Insurance

philliesgirl48

1 hour ago, dogo88 said:

HAL insurance is extremely low coverage for any medical issue. You can get better coverage at a lower price from other sites mentioned. 

Yes, the HAL plans are more trip cancellation plans for any reason  than medical. If you wish to cover medical issues, I would go other than HAL.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Yes, the HAL plans are more trip cancellation plans for any reason  than medical. If you wish to cover medical issues, I would go other than HAL.

Yes, and the policy makes it clear that it is not an insurance policy.  We buy it strictly for cancel-for-any reason.  For that purpose I have not found any insurance policy that can match the price; and, unlike most insurance policies, you can wait until final payment to pay it.  So . . . it has its specific purpose for  circumstances when you are not sure you will be able to make the cruise and you don't want to throw away the money when you initially book and then have to cancel.

8 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Yes, and the policy makes it clear that it is not an insurance policy.  We buy it strictly for cancel-for-any reason.  For that purpose I have not found any insurance policy that can match the price; and, unlike most insurance policies, you can wait until final payment to pay it.  So . . . it has its specific purpose for  circumstances when you are not sure you will be able to make the cruise and you don't want to throw away the money when you initially book and then have to cancel.

Thanks for clarifying the HAL cancellation plans better than I did. I have found other plans that include cancellation, use the term "for covered reasons" whereas with HAL it can be anything. Plus if you cancel, you do not have to fill out reams of paperwork to get your refund; in my experience, I have called HAL and received the refund within a week's time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

We almost never buy HALs insurance. Not worth is for coverage vs cost. We get comprehensive coverage that does medical, evacuation, and cancellation ins for covered reasons. Many offer the ability to get the insurance before final payment to get the pre existing medical waiver. Always way cheaper than HALs. Cancel for any reason can get a bit costly. All offer it. On our current cruise coming up in two weeks for a 13 day cruise in the Caribbean we're paying a bit more than $600 for both of us with trip cancellation, trip delay, baggage, $150k medical and $1 million evacuation. Bought it at just before final payment. 

HALs plus is all it takes is a phone call.

We have had to use the insurance for last years cruise due to a medical emergency. Other than some paperwork, it wasn't bad at all. But the biggest issue, especially if you are older, is medical coverage and evacuation. You just can't enough coverage but you can have too little.

Many cruiser don't realize that if you come back from a tour hurt, limping, arm in sling, etc, you most likely will not be allowed to board. So not getting insurance is crazy talk. The internet is full of stories where insurance was not purchased or inadequate.  

4 hours ago, dogo88 said:

We almost never buy HALs insurance. Not worth is for coverage vs cost. We get comprehensive coverage that does medical, evacuation, and cancellation ins for covered reasons. Many offer the ability to get the insurance before final payment to get the pre existing medical waiver. Always way cheaper than HALs. Cancel for any reason can get a bit costly. All offer it. On our current cruise coming up in two weeks for a 13 day cruise in the Caribbean we're paying a bit more than $600 for both of us with trip cancellation, trip delay, baggage, $150k medical and $1 million evacuation. Bought it at just before final payment. 

HALs plus is all it takes is a phone call.

We have had to use the insurance for last years cruise due to a medical emergency. Other than some paperwork, it wasn't bad at all. But the biggest issue, especially if you are older, is medical coverage and evacuation. You just can't enough coverage but you can have too little.

Many cruiser don't realize that if you come back from a tour hurt, limping, arm in sling, etc, you most likely will not be allowed to board. So not getting insurance is crazy talk. The internet is full of stories where insurance was not purchased or inadequate.  

I really don't understand why people still keep insisting that HAL's cancellation policy is insurance.  Or that it does not replace good medical or medical evacuation coverage.  But it is good for people who  do not want to pay for trip  cancellation, non-refundable, from shortly after booking, only to find by the time of final payment that cancellation was not necessary.  And was your trip cancellation insurance good for any reason or just for stated conditions?  As you pointed out, cancel for any reason is costly, but sometimes the reasons don't fit into the stated cancellation provisions of non-HAL travel insurance.

BTW, where did you find that people were denied re-boarding if they arrived back to the ship with obvious injuries?  It is my understanding that HAL will not force you to disembark until they have checked out the injury or illness and have decided that adequate medical care cannot be provided aboard ship. 

My three pronged approach:

Cancellation & interruption: via credit card. Costco's Visa card covers $3000 per passenger up to the amount charged on the card; the Citi Double Cash Card covers up to $1500 per trip up to the amount charged.

Medical: many health insurance covers emergency care outside of the US at 80% or better (Medicare doesn't, but certain classes of Medigap policies do). Most travel insurance covers on a reimbursement basis and on a secondary basis to other insurance so you'll need room on a credit card to be seen anyway. Travel Medicare insurance may not be a good value depending on your other coverage.

Evacuation: An annual evacuation policy for us will cost about the same as comprehensive insurance for one trip.

16 hours ago, philliesgirl48 said:

The insurance through Holland America seems expensive. Has anyone bought trip insurance from someone other than a Holland America?  If so who? Thanks. Too old to go without but retired & watching my money. 

If you get the Chase Sapphire preferred Credit card  you can get up to $10000  per person  coverage free, for both trip cancellation & trip interruption & it also covers baggage  . There is a cash rebate & much more about this credit card that is all good . Once you use the credit card to book you are covered .Then all you do is to call the people on induremytrip.com   .Yes phone them from the phone number found at their web site & buy only  medical & medical evacuation  ;but ,make sure that the insurer is first  not 2nd position  .you will savea ton of money   on travel insurance :classic_biggrin:

Cliff

Edited by mcrcruiser

13 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

BTW, where did you find that people were denied re-boarding if they arrived back to the ship with obvious injuries?  It is my understanding that HAL will not force you to disembark until they have checked out the injury or illness and have decided that adequate medical care cannot be provided aboard ship. 

I come across these stories from time to time. You may be correct in that HAL will evaluate you prior to forcing you to disembark because they may feel their care would be inadequate. But's it's a decision that HAL makes not you. My point was that many younger folks may not realize an injury on a tour could prevent them from continuing their cruise and having adequate insurance is just a smart thing to have.  

1 hour ago, dogo88 said:

I come across these stories from time to time. You may be correct in that HAL will evaluate you prior to forcing you to disembark because they may feel their care would be inadequate. But's it's a decision that HAL makes not you. My point was that many younger folks may not realize an injury on a tour could prevent them from continuing their cruise and having adequate insurance is just a smart thing to have.  

I completely agree with you that both adequate medical insurance and medical evac is important.  We are fortunate in that DH is a retired Federal worker and BCBS follows us around the world.  And if we are a continent away from the U.S. Med-Jet accompanies us.

3 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

I completely agree with you that both adequate medical insurance and medical evac is important.  We are fortunate in that DH is a retired Federal worker and BCBS follows us around the world.  And if we are a continent away from the U.S. Med-Jet accompanies us.

Is med-jet a separate policy; or is it covered by BCBS?

13 hours ago, kwbtraveler said:

Is med-jet a separate policy; or is it covered by BCBS?

Yes, it is a separate policy and the rates are quite reasonable.  Our rate (one of us is over 75) for an 89-day cruise was $625, with a USAA or AAA discount.  This policy may not be necessary if one takes out a travel insurance policy.  Since we did not need additional medical insurance, we just took out HAL's cancellation policy and the Med-Jet policy. 

BTW, our TA looked at an Allianz travel insurance policy right after we booked, and concluded that it was more expensive (for us, at least), than the HAL policy.   Our concern at that time was the health of our pet, and no insurance policy then would cover that as a reason for cancellation.  Since then one of our credit cards does cover a pet's illness as a basis for refund.  This might be of interest to others who have the same problem.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

We do buy HAL's insurance just for the "cancel for any reason" idea.  And had to use it twice.  Better to get 90% back then lose everything.

We do buy other health insurance.

Is the 90% you received based on the overall cost of the cruise or the amount eligible for the cancellation?   I think that is unclear in their statement.

Edited by boards

56 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

BTW, our TA looked at an Allianz travel insurance policy right after we booked, and concluded that it was more expensive (for us, at least), than the HAL policy.

I think this is at least partly because open market policies  price based on the age of the traveler but cruise line policies don't seem to.

23 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I think this is at least partly because open market policies  price based on the age of the traveler but cruise line policies don't seem to.

Most likely.  But, also, the Allianz policy was a full travel insurance policy, so it would cost more than just a cancellation policy.

We buy HAL’s Platinum for the Cancel for any reason (had family issues once that would not have been covered) and also, their insurance is not age-dependent. We also get supplemental health insurance if out of USA, and always have Medjet for evacuation beyond 150 miles from home...

4 minutes ago, janmcn said:

We buy HAL’s Platinum for the Cancel for any reason (had family issues once that would not have been covered) and also, their insurance is not age-dependent. We also get supplemental health insurance if out of USA, and always have Medjet for evacuation beyond 150 miles from home...

Can you tell me what the 90% covered?   The original cost of the cruise or the reduced amount after the final payment plan?

From HAL's site. "

CPP Platinum enables you to cancel for any reason, at any time up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line, and receive a refund equal to 90% of the prepaid, non-refundable portion of your cruise vacation. 

46 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Most likely.  But, also, the Allianz policy was a full travel insurance policy, so it would cost more than just a cancellation policy.

I'm not aware of the details of HAL's policy -- isn't it a (somewhat) comprehensive policy like other lines'?

On 3/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, dogo88 said:

What provision in the contract allows them to deny you re-boarding? I've seen multiple people over the years both leave and board the ship in various straits of distress. In fact, once one of our table mates showed up for dinner one night with her arm in a sling. She had a fall in town that day and went to the local ER and got fixed up. One time in St. Petersburg, my back spasmed while waiting to clear immigration on the first day, I could barely walk up the gangway upon return and was in obvious distress, but nothing was said. 

I'm sure I always buy more insurance than I need, but better to have insurance and never need it, than to need it and not have enough. Its just another budget expense, like shorex's that get added into the cost.