Cruise Critic Community
cruisestitch

Eclipse questions? Ask here

Boarded yesterday in Buenos Aires.  From here it’s Around the Horn, then on to San Diego.  

Any questions? Ask here.

I would like to know how rough the water is when you sail around the horn.  Have a wonderful trip!

Posted (edited)

This will be my fifth time around the horn.  Missed Ushuaia once due to high winds in the harbor (although the seas were not rough, so it was a matter of being windward or leeward).  Once the Straits of Magellan were calm but as we turned into the Pacific going north we hit very high winds for about three hours bit itherwise the rest of the trip was calm.  It’s highly variable but we are hoping for a smooth voyage.........

Edited by cruisestitch

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Boarded yesterday in Buenos Aires.  From here it’s Around the Horn, then on to San Diego.  

Any questions? Ask here.

Are you staying on to Vancouver?

Surprised to hear you are on the 3/24 sailing.  I don’t recall all seeing  you on the Roll Call.  Hope to meet you at Sail Away or tge Connections meeting.

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Any questions? Ask here.

How was the embarkation process?  Are you bused to the pier or can you take a taxi/Uber?  We're doing a similar cruise on Silhouette where you embark then overnight.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

No, just to San Diego.

So sorry to miss you!

Dang, dang dang......   we are boarding in SD and shall miss you by one sailing, Cruisestitch. 

I have always enjoyed your posts here on CC. 

Bon Voyage, and have a fun sailing on the Eclipse! 

Posted (edited)

Because embarkation in Buenos Aires has been such a mess, and because there were three ships in port, Celebrity arranged for an alternate check in location. They hired a space in one of the convention centers and all check in took place there.  Until 6 o’clock when the other ships left and check in  moved to the terminal. The convention center was an excellent choice. There was plenty of seating, the bathrooms were clean, they had many check-in stations, everything was good except that the taxi and Uber drivers didn’t know exactly where to let people off.  As soon as I saw some people with suitcases I pointed and the taxi driver took me to the right place but there was a moment of confusion first. However I commend Celebrity for finding a solution to the Buenos Aires check in process. From there we were shuttled to the ship.

The hardest thing about embarking and Buenos Aires is that the ramp from shore to the entrance to the ship is very very steep. There is talk of building a new embarkation structure but nothing yet. 

I was told that in Buenos Aires they do not allow cell disembarkation because moving big suitcases down that steep ramp would be hazardous. Of course we embarked not disembarked but even getting our carry-on up that ramp was a difficulty

Edited by cruisestitch

For the regular check-in location check this thread: 

Probably Celebrity will go back to that pier?!

It's been a number of years since we've been on a Celebrity ship, but will be on the Eclipse next month, back to back to Hawaii. One of the problems for us was the loud canned music in every public venue. You couldn't get away from it. Is this still the case? Thanks in advance Jeff

I am happy to report that the music level has been delightful. So far there has been no problem on this cruise, unlike Edge where the volume was unbearable

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Any questions? Ask here.

Cruisetitch, we are doing Santiago to Buenos Aires next January on Eclipse.  It will be interesting to hear about your impressions of the ship as it is pre-Revolution and not scheduled until after our cruise.  Is it in good shape?  Service? What type of cabin are you in?

We were on the Eclipse last month in  Sunset Veranda and thought the ship was in excellent condition and  service was uniformally good. We had great weather around the Horn and the in the Antarctic portion as well. Other than the buffet area at lunch and the MickeyLive talks in the showroom it never felt crowded.

Thanks for doing this Cruisestitch.  We will be on her doing the same cruise you are this time next year.  We know several who are on with you.  Looking forward to your next posts.

Who are the staff, eg, captain, cruise director etc. and will they all be on for the next half.  

Thanks and see you there.

Melissa is Captain’s Club Host.  John is Michael’s Club Concierge.  I don’t know about any upcoming changes.

365D891F-4E7E-420E-B7A2-EBFCCBAB0BC2.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Do not take the Taxi right at the Exit of disembarkation.

Those drivers are contracted by an agent and will charge a lot more than regular fares.

Walk away from the entrance and catch a taxi that come by.That will save you a lot.

Edited by verizon

Hi Cruisestitch:

Can you ask Giuseppe if he will be on the Hawaii runs in April?

Thanks in advance.

Wishing you smooth seas!!!!

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I will be disembarking in San Diego.  To which port are you referring?

Buenos Aires.