As of today 3/14/19

1dkramer

I have been on 10 Celebrity Cruise and I have 4 more booked. I just saw on there web site that if you book a cruise with a refundable deposit you now only get $150.00 OBC pre person, and when you use to get two of 4 perks or all four if you booked the best. Now you get 3 perks if you book a non-refundable deposit. Who in there right mind would book a non-refundable deposit. You never know what will happen and that means you lose your money. 

It’s time to start looking for another cruise line, if you have any suggestions please advise. NCL has to many kids and the smoking is to much for me. 

I guess I'm failing to see what is so offensive about having the option for a non-refundable deposit? Risk vs. reward. You're willing to risk the deposit if your plans change and in turn they will sweeten the pot with an extra perk. If that doesn't work out for you, you still have a flexible option. 

• Like 4

Some people want to save a few dollars and non refundable works for them.  Additionally, Celebrity (and TA's) can advertise cruises at a lower price to be competitive and then upsell for more revenue.  It works for some...not for others.

• Like 1

I book non-refundable for the third perk...  and get insurance.   If you need to change the date in case of an emergency they take $100 per person  from the deposit.   The rest is transferred to the new date,  so really it's not really non-refundable, unless you cancel it.  Worth the risk for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1dkramer said:

I have been on 10 Celebrity Cruise and I have 4 more booked. I just saw on there web site that if you book a cruise with a refundable deposit you now only get $150.00 OBC pre person, and when you use to get two of 4 perks or all four if you booked the best. Now you get 3 perks if you book a non-refundable deposit. Who in there right mind would book a non-refundable deposit. You never know what will happen and that means you lose your money. 

It’s time to start looking for another cruise line, if you have any suggestions please advise. NCL has to many kids and the smoking is to much for me. 

So none of us in the U.K. are in our right mind ? , perhaps if all deposits were non refundable people would only book cruises they intend to go on instead of booking several at the same time knowing they are going to cancel some of them this would mean more choice of staterooms for others 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1dkramer said:

Welcome to cruise critic.

It May be possible that you have misunderstood something.  

I suggest you phase your concern in the form of a question.

Are  you suggesting that you cannot book the Best bundle with a refundable deposit?  This is not true.

Before you make any final decisions, I suggest you make sure that you understand the options correctly.

My understanding is that the non-nonrefundable  deposit is non-refundable but can be changed to a different cruise for a fee of circa $100.  

I've never booked one but when you think of other travel decisions you make e.g. hotels, car rentals and airline tickets.   There are lots of deals for non-refundable bookings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, Knolmom said:

Just booked onboard with a non refundable deposit of 100 pp, got 3 perks and $450 OBC for an Oceanview. I’ll bet $200 on that!

I booked a NRD for May of 2020 for a great itinerary in Europe.  It had all four perks,(450 OBC) so I went for it.  I always insure my deposit now, then add to it, so no worries except the insurance which was $110 for $900.  I think some just do not totally understand how this can work, along with a little risk...all i will be out is the insurance money, as it covers all of it!

Edited by Lastdance