Cruise Critic Community
Vineyard View

Manhattan cruise terminal sail out past Statue of Liberty?

We will be sailing out of the Manhattan cruise terminal. Google is not helping me so I am hoping someone might here. I would like to know if the sail away will likely take us past the Statue of Liberty?  I am trying to determine if we will need to plan that during a short time in NYC prior to sailing?  Thank you

11 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We will be sailing out of the Manhattan cruise terminal. Google is not helping me so I am hoping someone might here. I would like to know if the sail away will likely take us past the Statue of Liberty?  I am trying to determine if we will need to plan that during a short time in NYC prior to sailing?  Thank you

Yes, you'll sail right by the Statue of Liberty. It will be on the starboard side , but don't limit yourself to that side of the ship because there are great views of Manhattan on the port side. Probably the best place to be, weather permitting, is on a high open deck so you can easily see both the port and starboard sides and move from one side to the other as needed.

Should have a good view , love leaving from nyc and seeing skyline, Statue of Liberty and new World Trade Center 

Taken from the NCL Gem on the way out.  Don't forget there is also a sail in.  Many sleep through it but NYC at sunrise was awesome.   300 pictures in each direction.  Here is a sample.

Kaufman SI Ferry.jpg

Thank you all!  We board in NYC and have an overnight before leaving the next evening. This is great information and the picture really helps as well. It sounds like skipping the balcony and taking a libation up top is the place to be! 

It also appears that taking the time for a separate trip to the Statue will not be necessary and we can use our limited time in NYC to explore other areas. I look forward to this sail away!

You do want to be on deck as there are things to see on both sides of the ship.

And don’t go back in until you pass under the Varrazano Bridge. It’s a must. 

Thank you all again. I am not familiar with that bridge so good to know! Sounds like a beautiful experience and I am now looking even more forward to it!

18 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

And don’t go back in until you pass under the Varrazano Bridge. It’s a must. 

And right past the bridge will be Coney Island on the Brooklyn side of the ship

And the Verrazzano Bridge:

(My first time posting pictures. I hope they're sized correctly!)

IMG_0501.thumb.jpg.1a803a694edf445d3779f57f83dc25c6.jpg

IMG_0502.thumb.jpg.d0b9b1205cf5e951b2388356ee7461a5.jpg

Remember 40 years ago when we stayed up all night and saw Statue of Liberty lite up entering nyc. Still love leaving from nyc. 

20 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you all again. I am not familiar with that bridge so good to know! Sounds like a beautiful experience and I am now looking even more forward to it!

It’s the bridge that connects Staten Island to Brooklyn (Long Island). 

I tried to include this with my previous post. It was the longest suspension bridge in the world for many years:

IMG_0495.thumb.jpg.cc01308cbf2d50238cea6f2ce70bac30.jpg

22 hours ago, George C said:

Remember 40 years ago when we stayed up all night and saw Statue of Liberty lite up entering nyc. Still love leaving from nyc. 

Love this 

To all of you, thanks again. It looks to be a beautiful sail away. Top deck, drink in hand (possibly bubbles), Camera at hand, bing with DH on vacation - all adds up to perfect! 

When is your cruise? Not specifically,  just what month or time of year? The lighting can be dramatically different depending on the sunset times. It's all good!

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

We are sailing in October. Ship sails at 6:00 and sunset is a little past 7:00. 

Sunset in NY City isn't that late in October. According to this source https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york?month=10 sunset in NY City in October 2019 ranges from 6:38 on October 1 and gets earlier every day thereafter, coming at  5:53 on October 31 .

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Sunset in NY City isn't that late in October. According to this source https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/new-york?month=10 sunset in NY City in October 2019 ranges from 6:38 on October 1 and gets earlier every day thereafter, coming at  5:53 on October 31 .

Thank you for clarifying. When I googled sunset times for NYC October 2019 the site I clicked onto showed the 7:00 timeframe.

So we will be sailing out at sunset and that I would think, should be nice?

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

Thank you for clarifying. When I googled sunset times for NYC October 2019 the site I clicked onto showed the 7:00 timeframe.

So we will be sailing out at sunset and that I would think, should be nice?

7:00 is what it is right now.  It will get later, hitting about 8:30 in late June and continuing at about that time until early July when it will start getting earlier.

The view of the Statue of Liberty can be quite spectacular around sunset as you'll be looking west from the ship and the sun will be setting behind the SOL.

4 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

There are also gorgeous shots of the NYC skyline also. 

IMG_0095a.jpg

IMG_0107a.jpg