NO more private taxis in St Thomas

tallyho8

A new private company got the monopoly to run all the taxis in St Thomas. They will no longer let you catch a taxi to go to where you want to go. They are concentrating on excursions and you can only get one to go where they are pre-planned to go and then you must wait for it to fill up before they will go. We tried to get one to Paradise Point and one to Greengo's but they refused us. They were VERY rude and told us to go up the road to catch one to take us there but after walking half a mile to where they told us to go, the taxis there refused to take us there also. My wife is handicapped and after that walk she could not go any further. The taxis refused to bring us back to the port and we had to hitchhike back. Very scary. 

I was in St Thomas a couple of months ago and was able to get a taxi to go anywhere I wanted but the new company won't do that and they pay their drivers less so all the drivers are very mad and rude and will not go anywhere without a full taxi so they can make the most money.

I have been to St Thomas about 7 times and been to about 75 different ports and have never been unable to get a taxi to take me where I wanted to go before. I will not return to St Thomas until they once again have regular taxi service.

That is just not true. I know a few taxi drivers and talked to one last week about giving a private tour.

There are several taxi associations on the island and most of them enter into concession contracts at various locations. Not all taxi drivers belong to an association. Those that do belong wear the uniform of their association.

At Crown Bay Dock Royal Caribbean negotiated preferential placement of their shore excursion providers much to the dismay of the private taxis so yes, you now have to walk past them in order to get non excursion transportation, but it was similar to my experience at Western Caribbean ports.

If you need assistance at Crown Bay the ship's agent is in the little building right next to the ship.

• Like 1

There has always been a monopoly at the cruise ship docks. There is a designated association that is the only one allowed to pick up at the dock. Recently there was a change. Ms411 might know better, but I understand that a lot of the drivers from the old association just switched to the new one.

When you asked to go to Greengo's, you could have just taken the taxi to town. Greengo's is very close to their drop-off spot. I suspect that many safaris don't like going up to Paradise Point. It is hard on the brakes. It is best to take the tram.

I am concerned that you say no one would take you back to the ship. The drivers troll for people walking along the streets crying, "Back to the ship!" I can't believe you had trouble finding someone.

Unfortunately, the taxi operation is probably the biggest cause of complaints from visitors and residents alike. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

There are 2 docks and they use different taxi associations. The taxi drivers may not be familiar with Greengo's. They know town, Havensight, Crown Bay, beaches, hotels, etc, but may not know individual businesses.

This is our first cruise (2 couples) and our plan for the day in St. Thomas was to grab a taxi and go to Magen's Bay early morning, have lunch there and head to Paradise Point early afternoon and then back to the port (we are docked at Crown Bay)....I am unsure reading the comments if this is still possible....can anyone advise?  I'm a little worried!!  TIA :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Yes, MichLeBlanc, you can still do what you've planned.

So, we are still able to grab a private taxi to go about our day?  Will they be just outside the port area?  I presume there will be signs....sorry for all the questions, like I said we are cruise newbies!! LOL.

There is a taxi stand at both docks. I don't know if there are signs showing where they are but if you follow the crowds you'll soon see the taxi waiting areas.

More likely than not you'll be sharing the taxi with others going in the same direction. Some taxis can carry 20+ passengers. Taxis charge designated rate based on destination and fare is per person each way. The maximum that you would pay is about $15 or so. Cash only for most taxis.

After reading this, I was concerned about getting a Taxi as well.  I have been to St. Thomas more than once, and really only wanted to go to Lindquist, Saphire, Magens, Secret Harbor or Emerald Beach.  If you have been to one of these within the past year, can you give me an idea which would be the closest to the port?

Also, my friend is disabled. Are there any vendors close by the dock, or is there quite a walk from the ship?

The original post is incorrect so please ignore it. There are still TONS of private taxis all over the island so nobody will have a problem getting a taxi to take them to popular tourist destinations.

The original poster asked for a taxi to Greengo's which is in town. Many taxi drivers may not know about Greengo's so best to ask them to take you to town and then ask someone in town how to get to Greengo's or where ever else you may want to go.

The ship's excursions transportation is closest to the ship at every port I've been to so you have to walk past them to get any other type of transportation or excursion. Some docks have some sort of shuttle if you don't want to walk.

beshears: Lindbergh Bay (where Emerald Beach Hotel is situated) is closest to Crown Bay. Either Magens or Lindqvist would be closest to Havensight. Havensight (West Indian dock) is a large shopping area. Crown Bay has some stores, but many fewer than Havensight.

My experience: our ship stopped at St. Thomas three weeks ago, at Crown Bay. Off the ship we asked for a taxi to Sapphire Beach. They put is in one of those open air taxis and we had to wait until it was full, then we left. 

First we dropped someone off at an excursion. Then we were taken to Coki Beach to let people off there. After that they finally took us to Sapphire Beach. 

I feel really bad for the one remaining passenger who was going to the ferry to St John. That ferry doesn't run very often and she probably missed one ferry with the other stops we made first. 

It wasn't terrible going to Coki Beach first but if you are heading to St. John you should ask to make sure that the taxi is going directly to the ferry.

• 3 months later...

How much for taxi to Magens Beach to and back do they have ones at the beach waiting to have you return trip.  We've never done it on our own and want to just go there this time. 

3 minutes ago, sj25 said:

How much for taxi to Magens Beach to and back do they have ones at the beach waiting to have you return trip.  We've never done it on our own and want to just go there this time. 

It was $5 each way for the taxi...this was one of the better ports as far as taxis go; very easy and felt safe!!!

8 minutes ago, MichLeBlanc said:

It was $5 each way for the taxi...this was one of the better ports as far as taxis go; very easy and felt safe!!!

Thank you,  Was there taxi's waiting there to take you back when you wanted to go back?

3 minutes ago, sj25 said:

Thank you,  Was there taxi's waiting there to take you back when you wanted to go back?

Yes there was; the open air taxis or you can make arrangements with a private taxi to pick up at a certain time.  We opted to take the open air taxis and leave when we wanted instead of committing to a time.