Cruise Critic Community
Markanddonna

Increase in gratuity

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

There is no need to pay them six months in advance. You can wait until the week before the cruise and prepay it then.

You can only prepay at the old rate til 3-31. Our cruise isn't til September. If we waited til one week prior, we'd be forced to pay the new rate. Plus, I would think it would be tougher to adjust downward if the money is already in Frank Del Fee-O's pockets.

Edited by blcruising

5 hours ago, blcruising said:

You can only prepay at the old rate til 3-31. Our cruise isn't til September. If we waited til one week prior, we'd be forced to pay the new rate. Plus, I would think it would be tougher to adjust downward if the money is already in Frank Del Fee-O's pockets.

No, this is the same procedure as it always is, and people are always confused on this point.

From the email quoted at the start of this thread:

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2019 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date.

If you have made a booking before 31 March you can prepay at the current rate any time prior to sail date.

14 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

well sounds great, but question? isn't MSC part of the NCL family?

Nope.  MSC is family owned and so far they have more or less treated us that way vs being treated as a nickel or dime.

17 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There are price increases roughly every 3-4 months but since they are different types of increases, some people don't really notice.

For example, increasing the purchase price of the 3SDP by $10 would only add $2 for people getting it as a promo. The same with increasing the purchase price of the UBP/UOB.

Going from 18% to 20% has the same type of unnoticed effect on the promos. By my estimate, the 20% will go to 22% across the board sometime in October.

Ain't that the truth :classic_huh:

I heard this morning, from a very reliable source,  that the increase in the DSC is going to pay for additional security screening to catch all those plastic straw smugglers. 

:classic_ohmy:

Some of us mostly loyal NCL folks have discovered MSC. Their prices are lower, the experience was very good to excellent, and the gratuity is less. We asked the maitre'd for an envelope to give our amazing waiter an extra tip and they had none. No tipping comments, last minute smoozing, or speeches on giving them a rating of 10 like on RCL. I have another NCL cruise on the schedule only because of their unique itinerary in Greece and Israel. I have three MSC cruises booked!

11 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Some of us mostly loyal NCL folks have discovered MSC. Their prices are lower, the experience was very good to excellent, and the gratuity is less. We asked the maitre'd for an envelope to give our amazing waiter an extra tip and they had none. No tipping comments, last minute smoozing, or speeches on giving them a rating of 10 like on RCL. I have another NCL cruise on the schedule only because of their unique itinerary in Greece and Israel. I have three MSC cruises booked!

We have three booked as well with one in 8 days.  

I hate gratuities.  I wish they just raised the price per person and gave the money to salaries and gratuities became again something that the cruiser chooses or chooses not to give.  I am a generous tipper (because I was the worst server ever so I know how hard the job is) but I hate that it is now mandated at a certain rate.  Just give the employees that money and allow us to give extras for great service. 

22 hours ago, Gershep said:

This is ridiculous. They raise them every year. 

Most things go up annually, so not sure why it's such a big problem?

21 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

the form asks for a reason why you are removing it.

you just leave it blank?

Why would you want to do that?  Think of all the crew who bust their backs for the passengers each and every day of their lives!

Did I get this correct in that for a standard balcony it only went from $14.50 to $14.99 per day/per person?   

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

We have three booked as well with one in 8 days.  

Got our first one booked.  

I said it before and I'll say it again...if the tips go to the employees...how come THEIR pay check doesn't change???  It is the same if it's a full ship or not.....I believe that the tipping charge started because some countries never tip ...it's not in their culture 🤗  It seems that only Americans stress about "tipping"  I've worked my way thru college by waiting on tables....the more smiles and service I performed  the  bigger tips I received ( that didn't sound:classic_rolleyes: right did it?/)  At one time I owned a restaurant and "wished that I was getting the tips my servers received "

When my husband and I see an employee going out of their way for strangers and they are standing next to an employee who is "just standing" We will slip them some cash and tell them that they are doing a good job...even if they never waited on us....the same way we will compliment a family if their children are well behaved ...but never say anything to a family who lets their children run amuck:classic_wink:   ( except if they are running in the Halls and knocking people with walkers over )  Those of us who have been cruising since the "white envelope" days remembers how much fun dolling out the tips was...hugs...photo shots etc.  I remember a little man who was on the old Holland Nordam...the first day he would ask you your favorite song...from then on everytime  he would see you he would sing your song with a smile.  His job???  handing out plates and silverwear at breakfast time.  The men who would "open the doors for you" would also address you by name and inquire about your day...they would be dressed up like those Phillip Morris men  ( If you remember those I can guess your age🤗) Those are the employees that racked in the big bucks at the end of the cruise... Going over and beyond...

2 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

We are thinking about it, we currently have one more cruise with NCL in October and then considering MSC, we may be pausing NCL for a while.

I'm also considering an MSC cruise.  I'm still "testing the waters" (so to speak), my upcoming cruise on NCL will only be my 3rd overall, first on NCL.  I was looking at the itinerary for MSC's Bellissima next April and am SUPER intrigued, especially with the single price being the same as my Pacific Coastal this year.  It's just the airfare to get there that has me stalling on booking it!

17 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'm also considering an MSC cruise.  I'm still "testing the waters" (so to speak), my upcoming cruise on NCL will only be my 3rd overall, first on NCL.  I was looking at the itinerary for MSC's Bellissima next April and am SUPER intrigued, especially with the single price being the same as my Pacific Coastal this year.  It's just the airfare to get there that has me stalling on booking it!

definitely competitive prices. I just saw a 21 day cruise for 1000 dollars...Miami to Germany in 2020...as opposed to the one i am doing in October on NCL which is over 2000 dollars for 19 days...

Not a problem at all. I always look at this as a base anyways and leave cash through the cruise for exceptional service.

I had my NCL PCC add them to my cruise account this morning.  You don't actually have to "pay" them immediately by the 31st.  They can be added directly to your cruise account at the current rate by locking them in.  My cruise balance just went up :classic_blink:

Another cruiser here who is Platinum on NCL but whose "test cruise" experience on MSC was so good that we booked our next cruise on MSC and are looking at others further out.  We like NCL and do have one NCL cruise scheduled (largely because we have to use a future cruise credit by Jan 1st).   But as NCL's prices keep rising, we feel the value of an NCL cruise is lessening.  Kind of gets you thinking about looking  elsewhere.   Of course, everyone has their own tipping point.

3 hours ago, Joeghartman said:

Not a problem at all. I always look at this as a base anyways and leave cash through the cruise for exceptional service.

And this is why they continue to raise the prices. There are folks who would pay any price NCL told them to without questioning it. It could be 19.99 per day, and people would say, well, prices increase or the crew works hard. I am a little more curious about how I spend my money and where it goes. To me, a gratuity is directly related to service. So, absent a cost of living increase, gratuities should increase with the service level. 

Many hotels charge resort fees, and in exchange for that fee, you get free WIFI or free shuttle to Disney or bottled water in your room, etc. You get none of this with NCL. It's the ABC rule, Always Be Curious.

NCL knows there will always be some folks that pay whatever NCL recommends, so it is an easy cash grab for corporate, especially if crew wages don't increase at the same level.

20 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Maybe is time for NCL to give them a higher living wage and most importantly better working hours, some of them can go as you as 14 hours of work and i have been on cruises that workers look very tired. We always leave extra tips for our steward and if we have a great waiter or waitress we always try to get their section, 9 out of 10 times it works 🙂 and of course they will get a great tip at the end of the cruise.

You would think that there would be some money available to compensate the "poor hardworking" crew when Frank Del Rio pockets $10,494,213 and Andy Stuart $3,203,061. I guess it is better to squeeze the customer by nickle and diming with the pretense that it is going to those overworked members.

The problem I'm having is that I want to pre-pay my grats now but on the NCL site you click on to pay them, it states it's not available at this time. Huh? How do I pay before 3/31 if the website won't let me?

On 3/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, Gershep said:

This is ridiculous. They raise them every year. 

Most things go up every year. 

22 minutes ago, patrice1 said:

The problem I'm having is that I want to pre-pay my grats now but on the NCL site you click on to pay them, it states it's not available at this time. Huh? How do I pay before 3/31 if the website won't let me?

The website can be a bit wonky some times so just keep trying.  If not, you can always go old school and use the telephone.