Cruise Critic Community
Jazzbo

Grounding of 737 Max 8s and 9s

Has anybody tried to make alternative arrangements for flights?  We are due to fly from Orlando to San Juan early in the morning of April 6th on Southwest for the April 6th Summit cruise. I know that Southwest flies a lot of these planes.

It is my understanding that southwest will allow you to change to another flight at no cost if you desire to do so because of the max 8.

They have 34 of them.  Here is a link to their travel advisory telling you what to do. 

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_20192131552510386822.html

I believe that when I flew from MCO in January it was a 737-800 (not a MAX 😎 but you should check your aircraft.

Edited by wrk2cruise

Please note that NO 737’s have been grounded in the USA, only Europe and there is perhaps some protectionism going on in favor of airbus, Two crashes five months apart so do not  make a crisis, especially since the latest incident is still being investigated.

7 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Please note that NO 737’s have been grounded in the USA, only Europe and there is perhaps some protectionism going on in favor of airbus, Two crashes five months apart so do not  make a crisis, especially since the latest incident is still being investigated.

Tell that to the families and friends of the passengers and crew that were on those flights.

As stated above, all those planes have been grounded, appears to be American, Southwest, and United who have those models.

In Canada Westjet and Sunwing are grounded. Don’t know if Air. Canada has any but they would be cancelled too

23 minutes ago, Beverleyjean said:

In Canada Westjet and Sunwing are grounded. Don’t know if Air. Canada has any but they would be cancelled too

Air canada is grounded too.  Any Max 8 or Max 9’s are grounded. We flew a UA 737 Max 9 to FLL recently, thankfully without issue.

Edited by trophy_23

24 minutes ago, Beverleyjean said:

All of them everywhere are grounded. 

While I won't be flying for 30 days I was checking the equipment on my reservation and find I have a flight from IAH to FLL with a 737-Max 9

Checking  United flight today and was delayed about 2 hours late they substituted a 737-900 for the 737 Max 9.   Makes me more confident that it shouldn't affect us.

Call.  We called Southwest two nights ago before the grounding to check if were on a Max 8.  Our flight to SJU in a few weeks for the Summit cruise a week before yours was on a Max 8.  They let us switch to a flight out of TPA for no charge.  The morning flights I was told out of MCO and FLL use the Max 8.  

As they're grounded, Southwest will now be coming up with substitute plans to cater for replacement. You'd be contacted by the airline if there was any change to schedule. No need to call as they will manage things.

1 hour ago, justcrusn said:

More like protectionism in favour of Boeing since everywhere else had applied the precautionary principle.

Two unexplained crashes, in very similar circumstances, with nothing untoward, of the same brand new equipment, when every other plane is fine doesn't seem odd to you? How many more similar crashes to occur would you need to consider worth worrying about?

Hope this works out for all involved.  For some of you it would be a long drive.

Southwest has over 700 aircraft.  A little over 30 of them are are the 737 8 that are grounded.  They should be able to substitute other planes in.  I have a family member that services  planes for southwest and after the grounding all fights are still on schedule.

Wonder about those who are currently cruising and were booked on Max 8s for their return flight. Hope they are being accommodated.

We are returning to FLL on Friday aboard the Silhouette and are heading up to West Palm for our flight home to Long Island on Southwest. I checked our flight and our plane will be a 737-700, so I think we are okay.  Just hope if there are any delays, that they are minimal.

Edited by CruisersTimesThree

Both of the max aircraft 737-8 & 737-9 have been banned from Canadian air space by Transport Canada.

I was watching the news this morning and a flight out of Washington was on the runway, getting ready to take off, when the U.S. grounding order was issued. The pilot had to turn the plane around and return to the gate.  If that order was a couple of minutes later, those passengers would have been on their way to Florida! :classic_biggrin: Or ..... :classic_sad:

I'm sure there were lots of other disruptions yesterday and likely more today. But the airlines should have things sorted out pretty soon. 

Edited by DirtyDawg

Looks like this will effect many cruisers trying to get to Florida for the weekend's sailings.  I wish all of you well and hope you can quickly make alternative arrangements to get there. 

My guess is that by the weekend, the airlines will have substitute planes available, probably older 737's, which have never had a problem. It seems like Boing, like car manufacturers, are relying too much on computers. The big difference is that on cars, they can be over ridden with no problem. In a plane, if it cant, you lose a lot of people. Shame on Boing for putting thousands , if not millions, of people at risk without giving detailed instructions to the pilots of how to over ride.

12 hours ago, justcrusn said:

So you are an Aviation expert yes? 😏

By the way, EASA does not do Protectionism, it is the Leading Aviation Authority in the World.