Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Host Grandma Cruising

Upgrade bid experiences

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, islington said:

Somebody on our recent cruise, two categories lower than us, bid $80 more than we did and were successful for a CC suite; we were unsuccessful.

 

 

Had they applied earlier under under the previous system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, islington said:

Somebody on our recent cruise, two categories lower than us, bid $80 more than we did and were successful for a CC suite; we were unsuccessful.

 It would be great if you could give me details of your bid, so I can add it to the spreadsheet. I’d need date of bid, cruise date & length, your LCV level, cabin booked & cabin bid for, minimum bid, your bid & bid strength.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, nordski said:

Had they applied earlier under under the previous system?

The previous system was no longer in effect by the May 28 Journey cruise, and probably before.  $$$ have replaced application date--and apparently LCV status--as the primary [only?] criterion.

Edited by marinaro44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

The previous system was no longer in effect by the May 28 Journey cruise, and probably before.  $$$ have replaced application date--and apparently LCV status--as the primary [only?] criterion.

 

In Bonnie’s original post on this topic, she stated that for cruises leaving before June 30th and for which the participants had applied for an upgrade under the old programme, then those applications would receive an “augmentation” as a bridge to the new policy.

 

I took that to be a way to recognize the time and effort already taken by those who had applied concerning upgrades prior to that date.

 

In our case we may have benefited from that transition period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nordski said:

 

In Bonnie’s original post on this topic, she stated that for cruises leaving before June 30th and for which the participants had applied for an upgrade under the old programme, then those applications would receive an “augmentation” as a bridge to the new policy.

 

I took that to be a way to recognize the time and effort already taken by those who had applied concerning upgrades prior to that date.

 

In our case we may have benefited from that transition period.

The email that invited me to bid on that May 28 cruise made no mention of an "augmentation."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, nordski said:

 

In Bonnie’s original post on this topic, she stated that for cruises leaving before June 30th and for which the participants had applied for an upgrade under the old programme, then those applications would receive an “augmentation” as a bridge to the new policy.

 

I took that to be a way to recognize the time and effort already taken by those who had applied concerning upgrades prior to that date.

 

In our case we may have benefited from that transition period.

What is past is past but given that weak bids two and three levels below us beat our weak bids on two consecutive cruises and we had previous applications in I doubt that the augmentation existed. 

Its not spoiled our cruises but it did leave a bad taste. 

Edited by uktog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, uktog said:

What is past is past but given that weak bids two and three levels below us beat our weak bids on two consecutive cruises and we had previous applications in I doubt that the augmentation existed. 

Its not spoiled our cruises but it did leave a bad taste. 

 

Appreciate that we will never know for certain.

 

We operated on the best information that we had at that time; namely, Bonnie’s post.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just got the email that we were successful in our bid for an upgrade on our Norway Journey cruise. We bid £250 each, which was about £90 each higher than the minimum - it was categorised as a weak bid. I’ve added the information to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

For information, I got the initial email, not my TA. The email said a confirmation would follow, so I guess that might go to my TA.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats!  Well deserved for all your efforts here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I just got the email that we were successful in our bid for an upgrade on our Norway Journey cruise. We bid £250 each, which was about £90 each higher than the minimum - it was categorised as a weak bid. I’ve added the information to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

 

 

Congratulations.  I hope that goes some way towards your disappointment shall we say in the recent discounts on this cruise.  It looks an amazing cruise by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I just got the email that we were successful in our bid for an upgrade on our Norway Journey cruise. We bid £250 each, which was about £90 each higher than the minimum - it was categorised as a weak bid. I’ve added the information to the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

 

That's great Denise.  So happy for you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you enjoy your stateroom as much as we have.

 

Congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 6:00 AM, nordski said:

 

I have been determined not to share information about the amount bid and its success or failure, but your question is a fair one based upon what I posted.

 

Our weak bid for a Club Continent Suite was accepted. 

 

Despite one minor factor, the existence of a bathtub which challenges our lack of flexibility, we have been extremely happy with the stateroom. This satisfaction has easily justified to us the amount we bid. 

 

Were others on the cruise more deserving based solely upon loyalty level? No question. But, selfishly, this suite has been a factor in making this one of the most enjoyable Azamara cruises we have experienced.

 

We also appreciate that, by defining our parameters, we have some control over the upgrade process. We never had that sense under the old system which we considered even more opaque than the one currently in use. In fact, our only offer under the previous programme became a rather stressful experience.

 

Further to defining those parameters. Next year we celebrate a milestone anniversary. Since it is my wife who especially enjoys the suite, I have a choice to be more aggressive in bidding to attempt to attain a surprise gift that she will really value.

 

The only disadvantage to the suite that I can think of is that the gold sea pass, and some of the perks that go with it, has encouraged me to think I’m rather more special than I am. However, a return home and contact with the kids and grandkids will quickly cure me of that attitude. 😄

 

But I will reiterate that, as I have posted before, the use of algorithms in this new programme should allow more transparency to the process.

Also, as I understand it, solo cruisers have to bid as if there are two people are in the stateroom.

 

That seems to be unfair.

 

 

 

Thank you for sharing the info you feel comfortable with. LuAnn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you bid...and your bid is not accepted...are you allowed to re-bid at a higher amount? LuAnn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bid on May 28 for 7 night July 27 trip on the Pursuit.  We were ocean view and bid for club veranda.  Minimum was $200pp and I think max was $500?  We bid $240pp for a weak bid and was successful today with 48 days to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darlu said:

Bid on May 28 for 7 night July 27 trip on the Pursuit.  We were ocean view and bid for club veranda.  Minimum was $200pp and I think max was $500?  We bid $240pp for a weak bid and was successful today with 48 days to go.

Thanks very much for posting darlu, , I’ve added your information to the spreadsheet.   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pEoojQ5-EPmD4cI3gw1dVcYfYTXfZePdDXxU09l0H3M

Can you tell me what LCV level you are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just received a successful upgrade notice for our July 2 Alaska cruise on Quest (22 days out).

 

Bid $600 per person ($1200 total) for verandah to club continent suite.  Minimum bid was $200 and my bid was considered weak.  Made the upgrade request on March 12 and we are Adventurer LCV level (this will be our 2nd Azamara cruise).

 

Looking forward to our suite and the included amenities.  Previous cruise we were outside cabin and regretted not getting a balcony.

Edited by dhall711

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dhall711 said:

Just received a successful upgrade notice for our July 2 Alaska cruise on Quest (22 days out).

 

Bid $600 per person ($1200 total) for verandah to club continent suite.  Minimum bid was $200 and my bid was considered weak.  Made the upgrade request on March 12 and we are Adventurer LCV level (this will be our 2nd Azamara cruise).

 

Looking forward to our suite and the included amenities.  Previous cruise we were outside cabin and regretted not getting a balcony.

Thanks for posting dhall711. I’ve added the information to the spreadsheet. Enjoy your Suite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dhall711 said:

Just received a successful upgrade notice for our July 2 Alaska cruise on Quest (22 days out).

 

Bid $600 per person ($1200 total) for verandah to club continent suite.  Minimum bid was $200 and my bid was considered weak.  Made the upgrade request on March 12 and we are Adventurer LCV level (this will be our 2nd Azamara cruise).

 

Looking forward to our suite and the included amenities.  Previous cruise we were outside cabin and regretted not getting a balcony.

 

Interesting, we bid as well and have not heard back either way. Our bid was significantly lower, perhaps they are waiting for last minute, more $$ bids!

Congrats on your upgrade!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

 

Interesting, we bid as well and have not heard back either way. Our bid was significantly lower, perhaps they are waiting for last minute, more $$ bids!

Congrats on your upgrade!

I debated on how much to bid factoring in the probability of limited # of suites left and upgrade competition from higher LCV status.  I probably overpaid by a little but am betting that anything less than $500/per person will not be successful given the ship is getting close to selling out.

 

I've been monitoring the remaining cabins for the past few weeks and see a pretty constant number of around 10 or so suites not sold.  Prices on the two July cruises have been swinging wildly the past couple of months.  Noticed today that only suites are available now so that might have been why they finally processed the upgrade to free up some verandas and outside cabins to sell.

 

Somebody upthread mentioned their upgrade seemed stuck until they went in and raised it up a bit.  The minute they did that the upgrade cleared.  You might consider ponying up just a little bit more and see what happens.

 

All in all, we're getting a suite for several thousand less than if we had booked it directly plus the additional suite amenities so I still consider it a decent deal.  However, it doesn't alter my opinion that this year's Alaska cruises are still wildly overpriced compared to other cruise lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July 17th will be our first Azamara cruise, we have done several with Celebrity. I have never received an e mail invitation to bid for an upgrade. I have regularly gone on the website and tried to apply but get the pop up that says you are not eligible to apply. This is despite me having paid the normal not , deeply discounted fare.

 

Yesterday I phoned Azamara to query this and spoke to a lady in the U.S. who said it was because our lcv number was missing from our info. She said it was now rectified but wait till midnight when the system updates itself. Today I tried again but same problem exists. I do receive e mail from Azamara, so what can be wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tidespring said:

July 17th will be our first Azamara cruise, we have done several with Celebrity. I have never received an e mail invitation to bid for an upgrade. I have regularly gone on the website and tried to apply but get the pop up that says you are not eligible to apply. This is despite me having paid the normal not , deeply discounted fare.

 

Yesterday I phoned Azamara to query this and spoke to a lady in the U.S. who said it was because our lcv number was missing from our info. She said it was now rectified but wait till midnight when the system updates itself. Today I tried again but same problem exists. I do receive e mail from Azamara, so what can be wrong?

If you’re not getting anywhere with this, as you live in the UK (I presume that’s Southport, UK), it might be worth an email to Richard Twynam at RTwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

He’s Azamara’s UK MD and he and his staff are usually very responsive to any problems  that UK cruisers are having.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

If you’re not getting anywhere with this, as you live in the UK (I presume that’s Southport, UK), it might be worth an email to Richard Twynam at RTwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

He’s Azamara’s UK MD and he and his staff are usually very responsive to any problems  that UK cruisers are having.

Hi tidesprings, 

Eligibility to bid on an upgrade is no longer restricted to LCV members. So the explanation you were given seems off to me as well. 

I'll look into it on our end, but if you are in UK, it is a good idea to write to Mr Twynam. Our UK office is a great help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...