Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Grandma Cruising

Upgrade bid experiences

Recommended Posts

Looking at the spreadsheet $400 seems to be the most common minimum bid whatever the category bid for, other than for the large suites. There are a few ‘outliers’ but they may be due to misunderstanding between me and the person posting.

Successful bids for CC Suites are quite a bit higher than the minimum bids, but this doesn’t seem to be the case for OV to Verandah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Looking at the spreadsheet $400 seems to be the most common minimum bid whatever the category bid for, other than for the large suites. There are a few ‘outliers’ but they may be due to misunderstanding between me and the person posting.

Successful bids for CC Suites are quite a bit higher than the minimum bids, but this doesn’t seem to be the case for OV to Verandah.

 

So..."Grandma"...to be sure I "get it"...seems like $400 pp is a pretty good "bid" to go from an OV to a Veranda?...I'm concerned...because we had to cancel the T/P on Pursuit...due to DH being ill...and AZ was nice enough to let me transfer the $$ paid to a much more expensive sailing...which meant I needed to book an OV....nothing wrong with that...except I have lived my entire life in So Cal...and "fresh air/light" is a daily part of my life. I'm a bit concerned I'll be a bit "closed in" in an OV...just because...I'm a "fresh air freak"!!! :) :)...do I understand that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LuAnn said:

 

So..."Grandma"...to be sure I "get it"...seems like $400 pp is a pretty good "bid" to go from an OV to a Veranda?...I'm concerned...because we had to cancel the T/P on Pursuit...due to DH being ill...and AZ was nice enough to let me transfer the $$ paid to a much more expensive sailing...which meant I needed to book an OV....nothing wrong with that...except I have lived my entire life in So Cal...and "fresh air/light" is a daily part of my life. I'm a bit concerned I'll be a bit "closed in" in an OV...just because...I'm a "fresh air freak"!!! 🙂 :)...do I understand that?  

From the reported results that seems to be pretty much the case - there are 7 reported bids for OV to Verandah - all successful. These were $400, $400, $480, $487, $500, $550 & $637 (the odd amounts are  bids made in £s and translated into dollars).

This is a pretty small sample, though, and it will depend on the number of available cabins at each level.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LuAnn said:

 

So..."Grandma"...to be sure I "get it"...seems like $400 pp is a pretty good "bid" to go from an OV to a Veranda?...I'm concerned...because we had to cancel the T/P on Pursuit...due to DH being ill...and AZ was nice enough to let me transfer the $$ paid to a much more expensive sailing...which meant I needed to book an OV....nothing wrong with that...except I have lived my entire life in So Cal...and "fresh air/light" is a daily part of my life. I'm a bit concerned I'll be a bit "closed in" in an OV...just because...I'm a "fresh air freak"!!! 🙂 :)...do I understand that?  

 

The $400 bid ( $487 after exchange from pound sterling in the UK)  was per cabin not per person.  Hope that helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, combine said:

 

The $400 bid ( $487 after exchange from pound sterling in the UK)  was per cabin not per person.  Hope that helps. 

Thanks, combine, I missed that LuAnn had put $400pp. Yes, you’re quite right, those bids were per cabin, not per person, so bids of $200 pp, or not too much more, have been successful, with the maximum paid being $318pp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks, combine, I missed that LuAnn had put $400pp. Yes, you’re quite right, those bids were per cabin, not per person, so bids of $200 pp, or not too much more, have been successful, with the maximum paid being $318pp. 

 

Thanks everyone...for helping me!!! And making sure I understand!!! :)  I"ll let you know what happens!!!  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2019 at 6:38 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Looking at the spreadsheet $400 seems to be the most common minimum bid whatever the category bid for, other than for the large suites. There are a few ‘outliers’ but they may be due to misunderstanding between me and the person posting.

Successful bids for CC Suites are quite a bit higher than the minimum bids, but this doesn’t seem to be the case for OV to Verandah.

 

Do you think that A would prefer to have a number of empty cc suites rather than accepting a small but above the minimum bid?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dabear said:

 

Do you think that A would prefer to have a number of empty cc suites rather than accepting a small but above the minimum bid?

 

Difficult to say! Looking at the spreadsheet only one minimum bid ($400) from Verandah to CC Suite was successful, others were successful at $617, $640, $700, $720. 

It probably depends on factors such as how many people ask for upgrades from OV to Verandah, how many empty Verandah cabins there are, whether they have anyone on a waiting list for the cruise etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I just found this thread.  We've bid for an upgrade from an OV to Verandah on Azamara Quest sailing September 18.  We submitted our bid a week ago... haven't heard anything back.  How long before one is informed whether or not their bid is accepted?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wrelliott said:

Hi, I just found this thread.  We've bid for an upgrade from an OV to Verandah on Azamara Quest sailing September 18.  We submitted our bid a week ago... haven't heard anything back.  How long before one is informed whether or not their bid is accepted?  Thanks for any info you can provide.

It can be any time up to a day before the cruise. On the spreadsheet bidders that were successful were often notified at about 30 days before, but not always. Unsuccessful bidders were often notified very close to the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received an ‘upgrade successful’ email 🙂

Bid invite recd 18/7

Bid £300pp - weak

Verandah to CC suite

Sail date 4th Oct - 12 nights

LCV - Discoverer 

 

Sue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we just got our upgrade!  Bid the minimum $400.  Can someone tell me how to get to the spreadsheet so I can add this info?  Thanks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wrelliott said:

Well, we just got our upgrade!  Bid the minimum $400.  Can someone tell me how to get to the spreadsheet so I can add this info?  Thanks...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

 

Good luck, we have a 'above minimum bid' but still weak in for October 4 Quest and we're Discoverer Plus (not that that matters any more) and we're still waiting.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wandering Words said:

Just received an ‘upgrade successful’ email 🙂

Bid invite recd 18/7

Bid £300pp - weak

Verandah to CC suite

Sail date 4th Oct - 12 nights

LCV - Discoverer 

 

Sue

Thanks, Sue, I’ve added your information to the spreadsheet. Can you remember what the minimum bid was on your offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wrelliott said:

Well, we just got our upgrade!  Bid the minimum $400.  Can someone tell me how to get to the spreadsheet so I can add this info?  Thanks...

If you post the following information, I’ll add it to the spreadsheet.

Date bid offer received

Date of cruise,

length of cruise

LCV level

Cabin type booked

Cabin type bid for

minimum bid bid made

’strength’ of bid (weak etc)

success or otherwise.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Grandma

 

Can’t work out how to show the comment I’m replying to, we 

bid the minimum amount can’t remember if it was shown in dollars or ££

 

Sue

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wandering Words said:

Hi Grandma

 

Can’t work out how to show the comment I’m replying to, we 

bid the minimum amount can’t remember if it was shown in dollars or ££

 

Sue

 

Thanks Sue, that’s great. I think it’s likely the minimum bid would be shown in £s. I’ve added that in on the spreadsheet.

(By the way, to show a comment you’re replying to, click on ‘Quote’ at the bottom of the comment. That comment will then show up in Reply box and you can type your reply just below their comment).

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just amended the spreadsheet. Initially I converted all bids to US Dollars, whatever currency they were made in. I’ve now added the amount in the actual currency bid as well, where appropriate. If you recognise your bid and think I’ve got anything wrong, just let me know.

Here’s the link to the PDF version https://www.dropbox.com/s/son43omwewk9ujl/Azamara Upgrade Bids.pdf?dl=0

and the link to the Google version 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that all bids are made in USD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AJCM said:

My understanding is that all bids are made in USD.

No in the uK we bid in sterling 💷 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, uktog said:

No in the uK we bid in sterling 💷 

Yes  correct . From my recent experience, I bid in sterling and once successful my credit card was debited  £400 sterling. There was no dollar to sterling exchange transaction involved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, combine said:

Yes  correct . From my recent experience, I bid in sterling and once successful my credit card was debited  £400 sterling. There was no dollar to sterling exchange transaction involved. 

Same here.

Seems like you make the bid in your own currency the same as you buy the cruise in your own currency (unless you use a TA from another country).

Initially I decided to put all bid amounts in dollars for easier comparison, but recently decided it was better to put both the currency in which the bid was made and the dollar conversion. I hope everyone finds this helpful.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Date bid offer received....Checked myself 9/13

Date of cruise,11/21/2020 Journey

length of cruise... 9 night

LCV level  Discoverer

Cabin type booked   Inside      

Cabin type bid for  Oceanview    Verandah

minimum bid bid made none   $200 pp     $1000pp

’strength’ of bid (weak etc) weak

success or otherwise.  Did not bid

Edited by Fatfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Date bid offer received  Checked myself  9/13

Date of cruise,  11/30 Journey

length of cruise    7 nights

LCV level     Discoverer

Cabin type booked  inside

Cabin type bid for   Oceanview    Verandah

minimum bid bid made     $200pp    $500pp

’strength’ of bid (weak etc)  Weak

success or otherwise.   Did not bid

 

Edited by Fatfish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fatfish said:

Date bid offer received  Checked myself  9/13

Date of cruise,  11/30 Journey

length of cruise    7 nights

LCV level     Discoverer

Cabin type booked  inside

Cabin type bid for   Oceanview    Verandah

minimum bid bid made     $200pp    $500pp

’strength’ of bid (weak etc)  Weak

success or otherwise.   Did not bid

 

 

Ditto, did not bid.....although I am UK, booked via USA website hence dollars is the currency!!

Edited by hamrag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...