year, especially for the kids.  How does the color system work with them?  I’m under the impression that you don’t get a choice in the color, but may have something to do with your assigned muster station, or am I incorrect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colors and muster stations seem random to me. We didnt have a choice really. Black was all that they had at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

Colors and muster stations seem random to me. We didnt have a choice really. Black was all that they had at the time.

Oh ok.  I’m confused as to whether you purchase them at Guest Services, or at Bolero’s, or both.  Have heard 3 different answers so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got ours at a booth they had set up in the middle of the promenade. Not sure where the official place is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 1:46 PM, Big_G said:

 

 

Even in the pub most times you need to remove the band. I leave mine in the safe but DW takes hers so she doesn't have to dig out her card to open the cabin door if she has her hands full.

 

The best feature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Oh ok.  I’m confused as to whether you purchase them at Guest Services, or at Bolero’s, or both.  Have heard 3 different answers so far.

On Symphony last month it was a booth in Boleros

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

Colors and muster stations seem random to me. We didnt have a choice really. Black was all that they had at the time.

On previous cruises we didn’t have a color choice, and our muster station was on them.  On our most recent cruise last month, we had a choice of 3 or 4 colors, and no muster station was printed on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

On previous cruises we didn’t have a color choice, and our muster station was on them.  On our most recent cruise last month, we had a choice of 3 or 4 colors, and no muster station was printed on them.

 

 

Good to know.  Guess I’ll find out when we go.  Thanks for the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...