Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
l8cruiser

Lesson Learned

Recommended Posts

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago. We were enjoying the serenity deck. It was a very hot day. My wife was reading and I needed to cool off. I said , I am going down the slide and dip in the pool. I slid down the slide and cooled off in the pool. As I started back up the stairs , my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg. I flagged down a waiter and tried explaining to him my predicament. It took a few tries to make him understand. I needed him to go up and retrieve my flip flops. He comes back down with my flip flops on a tray. My wife said a guy just came up here and took your flip flops lol. That waiter received a very nice tip. From now on , I hold my flip flops across my chest when going down the slide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good piece of advice!

 

Same thing happened once to me.  Ran faster than ever...which still was not very fast...ouching it all the way to my chair.  

 

The lessons we learn!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, l8cruiser said:

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago. We were enjoying the serenity deck. It was a very hot day. My wife was reading and I needed to cool off. I said , I am going down the slide and dip in the pool. I slid down the slide and cooled off in the pool. As I started back up the stairs , my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg. I flagged down a waiter and tried explaining to him my predicament. It took a few tries to make him understand. I needed him to go up and retrieve my flip flops. He comes back down with my flip flops on a tray. My wife said a guy just came up here and took your flip flops lol. That waiter received a very nice tip. From now on , I hold my flip flops across my chest when going down the slide. 

OH YEAH...I have experienced the burning hot floors....it was awful...but I also learned never to do that again too :)

Edited by bingomamma19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truth.  If you're in bare feet, and not walking in the shade or on a wet deck, your feet WILL get very hot on those decks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so the deck was not hot when you went to the slide? It's definitely not a servers job to fetch your flip flops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, coevan said:

so the deck was not hot when you went to the slide? It's definitely not a servers job to fetch your flip flops.

No the deck wasn’t hot from between where we were sitting and the slide . The ship was casting a shadow where we were sitting . 

27 minutes ago, coevan said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, coevan said:

so the deck was not hot when you went to the slide? It's definitely not a servers job to fetch your flip flops.

 

9 minutes ago, l8cruiser said:

No the deck wasn’t hot from between where we were sitting and the slide . The ship was casting a shadow where we were sitting . 

 

I'm sure the OP tipped the fellow.

 

Is the going tipping rate for flip flop retrieval $1 total of $1 per flip flop?

Edited by DirtyDawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happened to my ex a couple of years ago on the Escape, I was in the lounger, he went to the Grotto to cool off, I told him to take his flip flops because the deck gets HOT. He said he'd be fine, I sat back and when I turned around, he was sitting on a lounger about half way between because it was to hot to get all the way back. :classic_biggrin:

I tried to tell him.

Edited by tonit964
Ship error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i always pack  my pair of water shoes . I paid about 5 bucks for them years ago at Walmart and they are great for wearing on Lido or for the slide. my feet don't get burned from the hot deck and i dont have to fool with taking off and putting back on flip flops everytime I want to go down the slide or get in the pool

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruisin4Becky said:

i always pack  my pair of water shoes . I paid about 5 bucks for them years ago at Walmart and they are great for wearing on Lido or for the slide. my feet don't get burned from the hot deck and i dont have to fool with taking off and putting back on flip flops everytime I want to go down the slide or get in the pool

 

This exactly!! Water shoes are a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone was nice enough to poor the coke on the deck for me to stand on and let me sit on the edge of their chair for a few minutes while cooling my feet. The deck can get VERY HOT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned this the hard way as well.  Flip flops go with me to the slide & I hold them going down.  They also go to the pool & sit poolside - same for hot tubs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We learned something similar last year.  DH and I were up near the Fascination slides, taking pics of the whale tale and St. Maarten, using my little photography sphere.  After about two seconds of holding it while I took a pic, DH started jumping and yelling and juggling the glass ball.  I thought he got stung by a bee.  But no, the sphere was magnifying the sun and burning his fingers!  Lesson learned!

 

I got a good photo though!

 

globe.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like water shoes are the way to go.  My daughter found some that are like socks, really comfortable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, l8cruiser said:

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago.... my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg..... . 

Rookie mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

Someone was nice enough to poor the coke on the deck for me to stand on and let me sit on the edge of their chair for a few minutes while cooling my feet. The deck can get VERY HOT!

 

 

Please don't say someone poured sugary,  sticky, coca cola on the deck of a ship? Gross!😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, l8cruiser said:

My wife and I were on the Freedom a few years ago. We were enjoying the serenity deck. It was a very hot day. My wife was reading and I needed to cool off. I said , I am going down the slide and dip in the pool. I slid down the slide and cooled off in the pool. As I started back up the stairs , my bare feet were on fire. I jump from shaded spot to shaded spot trying to get back up to the serenity deck. I couldn’t make it. The deck was hot enough to fry an egg. I flagged down a waiter and tried explaining to him my predicament. It took a few tries to make him understand. I needed him to go up and retrieve my flip flops. He comes back down with my flip flops on a tray. My wife said a guy just came up here and took your flip flops lol. That waiter received a very nice tip. From now on , I hold my flip flops across my chest when going down the slide. 

 

I bring sandals which I can put my hand through and push up my arm until they are secure :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coevan said:

 

 

Please don't say someone poured sugary,  sticky, coca cola on the deck of a ship? Gross!😵

I was thinking that too.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coevan said:

 

 

Please don't say someone poured sugary,  sticky, coca cola on the deck of a ship? Gross!😵

OMG! A little soda on the deck (like no one has ever spilled a drink on the deck) OR 2nd degree burns. Hmmm, I’ll take the sugar please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I learned this lesson a few years ago trying to do the water slides. Mom and I ended up with blisters on the bottoms of our feet, it was soooooo painful. My flip flops now go with me to the slides and poolside!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

OMG! A little soda on the deck (like no one has ever spilled a drink on the deck) OR 2nd degree burns. Hmmm, I’ll take the sugar please.

 

 

really?  accidently is one thing, deliberately pouring coke on the deck is just wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, coevan said:

so the deck was not hot when you went to the slide? It's definitely not a servers job to fetch your flip flops.

Well that was unnecessarily judgy.  No, it's not the server's job, but how nice for him to go above and beyond to give good service.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...