Seward - Anc train- Morning option??

VetteCity

The train from Seward to Anchorage is in the evening (inconvenient for our plans). I have noticed that other cruise lines have the option of a morning train from Seward to Anchorage. My question- is there a way for someone cruising with Windstar to book that morning train? Has anyone been successful in making arrangements through a third party to use the special train hired by other cruise lines? 

1 hour ago, VetteCity said:

The train from Seward to Anchorage is in the evening (inconvenient for our plans). I have noticed that other cruise lines have the option of a morning train from Seward to Anchorage. My question- is there a way for someone cruising with Windstar to book that morning train? Has anyone been successful in making arrangements through a third party to use the special train hired by other cruise lines? 

You can arrange for Windstar to transport you by bus to Anchorage.  We are using the Windstar transport from Anchorage to Seward at the start of our cruise.

I found that option. And, I have found other (and less expensive) options for bus transportation. I have read that the train ride is outstanding but it doesn't leave Seward until 6 pm. Taking evening transport to Anchorage doesn't work with the rest of our plans. I am just wanting more than I can probably get- to be able to take an earlier train that day.

Many years ago we booked a limo to pick up the six of us that drove us from Seward to Anchorage. We were able to stop along the way for photo ops. I don’t remember how much it cost. Have you looked into that option?

4 minutes ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

Many years ago we booked a limo to pick up the six of us that drove us from Seward to Anchorage. We were able to stop along the way for photo ops. I don’t remember how much it cost. Have you looked into that option?

No, but that is a great idea. Thank you!

The morning train is a charter done by mainstream cruise lines. Not only is there no way to book it independently, but also it would only run on days when a big ship is in port and Seward usually has only one passenger ship in port at a time. 

6 hours ago, VetteCity said:

I do not think there is any hidden option for the train mid-day train back to Anchorage.  As New Cruiser said it only operates to fill the needs of the larger ships.  And that is not everyday.  My best luck with alternatives in Alaska has been Knightly Tours (based in Seattle).  If there is a way to find other options, I would count on them to tell you about it. 

2 hours ago, milepig said:

Here are some options:

https://www.sewardalaskabus.com/

I haven't used them so can't give any review.

I checked this bus out. Our cruise lands on Saturday, July 6. This bus only services the larger cruise companies and doesn't serve Windstar. But, I have found another bus that doesn't actually service Windstar, but collects passengers at the Small Boatt Harbor. And there is a shuttle you can take to get there. Thanks everyone! - https://www.alaskatravel.com/bus-lines/seward-anchorage-am.html.