Social Media Package and i message?

emarismom

I have an i phone and so does my my son. I will be on a cruise this summer without him.  If I purchase the social media package, will I be able to message him from the ship? Do i just put my phone in airplane mode, logon to the ship's wi-fi, and then message as usual?  I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. 

You are.  Thats exactly how it works.  Plus, Facebook messenger works and I believe Whatsapp as well. 

Just know that if you got the free perk of 250 minutes, you can apply the credit to any other package for internet, just not the Social Media package.

One other note, it ends *exactly* at the 7 day mark.  The wife activated hers on day 1 at 4pm and it ended on day 7 exactly at 4.  So it wouldn't work the remainder of the evening, without the 24 hour rate being activated (e.g. another single day rate)

On 3/14/2019 at 6:02 PM, emarismom said:

I have an i phone and so does my my son. I will be on a cruise this summer without him.  If I purchase the social media package, will I be able to message him from the ship? Do i just put my phone in airplane mode, logon to the ship's wi-fi, and then message as usual?  I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly.

One clarification - you will BOTH need to have some sort of wifi package to accomplish this as only one device can be connected to an account at a time. If you don't otherwise require wifi you could both download the Cruise Norwegian app and pay the one-time $10 per person fee (for the entire cruise) to activate the guest-to-guest communications feature of the app and txt back and forth that way. It would still be substantially cheaper to do this and buy one social media wifi package to share for your other needs as opposed to buying two social media / unlimited wifi packages.

1 hour ago, cdnsteelman said:

One clarification - you will BOTH need to have some sort of wifi package to accomplish this as only one device can be connected to an account at a time. If you don't otherwise require wifi you could both download the Cruise Norwegian app and pay the one-time $10 per person fee (for the entire cruise) to activate the guest-to-guest communications feature of the app and txt back and forth that way. It would still be substantially cheaper to do this and buy one social media wifi package to share for your other needs as opposed to buying two social media / unlimited wifi packages.

One clarification - OP clearly states he's NOT cruising with his son so only ONE package required. 

I called customer service with this exact question, they told me I would need a WiFi package and that the social media package wouldn’t work for IMessage 

That wouldn’t be the first time I got bad info from customer support.

Edited by TampaGambler

5 hours ago, TampaGambler said:

I called customer service with this exact question, they told me I would need a WiFi package and that the social media package wouldn’t work for IMessage 

But, you could both download the Whatsapp APP and you can call and text (including sending pictures) on this with just the social media package. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 6:37 AM, TampaGambler said:

Reviving this dead thread to see if anyone knew for sure about iMessage working with the social media package.

Thanks! 

18 hours ago, JohnBoy in NC said:

It worked for us on the Epic Transatlantic, so we could keep in touch with kids. Used whatsapp for the kids with Android devices and IMessage for the kids/family with iPhones. 

This was with purchasing the social media package only? Sorry just want to double check as I want to let my staff know how they can reach me in case of an emergency! 

THANKS

I have had the full package on some cruise and social media package on recent cruise - WA and FB messenger worked both fine with both of them. Hovewer iMessages worked at least for me even when I wasn't signed into package with my credentials - was enough to be connected to ships Wi-Fi. I don't know if they have already blocked that obvious hole in their system. 🙂

7 hours ago, Victorious8 said:

This was with purchasing the social media package only? Sorry just want to double check as I want to let my staff know how they can reach me in case of an emergency! 

THANKS

Yes we just booked the social media package only, no internet package whatsoever 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, molsiesmom said:

Besides facebook messenger can you browse and post on Facebook itself with only the social media package?

Yes - my wife did this on our trip...could do everything but surf the web and check email. (However there was a few days where we could- the firewall gate was left open accidentally or something)

31 minutes ago, JohnBoy in NC said:

Yes - my wife did this on our trip...could do everything but surf the web and check email. (However there was a few days where we could- the firewall gate was left open accidentally or something)

Perfect.  Thank you