Antarctica and Polar Ice Cap cruises after Jan 2022?

Ken the cruiser

On 3/24/2019 at 1:32 AM, cflutist said:

We went last December for 15 nights on the Silver Cloud. Yes, it was a cruise of a lifetime and worth the $50k fare.

Rebel_T7i_IMG_1455.jpg

Double post - sorry.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

On 3/24/2019 at 1:32 AM, cflutist said:

We went last December for 15 nights on the Silver Cloud. Yes, it was a cruise of a lifetime and worth the $50k fare.

Rebel_T7i_IMG_1455.jpg

Grossly overpriced.  I did a 21 day cruise to the Falklands and South Georgia and it only cost me about 10K.  Not luxury but you go to Antarctica and/or S. Georgia for the experience and not for the ship.  BTW - in my opinion and I have been to Antarctica and S. Georgia on separate trips, S. Georgia is a more exciting place than Antarctica.  You should try it some day.  Not as many icebergs but imagine being on a beach w 300,000 nesting pairs of penguins as well as many fur seals and a fair number of elephant seals.  The young elephant seals are so unafraid of people that they come up to you and lie on your legs.  Adult elephant seals weigh 3000 pounds.  You don't want them on your legs.

DON

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Here is a link to my post about the 2022 cruise to Greenland.

https://cruisefever.net/princess-cruises-reveals-new-sailings-in-2022/

Thanks! With regards to the Polar Ice Class restrictions, I guess Princess has found a loophole or two for this northern area as well. I wonder if there will be other cruise lines that follow.

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! With regards to the Polar Ice Class restrictions, I guess Princess has found a loophole or two for this northern area as well. I wonder if there will be other cruise lines that follow.

Here is my cynical self talking.  Did anyone think that Princess is advertising a cruise that they know will not go (they are currently doing that for 2020 and early 2021 regular cruises) in the hope that when they cancel the cruise, they will convert the reservations to other cruises.  Cruise companies are so honest that they would never do a sneaky thing like that - or would they.

DON

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foodsvcmgr said:

This is good news, but I wish someone would explain the loophole for this and the Antarctic drive bys as we have been told for the last several years that these trips would unequivocally be prohibited by new regulations.

There was an interesting discussion on this topic on a Seabourn thread that might interest you - 

Thanks Ken - while not 100% definitive those are at least plausible explanations of the loophole the cruise lines may be using.

Hopefully there are no ice related incidents with any large cruise ships that will close off drive bys entirely as they are a shorter and much less costly option of seeing these destinations than an expedition ship.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hopefully Princess is reading these postings and will respond what is their itinerary for the Antarctica cruise.  We are booked on the January 2022 cruise which includes four days of Antarctica scenic cruising and the Falkland Island.  Princess also has these cruises for 2023 as well.   But the Polar Code does not allow big ships below 60 degree south latitude and the Falkland Island government says no ships over couple hundred PAX's.  We were planning on seeing the ice and bergs of Antarctica and the Falkland Island penguins, a trip of a lifetime. 60 degree south is Elephant Island and it's 130 miles above the closest tip of Antarctica.  Way too far to be a decent drive by.  December 2021 is not do-able for us.