Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
DisnyMik

Keto Coffee and Heavy Whipping Cream

Recommended Posts

I thought I posted this already but it’s not showing up? Oh well. 

 

Has anyone doing keto and that drinks coffee figured out this out?  Will I be able to request HWC and SF syrup from the baristas (not Starbucks) on the Indy?  Not sure if that’s an option or not?  I can’t do creamer like I used to do and bringing my own HWC is not an option.  We are getting the Refreshment package. 

Thanks so much! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We actually do bring HWC on board.  Works better when we have a cabin that has a real refrigerator, but we still survive.

 

You can request heavy cream, but it's really hard to find on board.  Perhaps if you asked at wherever you end up getting the most coffee when you board- that would solve the problem.  Half&half is all over the place.  

 

Other than yellow, blue, and pink sugar, I don't think you will find anything else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Starbucks may have sugar free vanilla, but that's not included on the refreshment package.  Not sure about other locations.

 

Other than the bottled water option, I'm not sure you'll realize much benefit from the refreshment package, being on keto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Perhaps ask this question on the Low Carb cruising thread in the Lose Before You Cruise forum.

 

I drink my coffee black so don't have that issue and I kinda agree with the statement that the beverage package isn't really for someone on keto. It's mostly sweet drinks which you've presumably sworn off on keto.  You can get coffee/ice tea and water for free on the ship

 

 

 

Edited by mac66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bring truvia packets with me for the hubs.  I drink black coffee on board.  Sometimes I get packets of MCT powder ( Perfect keto sells one) to mix with coffee in my own travel mug and I bring a milk frother with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had coffee with half & half, no whipping cream available. The coolers in the cabins are not going to keep cream good for days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why isn't bringing HWC onboard an option for you?  (I don't mean that in a snarky tone)

 

If you can find a place to stop on your way to the ship, pick some up and put it in your room's mini fridge.  I've done the same for lime and lemon juice.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite the same, but we are Keto and plan on bringing some Premier Protein shakes to use for our coffee. My husband will be sad without his HWC, but he'll live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You realize that there are only 0.2 grams separating whipping cream from half n half?  1 Tbs of cream= 0.4 grams carbs, 1 Tbs half n half=0.6 grams.  anything under 1 gram on Keto is considered a trace and most Keto dieters don't even count it.  I wouldn't sweat it at all.  I do use cream in my coffee and for baking keto dishes just to enhance the fat I consume.  But one week of minute bits of carb will not add up enough to throw you out of ketosis. Oh BTW neither of these have any grams of sugar.

 

As for sweetener, I take a bag full of Erythritol.

Edited by BecciBoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Refrigeration.

 

Those cooler units in the cabins won’t keep dairy fresh for very long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't drink coffee, and I don't do keto, but Trader Joe's sells shelf stable heavy whipping cream in 8oz cartons, if you have one around, that might be an option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woodmnky said:

Not quite the same, but we are Keto and plan on bringing some Premier Protein shakes to use for our coffee. My husband will be sad without his HWC, but he'll live.

That is a great idea. I do that at home, thought I do mix it with HWC. And I think they just brought make Caramel. Yum  Last year when I had just started Keto, I brought my own sweetener and just used half and half. Now, getting almond milk in the windjammer was a real trip. One time I was finished with my breakfast and had to wait 10 min for the guy to bring it to me.. lol.. I think he got lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ashleyhaugh said:

I don't drink coffee, and I don't do keto, but Trader Joe's sells shelf stable heavy whipping cream in 8oz cartons, if you have one around, that might be an option

Another great idea.. TU, though not the OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!

 

I tried the Protein shake in my coffee and I found it to be terrible!  And to me, there is a difference between HWC and half n half. It’s not the carb content in HWC vs HnH. That doesn’t concern me. I like the taste and creaminess of HWC.  I could use sweetener packets but I don’t use them in my coffee b/c I want the flavor (like vanilla).  

I also don’t want to carry refrigerated items around with me to get coffee.  I was hoping there was a yummy powder alternative that someone knew about. I’ve been searching but so far nothing. At least nothing that tastes good to me anyway. 

So, it looks like I’ll be trying HnH with sweetener to get used to it before we go. 

And, I won’t be doing full keto on the cruise. I just want to make choices of where I’m going to eat keto and not.  I hope that makes sense. 

 

Thanks for all all the input! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with BecciBoo. I've done keto on and off for years and alway have half and half in my coffee.  No problems and it tastes great. I also order Sweetdrops (flavored stevia) from amazon to travel with. It comes in little travel size containers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as sweeteners go, you can bring some splenda zero with you. They have 3 types, regular, stevia and vanilla. I just use the regular. These are OK for keto because they use sucralose instead of maltodextrin. The granular form of splenda is not keto because of the maltodextrin. You can buy any of them from Walmart. I like them because it is easy to keep the squeeze bottle in my pocket so I usually will always have some with me. 

 

 

 

 

 coupon_image.jpg?itok=04WNzTGi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't do Keto, but like my coffee the way I like it....with Trader Joe's raw stevia extract, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon.  So, I travel with a small ziploc size bag that has all three.  The stevia extract comes in a powder form in a spice sized bottle, I pour vanilla extract into a small squeeze bottle, and get the half size shaker bottle of cinnamon from my grocery store.  Onboard we either have coffee from room service, or if we go to a dining venue, I add these three to my Yeti w/ lid before I leave the room, then add the coffee when we get to wherever we're having breakfast.   Some may laugh and see it as "high maintenance" but my coffee bag takes no room to pack and is an easy way to get my coffee onboard (or anywhere I travel) the same as I make it at home.  At least one friend has started doing likewise with vanilla and cinnamon.  🙂

Just sharing as an idea for anyone who may have similar preferences for a certain coffee sweetener or other additive not found onboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey bug:  you might try real cinnamon sticks broken up into smaller pieces to float in your cup.

 

Has anybody tried Monk Fruit sweetner, also no effect on blood sugar and much better taste than Stevia, and it comes in a little squeezy white bottle on Amazon.  I use all 3 sweeteners interchangeably, baking you need Erytritol or Swerve(same thing), drinks Stevia or Monk Fruit drops.  I use the Swerve and Monk for my coffee.  But gee, I sure miss the nasty white stuff.

 

Actually I don't think it's even difficult doing Keto on board.  I always go to Caesar Salad because I love it and then meat is a snap, I tell the waiters I'm diabetic and they bring the special menu.  Then I tell them don't bother bringing any bread or desserts at all.  If the menu happens to have an egg custard or Brulee that's sugar free, I have it.  I think one could follow without cheating with no problem.  Even drinking, we order a regular martini straight up, no olives, then on Amazon, we found  a product that is an Electrolyte supplement, called Ultima Replenish that is lemon flavored, no sugars or carbs,  that we add to the glass and voila, a Keto Lemon Peel! I just carry around a baggie of the stuff in my bag.  At home we even rim our martini glasses with it.

 

We will be on Vision in less than a month and it will be our first Keto Cruise!  Can't wait to get home and find we have lost weight!

Edited by BecciBoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im on the keto diet right now. still trying to get use to black coffee without sweeteners in it. still a little rough. i do use monk fruit in a lot of stuff. also use swerve as well.

 

I will be loosening the diet a little on board..... breakfast will be easy for the diet ( eggs, bacon, ham, avocado ) , lunch as well with salads ( with chicken, steak or shrimp ) ......  dinner i will splurge a little but should be pretty easy to do keto with the mdr serving steak, fish chicken with some green veggies like brocolli or string beans ) . desserts will be the tough part all though their sugar free dessert section was pretty big..... just need to watch for the carb parts

 

We still bought the bev package, mostly i drink rum or tequila on the rocks which is keto friendly. i also drink mules but doubt the adventure of the seas will have the sugar free ginger beer.......  and will probably have some drinks of the day as well. I will just have to go back fully on it after the cruise........  which is okay as long i still drop a few before may....

 

also will be bringing the crystal light on the go packs as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steevo L said:

im on the keto diet right now. still trying to get use to black coffee without sweeteners in it. still a little rough. i do use monk fruit in a lot of stuff. also use swerve as well.

 

I will be loosening the diet a little on board..... breakfast will be easy for the diet ( eggs, bacon, ham, avocado ) , lunch as well with salads ( with chicken, steak or shrimp ) ......  dinner i will splurge a little but should be pretty easy to do keto with the mdr serving steak, fish chicken with some green veggies like brocolli or string beans ) . desserts will be the tough part all though their sugar free dessert section was pretty big..... just need to watch for the carb parts

 

We still bought the bev package, mostly i drink rum or tequila on the rocks which is keto friendly. i also drink mules but doubt the adventure of the seas will have the sugar free ginger beer.......  and will probably have some drinks of the day as well. I will just have to go back fully on it after the cruise........  which is okay as long i still drop a few before may....

 

also will be bringing the crystal light on the go packs as well

 

Yes, we are going to do the same.  Breakfast and lunch should be easy to stay away from carbs.  We probably won’t lose any weight, we’re just hoping we don’t gain a lot!  We went off for a few days awhile back and we lived through it!  

Back on it after the cruise! 

I’m going to check into the vanilla Splenda Zero and experiment with some of the suggestions!

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We enjoyed vodka, club soda, and lime or rum and Coke Zero several times. 

 

I eat fish for dinner most nights on a cruise, unless the item offered is duck, and ask for just the broccoli and asparagus for the side, no carrots. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Hey bug:  you might try real cinnamon sticks broken up into smaller pieces to float in your cup.

 

 

 

Interesting suggestion, thanks, but I'll probably stick to ground cinnamon in a shaker container.  It's easy and it's what I'm used to.  For someone who doesn't want the stronger cinnamon flavor it gives, your idea might be ideal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2019 at 8:05 PM, BecciBoo said:

You realize that there are only 0.2 grams separating whipping cream from half n half?  1 Tbs of cream= 0.4 grams carbs, 1 Tbs half n half=0.6 grams.  anything under 1 gram on Keto is considered a trace and most Keto dieters don't even count it.  I wouldn't sweat it at all.  I do use cream in my coffee and for baking keto dishes just to enhance the fat I consume.  But one week of minute bits of carb will not add up enough to throw you out of ketosis. Oh BTW neither of these have any grams of sugar.

 

As for sweetener, I take a bag full of Erythritol.

I have to agree here.   Im in ketosis and have been for over a month.   I use regular half and half in my coffee.   It hasnt effected anything in the least.    As far as sweetener goes I have just gotten use to cream only now.   

Edited by ryano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

 

Interesting suggestion, thanks, but I'll probably stick to ground cinnamon in a shaker container.  It's easy and it's what I'm used to.  For someone who doesn't want the stronger cinnamon flavor it gives, your idea might be ideal!

I love the stronger flavor in my coffee and find the powder is hard to mix in, I do use a frother sometimes but love the sticks since I started using them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...