Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
DRS/NC

Scooter use in Halifax & Sydney, NS

Recommended Posts

I'll be Halifax & Sydney, NS on Aug. 21 & 22, 2019.

In Halifax, I think I'll wander around the port/Pier 21/boardwalk area -- if that area is scooter-friendly.  It sounds like that there is enough to keep me busy/entertained for several hours if I can do it on the scooter.  Does the Pier 21 Immigration Museum have an elevator that I can access?  Any other advice?

 

What attraction in Sydney are handicap-friendly?

 

Thanks for any help offered!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for asking these questions - I will be in Halifax and Sydney in Spetember and using a powerchair, so any/all answers you get will be helpful 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They is plenty to do in Halifax on a scooter. As long as you dock in the main port, you exit right onto the board walk which is over a mile long. There are a few mini malls which are very scooter friendly. There is a brewery right across the street. Make sure you get a lobster roll and a bear claw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will be fine in Halifax along the waterfront with a scooter. The Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is accessible: https://pier21.ca/visit/accessibility

 

For Sydney I am not so sure. You may want to take a ship's tour to see some scenic spots. The Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck seems to have accessible services: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/visit

 

Fortress Louisbourg would present some challenges: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/acces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, maryann ns said:

You will be fine in Halifax along the waterfront with a scooter. The Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 is accessible: https://pier21.ca/visit/accessibility

 

For Sydney I am not so sure. You may want to take a ship's tour to see some scenic spots. The Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck seems to have accessible services: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/grahambell/visit

 

Fortress Louisbourg would present some challenges: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/visit/acces

 

Thank you, maryann ns, for this information!  I, too, will be visiting Halifax and Sydney, and appreciate the information you have shared regarding powered scooter use in those ports.  

 

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, maryann ns said:

It would be wonderful if you would come back here to tell others how things work out.

 

I will be pleased to report on whatever I find out.  I will be there the end of April, so it may be a while before you get my information!

 

Bon Voyage!

~Barbara~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your help -- All of you!

 

Since this will be my first cruise w/a scooter, I've got a lot to learn. 

I'll be happy to share my ups & downs when I return.

 

I know that I can't use the scooter on our Greenland stops (tenders), but I'll see what works in Halifax, Sydney & St. John, Newfoundland.  (Of course, if I meet a Newfie in St. John, I may get no farther!)

 

DRS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We re not sailing until September, so I look forward to hearing feedback from the people going sooner.

 

DRS - step away from the Newfie, it is mine! 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

We re not sailing until September, so I look forward to hearing feedback from the people going sooner.

 

DRS - step away from the Newfie, it is mine! 😃

 

Slugsta -- Not if I see the Newfie first  I'll be there Sept. 1 or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRS/NC said:

 

Slugsta -- Not if I see the Newfie first  I'll be there Sept. 1 or 2.

We're not there until the 21st. Mind you, we would both have trouble trying to sneak one onboard 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Slugsta said:

We're not there until the 21st. Mind you, we would both have trouble trying to sneak one onboard 😂

 

But it's our Emotional Support Animal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DRS/NC said:

 

But it's our Emotional Support Animal!

 

Great idea! I could put a harness on mine and get it to pull my wheelchair 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me, but are you talking about a 2- or 4-legged Newfie?  Think about THAT one and re-read your posts!  I am having a great time reading them!  :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Excuse me, but are you talking about a 2- or 4-legged Newfie?  Think about THAT one and re-read your posts!  I am having a great time reading them!  :classic_laugh:

 

Well, was talking about the 4 legged variety, but I can't speak for anyone else 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slugsta -- members of the N. Dakota state legislature bring their Newfs to work!

www.grandforksherald.com/news/government-and-politics/4586932-they-care-about-people-search-and-rescue-dogs-join-north-dakota?fbclid=IwAR3gT2YqcQyx5ilDrUuyVHb8BKQxl4pAtj7Cp8MAe5jfXBZzKPeLmlcdMh0#.XJOSZ2udVoo.facebook

 

Could this improve the temperament in Congress & in Parliament?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

 

Could this improve the temperament in Congress & in Parliament?

 

It probably couldn't make it any worse!

 

I live in Poole, which is where many of the original Newfoundland inhabitants came from, so I am really looking forward to our visit for many reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going because (1) I've never been there; (2) I want to see a Newfie in Newfoundland; (3) my next door neighbor's family is from there. 

Wish we were on the same cruise!  Mine is on the Caribbean Princess, 8/19, NYC > NYC by way of Nova Scotia, Greenland, & Newfoundland. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DRS/NC said:

 

Wish we were on the same cruise!  Mine is on the Caribbean Princess, 8/19, NYC > NYC by way of Nova Scotia, Greenland, & Newfoundland. 

 

Yes, that would have been fun!

 

Ours is round trip Southamptom -Quebec, taking in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I would like to see Greenland but OH is less keen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...