Cruise Critic Community
CanadaDude16

Included Drinks ? North Americans, thanks

Hello, 

in September several of are cruising the Meraviglia . I understand in the buffet , coffee, tea , milk and juice in morning is included. 

At dinner I have heard water and coffee are included for North American bookings. Does anyone know ? Thanks very much .

8 hours ago, CanadaDude16 said:

Hello, 

in September several of are cruising the Meraviglia . I understand in the buffet , coffee, tea , milk and juice in morning is included. 

At dinner I have heard water and coffee are included for North American bookings. Does anyone know ? Thanks very much .

This is correct. However, europeans tend not to drink coffee after dinner. Asking for coffee after dinner will likely be met with confusion. 

If you booked through the msccruisesusa website, you will have bottled water included at dinnertime. 

42 minutes ago, UPNYGuy said:

This is correct. However, europeans tend not to drink coffee after dinner. Asking for coffee after dinner will likely be met with confusion. 

If you booked through the msccruisesusa website, you will have bottled water included at dinnertime. 

Thanks very much I booked myself a TA but this a newer line to us , had people just return from Seaside and loved it and I had had a great day touring it too 

There's no 'confusion' around ordering coffee in the MDR after dinner.  From the website (this applies for Ireland/UK):

We all know how much you love your favourite blend of tea or filtered coffee, we won’t travel without it!   

MSC Cruises has taken this so seriously that they will now be offering a complimentary package of tea, water, and filtered coffee to all guests who book a new cruise! This offer is available on ALL new bookings made from 1st May 2018 and will be available to all guests on all our ships.

The hot drinks and water will be offered to guests during lunch and dinner in the main dining room

Up until recently, those from the US/Canada always had water included;  I've read somewhere on here that that may no longer be the case.  You'll need to ask someone who has recently sailed in the Med (NOT in the Caribbean - MSC tends to do things a little differently there), so I recommend you watch for reviews from the region to get a definitive answer.

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

There's no 'confusion' around ordering coffee in the MDR after dinner.  From the website (this applies for Ireland/UK):

We all know how much you love your favourite blend of tea or filtered coffee, we won’t travel without it!   

MSC Cruises has taken this so seriously that they will now be offering a complimentary package of tea, water, and filtered coffee to all guests who book a new cruise! This offer is available on ALL new bookings made from 1st May 2018 and will be available to all guests on all our ships.

The hot drinks and water will be offered to guests during lunch and dinner in the main dining room

Up until recently, those from the US/Canada always had water included;  I've read somewhere on here that that may no longer be the case.  You'll need to ask someone who has recently sailed in the Med (NOT in the Caribbean - MSC tends to do things a little differently there), so I recommend you watch for reviews from the region to get a definitive answer.

I beg to differ. Was just on Meraviglia, and have done multiple cruises with MSC in Europe, as well as in the US. One of the consistent gripes of the US pax is that service is not consistent. On the last 2 cruises, the US pax were wondering why it was an issue (and sometimes inconvenience) to have coffee served with dessert. 

We were on MSC in the Mediterranean in Dec. 2018.   Water was included however it is bottled water and required a charge to the room (with signature) then a deduction from the account, etc.   A bit of a hassle.  No ice.   We were told coffee was not included but could be specially ordered from the bar.   I agree with the poster that it was met with confusion.  When I looked around the dining room I saw not one table with coffee after dinner any of the nights.   So if you insist you may get some but I doubt it is included.

1 hour ago, CCJack said:

We were on MSC in the Mediterranean in Dec. 2018.   Water was included however it is bottled water and required a charge to the room (with signature) then a deduction from the account, etc.   A bit of a hassle.  No ice.   We were told coffee was not included but could be specially ordered from the bar.   I agree with the poster that it was met with confusion.  When I looked around the dining room I saw not one table with coffee after dinner any of the nights.   So if you insist you may get some but I doubt it is included.

We sail MSC frequently in Europe, and in the US. As they are a European line, they focus on the primary clientele (Europeans) when sailing in home territory. When sailing in the Caribbean, they have different service standards to accommodate to American tastes. This is why some US pax like how they operate in the Caribbean, but *only* in the Caribbean. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:40 PM, UPNYGuy said:

Your post got my attention.  As a frequent cruiser (all over the world on 15 cruise lines) and oft European traveler,  was surprised at your comment about Europeans not drinking coffee after dinner.  That has certainly not been our experience in Europe or on the Divina (YC) this past December.  Of course European's idea of a coffee drink can be substantially different then for North Americans.  In Italy we would normally expect to end our meal with an expresso (I prefer a double).  In France it might be espresso or just a good cup of java often prepared in a French Press.   

But there is another factor on cruise ships (not just MSC).  The waiters working in the MDR are under pressure to move the early diners in and out so they can handle the later group.  On for those of us who dine late, the MDR staff cannot "go home" until all the diners are finished and have exited the MDR.  The last thing they want on a mass market cruise ship is for a few (or a few hundred) diners to linger at their table over a cup of java.  In our forty+ years of cruise experience we have found the after dinner coffee experience varies by cruise line.  On MSC my own preference was to finish dinner in Le Muse without any coffee and then head to a bar to enjoy a nice, freshly made, Irish Coffee :).  One thing (out of many) that we loved about the Divina was that there was a decent espresso machine at every bar!  On most American based cruise lines you can only find espresso (or freshly brewed coffee) at a few venues.

Hank

I'm glad I decided to read this thread. At home I never drink coffee after noon, but when cruising I enjoy a cup of coffee with dessert. Good to know that is not the norm on MSC. I'll probably follow Hank's plan and enjoy and Irish Coffee at the bar. 

57 minutes ago, travelingtink said:

I'm glad I decided to read this thread. At home I never drink coffee after noon, but when cruising I enjoy a cup of coffee with dessert. Good to know that is not the norm on MSC. I'll probably follow Hank's plan and enjoy and Irish Coffee at the bar. 

Keep in mind,  all bars on MSC ships have espresso machines.  You can order coffee there after dinner.  I am known to order iced coffee well into the night. 

6 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

Keep in mind,  all bars on MSC ships have espresso machines.  You can order coffee there after dinner.  I am known to order iced coffee well into the night. 

That's good to know. I have to have my iced coffee, but haven't seen it listed on any of the coffee shop menus I've seen. 

1 hour ago, travelingtink said:

That's good to know. I have to have my iced coffee, but haven't seen it listed on any of the coffee shop menus I've seen. 

I was getting iced coffee without an issue at the Edge bar on deck 6. They had the majority of the specialty coffees that were available in the coffee bar on the Fantasia class ships at the Edge Bar.