Cruise Critic Community
m8zenblue

Antigua Port Canceled On Future Carnival Cruise Lines

I just read an article on Google News tat Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled ports of call to Antigua.

The article stated that it was because of crime, but the Antigua/Barbuda government stated it was because of an upgrade of the port.

We are on A Southern cruise with Celebrity later this year with a port of call to Antigua.

I am curious if Celebrity and other cruise lines will follow suit ?

We stopped in Antigua last time we cruised on Celebrity. We just walked around in port for a bit, it was dirty, crowded and the vendors and would-be tour guides were aggressive and didn't want to take 'no' for an answer. When we returned to the ship, we met some passengers who had their pockets picked. It could happen anywhere, but I wasn't impressed with Antigua. If we ever stop there again, I'll book excursions. I've hear that the beaches on Antigua are gorgeous.

Sad...but you have to consider safety ..sorry to hear conditions may have changed.

Antigua does have great beaches and there were some nice stores and craft kiosks near the pier.....have enjoyed this port in the past but would follow guidelines,

I like Antigua/ Took the local bus to Nelsons. Feel more at risk in Miami

I'm also a fan of Antigua. I read on another thread on this topic that it had to do with increased port fees, perhaps due to the port upgrade you mentioned. I believe it only pertains to Carnival ships. There are a few ports of call in the Caribbean where I know I need to be particularly vigilant about safety, but I never considered Antigua to be among those. Never had any fear or issues on that island.

There's at least one  other thread...same issue hope they can be merged...

There is another thread on this same topic. One poster quoted the US state department that has no travel warnings for Antigua.

Not sure why the safety issue was raised on the other postings.

48 minutes ago, Loucat said:

There is another thread on this same topic. One poster quoted the US state department that has no travel warnings for Antigua.

Not sure why the safety issue was raised on the other postings.

I think I raised it inadvertently on the other thread citing the frequent list from Cruise Critic of most dangerous ports. I didn't say that we felt unsafe, but did say that DH and I don't care for the aggressive tour operators/taxi drivers there. Of course everyone who travels (or lives everyday life for that matter) needs to be vigilant and careful of their surroundings.

It just seems odd or maybe we were just lucky but we felt safe in Antigua.

We went to a beach and walked around the port area with no problems, besides the usual hawkers.

I just read another article that stated that the government in Antigua has made no effort to rectify the situation and they did not care if they care if they received visitors even though it will hurt the businesses that cater to cruise ships.

In the same article there was a reference that other cruise lines may follow suit.

I will be watching this situation closely because we are scheduled to visit Antigua later this year with Celebrity.

From cruisefever.net comes this partial quote: " Antigua News said that the reason for the cancellations by Carnival Cruise Line was due to a statement from Prime Minister Gaston Browne accusing the Florida-Caribbean Cruise Association of “exploiting the region”.

Based on this it seems that other cruise lines likely will follow unless the PM pulls his head out and issues an apology to cruise lines for going to Antigua.