Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Grandma Cruising

Upgrade bid experiences

Recommended Posts

Cruise date is August 17-27th on Journey

LCV level is Adventurer with a single cruise on Celebrity and none on Azamara

Cabin Category booked was regular balcony, bid for Club Continent Suite

Bid was 350/pp with was considered weak.    

Notified that received upgrade to a N2 Club continent suite 38 days before sailing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Date of cruise - 29th June
Length - 7 days
LCV - Discoverer Plus
Bid submitted - 5th May
Amounts bid - £1,540 total from N2 to Club World Owners or £1,320 total to Club Ocean. Both weakest bids.
Success email - 30th May to Club World Owners for £1,540 total

We decided to bid as we used 6 free days for the cruise. We knew which deck we were bidding for as there were only 2 left. Upgrade came with full perks such as OBC and best of best dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, leennp said:

Cruise date is August 17-27th on Journey

LCV level is Adventurer with a single cruise on Celebrity and none on Azamara

Cabin Category booked was regular balcony, bid for Club Continent Suite

Bid was 350/pp with was considered weak.    

Notified that received upgrade to a N2 Club continent suite 38 days before sailing

 

as much as I grant you the upgrade it makes me angry when I think we are on the same cruise, are Discoverer+ (with 17 cruises on Celebrity, 15 on Royal Caribbean and 13 on Azamara) and did not even get the email to be able to bid for an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leennp said:

Cruise date is August 17-27th on Journey

LCV level is Adventurer with a single cruise on Celebrity and none on Azamara

Cabin Category booked was regular balcony, bid for Club Continent Suite

Bid was 350/pp with was considered weak.    

Notified that received upgrade to a N2 Club continent suite 38 days before sailing

 

Congratulations on your upgrade, it sounds fabulous, can I just ask were you able to log into the upgrade site at 90 days approx, I can’t get past that but I don’t understand what the criterior is, I know there are not many upgrades left now for our cruise, we get on as you get off, enjoy your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Klaus234 said:

as much as I grant you the upgrade it makes me angry when I think we are on the same cruise, are Discoverer+ (with 17 cruises on Celebrity, 15 on Royal Caribbean and 13 on Azamara) and did not even get the email to be able to bid for an upgrade.

 

I "get that" ...not sure how this "system" is working...in "any way/shape or form"????  LuAnn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not able to log onto the bidding site until under 60 days, maybe like 56 days out I made Bid, prior to that it just kept saying ineligible.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, leennp said:

I was not able to log onto the bidding site until under 60 days, maybe like 56 days out I made Bid, prior to that it just kept saying ineligible.   

Thank you for update, it seems a very frustrating system, I much preferred the old one.  

 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quest, June 2019, 10 days Alaska

Originally booked a window cabin. (This was a last minute cruise for us, we only booked about 8 weeks out)
bid $200 per person for balcony (min. bid was $200, obviously our bid was “weak”)
upped it $50 more per person about 10 days before sailing when I saw some balconies were available again
 
status: Discoverer Plus (2nd cruise on Azamara, 25+ on Celebrity)
2nd bid was successful about a week before we sailed.  
 
We had a balcony for Cuba in February for our 1st Azamara Cruise & loved it! I’m sure we would have enjoyed the OV as well, but we were very happy to get the upgrade for $500, which was significantly less than if we had booked a balcony originally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, leennp said:

Cruise date is August 17-27th on Journey

LCV level is Adventurer with a single cruise on Celebrity and none on Azamara

Cabin Category booked was regular balcony, bid for Club Continent Suite

Bid was 350/pp with was considered weak.    

Notified that received upgrade to a N2 Club continent suite 38 days before sailing

 

Can you remember when you made the bid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 56 days before sailing, was first time i was able to make bid, before that just said voyage inelegible

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, leennp said:

About 56 days before sailing, was first time i was able to make bid, before that just said voyage inelegible

 

Thanks.

 

I’ve incorporated the last 3 lots of information into the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never got that email to bid.  Get all kinds of emails from Azamara to buy cruises, excursions, dining packages, etc.. They certainly have my email address.  We booked a veranda cabin and had hoped to get a chance at the $395 upgrade. We were annoyed at not being invited to bid. However, we enjoyed the smaller cabin. It was really nice when the ship hit rough seas. Bed was close to the walls and bathroom. Reach out and touch a wall or furniture. There was enough storage space. From previous cruises we knew that the bathroom was small. The tiny shower had enough room. Since the floor outside the shower has a drain,you can ditch the curtain. Since you cannot easily bend down in the shower to pick up soap if you drop it, put an extra bar of soap in the shower. We saved the upgrade cost and were happy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas?  Just logged into our reservation for 4 October to register for an upgrade bid and not the message Not Eligible - We're within the 90 days time frame, booked no differently to we have on our previous 21 Azamara cruises (and had both the $398 and  upgrades in the new system), same Travel Agent (booked onboard and transferred to TA).  I've sent off an email and hoping to get a response.  Has anyone had the same happen and wonder why?  We're DiscoverPlus not that makes any difference to the bidding process.  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only see 2 v2 cabins; 5 V1 cabins, 5  N2 and 6 N1 cabins still available on Oct 4 Quest..Maybe this is why??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aussie travel bird said:

Any ideas?  Just logged into our reservation for 4 October to register for an upgrade bid and not the message Not Eligible - We're within the 90 days time frame, booked no differently to we have on our previous 21 Azamara cruises (and had both the $398 and  upgrades in the new system), same Travel Agent (booked onboard and transferred to TA).  I've sent off an email and hoping to get a response.  Has anyone had the same happen and wonder why?  We're DiscoverPlus not that makes any difference to the bidding process.  Thanks in advance.


We're also within the 90 day period and I'm getting the "not eligible" notification, too.  I think perhaps they just haven't opened up the cruises to bidding yet.  They say 90 days, but who knows...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Fatfish said:

I only see 2 v2 cabins; 5 V1 cabins, 5  N2 and 6 N1 cabins still available on Oct 4 Quest..Maybe this is why??

Of course my email to Azamara Ugrades bounced, email address not found.  I wouldn't think it would stop you from bidding anyway as I'm sure they'd want a list of people prepared to upgrade if there's cancellations.  Hopefully Bonnie or Grandma Cruising can give me an idea. We are currently booked in a V2 and I see that there are 6 N1 Club Continent Suites still available.....

Edited by aussie travel bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aussie travel bird said:

Of course my email to Azamara Ugrades bounced, email address not found.  I wouldn't think it would stop you from bidding anyway as I'm sure they'd want a list of people prepared to upgrade if there's cancellations.  Hopefully Bonnie or Grandma Cruising can give me an idea. We are currently booked in a V2 and I see that there are 6 N1 Club Continent Suites still available.....

 

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I know we got ineligible messages at 90 days. It took a few days to open up for bidding. Have you emailed LCV?

 

No I haven't as yet, I might give it a little while longer, I'm sure that bids won't be finalized this early. Thanks for your response which is much appreciate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t hold your breath.  There were more suites than that left in May and they were sold through agencies and interline.  If you want a suite you need to pay upfront to be sure. I’d just content myself with the balcony and pay as you go on any speciality dining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jenny, we got that same message right up until we sailed , yet there were still suites available on our last cruise. No matter, still enjoyed the balcony at the end of the day. It is frustrating, though, especially the loyalty aspect of how things seem to be playing out....or lack of!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you bid for a suite, do you get the suite perks such as free alternative dining ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dabear said:

If you bid for a suite, do you get the suite perks such as free alternative dining ?

Yes, if you’re in a suite you get all the Suite benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lookyboy said:

Jenny, we got that same message right up until we sailed , yet there were still suites available on our last cruise.

Just received an offer to bid on any or all of four suite categories, from a veranda.  There are no suites available on this cruise that's three months away, and a month past final payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received our email today to bid. Still undecided.  We are in Oceanview at Discoverer level and just have the option to bid for verandah.  I was under the impression  that we would be able to bid for higher categories. N1 and N2 has 11 cabins available on line, but there is no option do so. Has anyone been able to bid on these categories when booked in an oceanview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...