Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MDTrip

They are REALLY pushing Kids Sail Free. Too Bad.

Recommended Posts

I find it interesting that all those who love kids tend to say, I remember last year on the Summit or on our past cruise there were only a few kids and they were well behaved. Did it ever occur to you that the parents paid big bucks to include their children, which could have a bearing on their behavior? Some would argue otherwise, but that's my opinion. And Celebrity wasn't pushing a kids sail free campaign. If they pay nothing to include their children, and the ship is not designed for kids, like NCL or Carnival, is the kid's club gearing up to handle a big influx? Think about it - no added income, no added staff. Sounds like a disaster in the making. We don't want to vacation in a sea of kids, that's why we choose Celebrity or Holland over the other major lines. Very disappointed in Celebrity's current marketing. And before you say it, yes we have now booked on Viking and Virgin which looks like our future cruise pattern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I find it interesting that all those who love kids tend to say, I remember last year on the Summit or on our past cruise there were only a few kids and they were well behaved. Did it ever occur to you that the parents paid big bucks to include their children, which could have a bearing on their behavior? Some would argue otherwise, but that's my opinion. And Celebrity wasn't pushing a kids sail free campaign. If they pay nothing to include their children, and the ship is not designed for kids, like NCL or Carnival, is the kid's club gearing up to handle a big influx? Think about it - no added income, no added staff. Sounds like a disaster in the making. We don't want to vacation in a sea of kids, that's why we choose Celebrity or Holland over the other major lines. Very disappointed in Celebrity's current marketing. And before you say it, yes we have now booked on Viking and Virgin which looks like our future cruise pattern. 

I have to disagree here.  Kids don't suddenly behave or not based on how much money their parents paid for a room.  And parent's parenting style doesn't suddenly change if they get a free perk.    

I also disagree that the ship is not designed for kids.  There is a kid's club. There is a kid's arcade.  There is a Teen club.  There are designated kid's activities.  There are specific kid's menus. Seems to be you are implying that anyone who brings their kids on this ship is going against the rules - they are not.  This is not an adult only cruise ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I find it interesting that all those who love kids tend to say, I remember last year on the Summit or on our past cruise there were only a few kids and they were well behaved. Did it ever occur to you that the parents paid big bucks to include their children, which could have a bearing on their behavior? Some would argue otherwise, but that's my opinion. And Celebrity wasn't pushing a kids sail free campaign. If they pay nothing to include their children, and the ship is not designed for kids, like NCL or Carnival, is the kid's club gearing up to handle a big influx? Think about it - no added income, no added staff. Sounds like a disaster in the making. We don't want to vacation in a sea of kids, that's why we choose Celebrity or Holland over the other major lines. Very disappointed in Celebrity's current marketing. And before you say it, yes we have now booked on Viking and Virgin which looks like our future cruise pattern. 

 

Current marketing, they’ve been doing it for 25 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I find it interesting that all those who love kids tend to say, I remember last year on the Summit or on our past cruise there were only a few kids and they were well behaved. Did it ever occur to you that the parents paid big bucks to include their children, which could have a bearing on their behavior? Some would argue otherwise, but that's my opinion. And Celebrity wasn't pushing a kids sail free campaign. If they pay nothing to include their children, and the ship is not designed for kids, like NCL or Carnival, is the kid's club gearing up to handle a big influx? Think about it - no added income, no added staff. Sounds like a disaster in the making. We don't want to vacation in a sea of kids, that's why we choose Celebrity or Holland over the other major lines. Very disappointed in Celebrity's current marketing. And before you say it, yes we have now booked on Viking and Virgin which looks like our future cruise pattern. 

 

My wife worked in child care for over 20 years. Wealth of a family had no bearing on how children behaved. Quality family time spent with the kids had a much bigger impact than money. You could make a case nowadays that screens are limiting family time which could be impacting kids behaviors overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:48 AM, mfs2k said:

Celebrity met my needs for price, itinerary, demographics, and ship size and amenities.  I'm tolerant of kids onboard but without all waterslides, ziplines, rock climbing walls and playground, Celebrity isn't catering to children.  

 

Now, with this promotion, they seem to be trying to attract children.  While that's great for families, it's not so great for people who think like I do. 

 

This is what makes me nervous - as a whole, the lack of the very amenities you mention means the kids that are brought along for free do not have these things to enjoy.  Ships with these things can at least to some extent separate the kids from the adults.  On Celebrity they need the parents to keep them busy or they have to keep themselves busy which will not always be easy to do.  We'll see where this leads but I personally do not see this as a positive thing.  Keep in mind - I'm not a kid hater, I just don't want a family friendly vacation by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sascol said:

 

This is what makes me nervous - as a whole, the lack of the very amenities you mention means the kids that are brought along for free do not have these things to enjoy.  Ships with these things can at least to some extent separate the kids from the adults.  On Celebrity they need the parents to keep them busy or they have to keep themselves busy which will not always be easy to do.  We'll see where this leads but I personally do not see this as a positive thing.  Keep in mind - I'm not a kid hater, I just don't want a family friendly vacation by default.

There are Club Spaces on each X ship for children and teens... plus lots of activities during the day.

 

Rather the children and teens want to participate is a different issue.

 

I have not read, here on CC, that no child/teen did not enjoy those areas or activities, thus far.

 

Again, our experience is that on our sailings, there were no problems of note in that area. This is for Caribbean and Alaska sailings.

 

I do understand that there were problems with children on a SA sailing and families were dis-embarked at some point.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Suggestion. If you really don’t like dining around young children eat dinner as late as possible. Most parents of young kids prefer to eat early. 

 

I wish this was a blanket statement.  We've been in specialty restaurants 8:30 and later and parents with small children came in AFTER us.  Of course, as you'd expect the children were tired, cranky and the parents were oblivious to it.  No way to keep a 3 year old entertained and quiet for 2.5 hours at 9pm.  Paid $50+ each for specialty meals we could not enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Think about it - no added income, no added staff. Sounds like a disaster in the making. We don't want to vacation in a sea of kids, that's why we choose Celebrity or Holland over the other major lines. Very disappointed in Celebrity's current marketing. And before you say it, yes we have now booked on Viking and Virgin which looks like our future cruise pattern. 

If you think that there is no added income for Celebrity for children sailing "free" that would be incorrect. My kids cost me plenty on board and if it's costing me plenty then it's profits for the lines. There is specialty dining, ship tours in every port, soda, ice creams, coffees, souvenirs, snacks, arcade, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so income is not a determining factor in child behavior. Then explain why you are all saying that kids on a Celebrity ship might be well behaved? Explain why our one Carnival cruise was overrun with screaming, out of control children, running through the buffet (late September, after school is back in session) and how adding more kids to a Celebrity cruise is a good thing? Never did I imply that those who bring kids is breaking the rules. Yes, Celebrity has programs to handle the current level of children. But without the water slides, kiddy pools, race cars, rock climbing walls, wave pools, and so much more, Celebrity is not geared to handle hordes of kids, especially when kids are free. The vibe on Celebrity has always been more adult oriented, with a laid back feel. Add bunches of kids and that changes. And I'm confused by the person who said that Celebrity has been marketing "kids sail free" for 25 years? You are all trying to bite off my head here! What is wrong with enjoying a vacation in peace? There are plenty of cruiselines that cater to families with kids. We don't need another. Celebrity is simply trying every way they can to keep their inflated prices up. Simply lower the prices to reasonable levels and you will fill the cabins.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that the cruise that has the water slides, kiddy pools, race cars, etc. caters to a more loud and do what you want crowd - adults and kids alike.  Likely, the average person who brings their kids on Celebrity will know what behavior is appropriate on a Celebrity cruise versus a Carnival cruise.

 

Also - you might not have implied that those who bring kids on a Celebrity Cruise are officially breaking the rules but you definitely seem to have an extremely strong dislike for kids on any Celebrity cruise.  For someone who is looking forward to a family vacation with their children - it's difficult not to take offense.   I am bringing 2 kids on a Celebrity Cruise.  I have paid full price for them both.  I believe I deserve to enjoy my trip with my kids and not have to worry about people being annoyed that we dare to be on board.   

Nothing is wrong with enjoying a vacation in peace.  I just don't believe you have to turn your nose up at the idea of children being on board to do so.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Suggestion. If you really don’t like dining around young children eat dinner as late as possible. Most parents of young kids prefer to eat early. 

We always eat early. So now we should be restricted to eating late because of some kids who are now cruising for FREE! No way! We paid for our cruise, thank you. Think about what you are saying. That is why the current marketing upsets me. Being forced to eat late in order to eat in peace wasn't part of the deal. This was not a kiddie cruiseline, until now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Sascol said:

 

I wish this was a blanket statement.  We've been in specialty restaurants 8:30 and later and parents with small children came in AFTER us.  Of course, as you'd expect the children were tired, cranky and the parents were oblivious to it.  No way to keep a 3 year old entertained and quiet for 2.5 hours at 9pm.  Paid $50+ each for specialty meals we could not enjoy.

 

This would make me ask to be moved to another table, if at all possible. It really is a shame when selfish parents bring children to a mealtime experience that they can't possibly enjoy at their age. The parents may be used to dealing with their own children and more easily can "tune out" children's noises. Those of us with grown children (my youngest is 28 now!) often find the noise of misbehaving bored little ones much more disturbing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Sascol said:

 

I wish this was a blanket statement.  We've been in specialty restaurants 8:30 and later and parents with small children came in AFTER us.  Of course, as you'd expect the children were tired, cranky and the parents were oblivious to it.  No way to keep a 3 year old entertained and quiet for 2.5 hours at 9pm.  Paid $50+ each for specialty meals we could not enjoy.

Murano on Equinox has an age restriction...12 and older which definitely helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kellerb, you describe the exact situation that I have no problem with. You paid full price, and I'd be willing to bet that your kids are well behaved. The limited number of kids, like we have seen on past Celebrity cruises is fine. What I fear happening with this current promotion for kids sail free is hordes of kids, like we experienced on Carnival. It was horrible! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, twodjs said:

We always eat early. So now we should be restricted to eating late because of some kids who are now cruising for FREE! No way! We paid for our cruise, thank you. Think about what you are saying. That is why the current marketing upsets me. Being forced to eat late in order to eat in peace wasn't part of the deal. This was not a kiddie cruiseline, until now!

 

I agree 100%. We have been focused on X based in large part on the fact that it doesn't (didn't) market to families with young children.

 

Our Equinox cruise March 2018 had < 20 kids (but we were still annoyed by screaming toddlers at lunch, unfortunately). Overall, it was a peaceful, adult-oriented experience that encouraged us to book multiple future cruises with Celebrity. Now X is trying to bring a LOT more children onboard for our November cruises and we're stuck (flights purchased, non-refundable deals on both cruises).

 

Not happy about this Kids Sail Free promo. At. All.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, twodjs said:

We always eat early. So now we should be restricted to eating late because of some kids who are now cruising for FREE! No way! We paid for our cruise, thank you. Think about what you are saying. That is why the current marketing upsets me. Being forced to eat late in order to eat in peace wasn't part of the deal. This was not a kiddie cruiseline, until now!

You need to calm down! Your belief that this promotion is the be all end all of Celebrity is a bit over the top. This promo is not something that has been running for months and for every cruise. It's only for a few cruises for 2019, nothing any farther out. Celebrity is more expensive and that alone will deter parents with kids ..... except me and mine! Lol!  Should those of us with kids not be able to cruise a line with better food, service, luxury, and itineraries? Should we all be banished to sail only Carnival, NCL,  or Royal? We are doing the 15 day Panama on the NCL Bliss in 2 weeks, go carts and all. Even on that cruise as far as I know my 2 kids are appearing to be the only 2 kids aboard based on the super active roll call. If NCL can't get families on that cruise then don't worry about an overload of kids on Celebrity. Would you like to sail Carnival or a lower class line all the time because you're parents? 

Edited by tallnthensome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably wise of X to offer this promo to hopefully encourage those with children to give them a try so they can see for themselves that X does have a very good Kids Program.  Yes, X really does.  :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, twodjs said:

We always eat early. So now we should be restricted to eating late because of some kids who are now cruising for FREE! No way! We paid for our cruise, thank you. Think about what you are saying. That is why the current marketing upsets me. Being forced to eat late in order to eat in peace wasn't part of the deal. This was not a kiddie cruiseline, until now!

 

Who said “restricted to eating late?”  

Youre overreacting. 

What I posted was a suggestion to eat late because GENERALLY there are fewer kids in the dining room later rather than earlier. There are also fewer older senior citizens in the dining room later rather than earlier. 

 

If you want to avoid kids completely I can recommend some wonderful adults only all inclusive resorts.

 

If you want to minimize your interaction with children on board a ship there are certaintly things you can do to make your vacation more pleasant. 

 

Truthfully I’ve been on 11 carnival cruises between 1986 and 2012 ( most during Spring Break season) and I don’t ever remember kids being a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Ok, so income is not a determining factor in child behavior. Then explain why you are all saying that kids on a Celebrity ship might be well behaved? Explain why our one Carnival cruise was overrun with screaming, out of control children, running through the buffet (late September, after school is back in session) and how adding more kids to a Celebrity cruise is a good thing? Never did I imply that those who bring kids is breaking the rules. Yes, Celebrity has programs to handle the current level of children. But without the water slides, kiddy pools, race cars, rock climbing walls, wave pools, and so much more, Celebrity is not geared to handle hordes of kids, especially when kids are free. The vibe on Celebrity has always been more adult oriented, with a laid back feel. Add bunches of kids and that changes. And I'm confused by the person who said that Celebrity has been marketing "kids sail free" for 25 years? You are all trying to bite off my head here! What is wrong with enjoying a vacation in peace? There are plenty of cruiselines that cater to families with kids. We don't need another. Celebrity is simply trying every way they can to keep their inflated prices up. Simply lower the prices to reasonable levels and you will fill the cabins.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I get it people would prefer not to sail with a lot of kids. The only experience I can offer is 14 cruises on kid friendly lines and we never encountered any major issues where we said wow those kids are out of control. I do think that kids nowadays are better behaved than we want to think. 

 

It it could also be that when we cruise I tend to zone out those around us and just focus on my family. So if there were obnoxious kids (or adults) or someone dining next to us in a bathing suit it wouldn’t bother me. I refuse to let other cruisers make or break my cruise experience. Everyone’s ability to do this differs. 

 

So yeh I could see where more kids would ruin some people’s experience regardless of how they act, it would just not ruin ours.

 

Regardless Celebrity is making a decision with the direction they want to go, and I am guessing they are expecting some to leave the line because of it. They just hope they will gain more than they lose. 

 

I do want to add that my daughter probably would have liked Celebrity when she was younger, she wasn’t into the water slides and stuff like that. Her dad however enjoyed the water slides and stuff, rock wall was a no go tough due to a fear of heights lol. Then again are daughter is very quiet and a very well mannered young lady that all of you I am guessing would have been fine sailing with:)

Edited by cgolf1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I want to also point out that the kid friendly amenities on board aren’t much different today than they were up until 10-15 years ago when cruise ships started to go nuts with slides, rinks, climbing walls and zip lines. 

 

Before ships became amusement parks they just had kid camps, pools, and some upper deck sports facilities.  In ports parents took their kids on kid friendly excursions. Kids managed to have fun and travelled with their parents. 

 

I dont think what Celebrity is doing is all bad. It will lower the average age of adults on board too. I think there’s a lot of over reaction on this thread. 

Edited by mfs2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 10:11 PM, Bo1953 said:

I must chime in here on this...

 

The children we have encountered children and teens, mainly in the OVC and in the dining rooms..

 

Yes, encountered them in the elevators and all were well behaved and courteous for the most part, more so than some of the adult passengers, IMO!

 

This goes for our sailings to Bermuda during the summer as well as Alaska during the summer and a few of our Caribbean sailings during school holidays...

 

As such, I Am not sure of the reason the OP has disdain for children and teens during any sailing unless they have had poor experiences and exposures on X with this group???

 

If so, please let us know about it as opposed to the blanket statement...

 

bon voyage

Not a kid hater, but the difference even 25 kids can make at the pool is huge. The entire atmosphere is day and night. If your time at the pool is something you really look forward to, a little music, a little reading, a little paddling around, well forget it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sascol said:

 

I wish this was a blanket statement.  We've been in specialty restaurants 8:30 and later and parents with small children came in AFTER us.  Of course, as you'd expect the children were tired, cranky and the parents were oblivious to it.  No way to keep a 3 year old entertained and quiet for 2.5 hours at 9pm.  Paid $50+ each for specialty meals we could not enjoy.

 

That you can blame on the parents, Celebrity’s children’s programs provide options for the children to eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Pier290 said:

Murano on Equinox has an age restriction...12 and older which definitely helps

 

If they do it is against policy, they eliminated the age limit fleetwide several years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Elevatorman said:

Not a kid hater, but the difference even 25 kids can make at the pool is huge. The entire atmosphere is day and night. If your time at the pool is something you really look forward to, a little music, a little reading, a little paddling around, well forget it. 

I accept your position, I have never encountered more than six or seven (6/7) at the pool at any time, but that is ME.

 

Sorry if your experience has been made worse by having 25 kids at the pool during one of your sailing and can understand that their poor behaviour did ruin your time there as well...

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again for the fourth time in this thread, this is nothing new, not a change in policy. They have been doing this for 25 years and it has not changed the cruiseline. Way too much overreacting for something they’ve been doing since long before most of the complainers ever sailed with Celebrity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...