Cruise Critic Community
pehlibaar

taking beach toys

We will be sailing Epic in a couple of weeks and our stops are GSC, Tortola, and St. Thomas. We will probably be spending a lot of time on the beaches and I was wanting to take some beach toys for the kids. DH is not too keen on having more stuff to carry onboard with us, which I agree to an extent, but it would be nice for the kids to have some beach toys to play with. Can anyone recommend a bag or something to easily carry these around without carrying all the sand along with them? Also, are floats available at GSC? How much are they to rent? If we bring our own, is there a pump or anything available to inflate them? Thanks!

Beach toys take up practically no space in luggage. Pack socks and underwear inside a sand bucket, and then it takes up nearly the same space as those items do alone. Small shovels and molds and things can be jammed into corners of the suitcase after it's packed. Use a small garbage bag for carrying everything back on the ship when it's sandy. Throw it all away at the last port.

Find a nice mesh tote bag, that will keep the sand (well most of it) at the beach.

Posted (edited)

Don't take anything that needs to be inflated that you are not willing to blow up yourself!  :classic_wink:

Edited by OCruisers

We bring a silicone collapsible bucket, a silicone collapsible cup (got both on Amazon) and a few plastic shovels. Takes up no space at all! Enjoy your beach time!

You can always buy this sort of thing for kids in the gift shop on the ship.

Another option, easy and a money & mess saver, is to take a couple of plastic shovels from home and plastic cups from the ship. Then thown away the sandy plastic cups in a trash can when leaving a beach and take new ones for each beach trip.  :classic_wink:

I would suggest rather than toss them at the final port gift them to someone on the beach. Perhaps even have your kids do the giving.

Cane Garden Bay was an awesome beach in Tortola and Coki Beach in St. Thomas were wonderful places for us.

I have a grown up beach toy: $25 snorkel set from Amazon, used it at each beach stop, Coki has amazingly colorful fish to see. The set comes in its own pouch and easily fits in my backpack. In fact I carried two in my carry on backpack as I bought one for my nephew to use.

DH and I take inflatable noodles on all cruises (makes snorkeling so much easier).  A small air pump can be found on amazon.  We place it in our checked luggage and there has been no issues thus far.    

A few plastic or styrofoam cups make great sand castles!  A plastic spoon, or even a stick can be used to dig with...even HANDS!  

We spent our entire childhood at beaches...and aside from a styrofoam float with netting in the bottom, I don't recall ever having "toys"...we used our imagination....we dug with our hands or a shell or a stick we found....we made moats and castles, we fought pirates, we pretended to "catch the big one".....imagination is the best toy!

Be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen for the kiddos!

I drank Pina coladas until my kid had enough cups to scoop sand with. 

That was the bulk of my plan but then some very kind family was leaving the beach and gave us their giant blow up tube float and my kids adored it for hours. I would absolutely bring one next time. Takes a bit to blow up by mouth, but very portable. It fits in the outer pocket of my suitcase, so I don't lose space.

Oh and if you bring an inflatable, rinse it before bringing it back into your cabin - we put it out to dry on the balcony without thinking and then the balcony was covered with sand for the rest of the week. Ick.

I always left  the toys at home with the little ones when the Bride and I cruised. 

Don't use one of those mesh bags unless you want sand everywhere in your cabin. I'm dead serious when I say to use a garbage bag. You want to keep the sand in (so it's not in your cabin), not let it out.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:08 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I always left  the toys at home with the little ones when the Bride and I cruised. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!  This made me chuckle!!!!