Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
RMLincoln

No more production shows?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I am currently in the Rotterdam and the shows are as follows (if I remember correctly):

 

First Night - presentation regarding the ports

 

Second Night - Comedian / Impressionist

 

Third Night - Post Modern Jukebox

 

Fourth Night - Comedic Magician

 

Fifth Night - Different show by Post Modern Jukebox

 

Sixth Night - Combination of the Comedian and Magician from earlier in the cruise

 

Last Night - Can’t recall, possibly a BBC Movie

I'm not familiar with Post Modern Jukebox but the rest sounds awful. BBC Movie would be fine but I can watch those at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I am currently in the Rotterdam and the shows are as follows (if I remember correctly):

 

First Night - presentation regarding the ports

 

Second Night - Comedian / Impressionist

 

Third Night - Post Modern Jukebox

 

Fourth Night - Comedic Magician

 

Fifth Night - Different show by Post Modern Jukebox

 

Sixth Night - Combination of the Comedian and Magician from earlier in the cruise

 

Last Night - Can’t recall, possibly a BBC Movie

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I am currently in the Rotterdam and the shows are as follows (if I remember correctly):

 

First Night - presentation regarding the ports

 

Second Night - Comedian / Impressionist

 

Third Night - Post Modern Jukebox

 

Fourth Night - Comedic Magician

 

Fifth Night - Different show by Post Modern Jukebox

 

Sixth Night - Combination of the Comedian and Magician from earlier in the cruise

 

Last Night - Can’t recall, possibly a BBC Movie

Lame.

 

So two nights there is no entertainment (port talk and a movie).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Lame.

 

So two nights there is no entertainment (port talk and a movie).

 

 

Yes. If entertainment is a must, HAL (at least the Rotterdam) is not the best option. Luckily I knew not to expect much based on a previous cruise on the Rotterdam. Several have left early from each of the shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RoyalVisit said:

I'm not familiar with Post Modern Jukebox but the rest sounds awful. BBC Movie would be fine but I can watch those at home.

Post Modern Juukebox is where newer songs are reimagined in an older style - Shake It Off in a 1940s style, others in a do-wop 50s style, etc. It seems to be very popular worldwide. I prefer to hear the songs in the original style and it appeared many at the show seemed more confused than entertained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Post Modern Juukebox is where newer songs are reimagined in an older style - Shake It Off in a 1940s style, others in a do-wop 50s style, etc. It seems to be very popular worldwide. I prefer to hear the songs in the original style and it appeared many at the show seemed more confused than entertained.

Our family of 4 did not like the Jukebox show at all in February on the Koningsdam.  We saw many, many people walking out and I’ve never seen that before.  We felt like it but stuck it out to the end in case our opinion changed but it didn’t.  I hope it improves as HAL really is lacking in their entertainment.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Postmodern Jukebox is such an odd concept for a show.  Their popularity was gained online because of the novelty of hearing a particular song done in an older style.  However, they were putting out one song a week, so you had a full seven days to wait for the next one.  Putting together a whole evening dedicated to that seems like a tough sell.  And I like them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Post Modern Juukebox is where newer songs are reimagined in an older style - Shake It Off in a 1940s style, others in a do-wop 50s style, etc. It seems to be very popular worldwide. I prefer to hear the songs in the original style and it appeared many at the show seemed more confused than entertained.

Thank you for the explanation! I've read the other comments after this and I looked the style up on Youtube - I'll pass. 

 

38 days until our cruise and I suspect I'll spend more time looking at the scenery than I will enjoying the entertainment but as the ship will have Lincoln Center and BB Kings, I'll be happy.  As we are both in our early 40s, I cannot help wonder how the entertainment changes on HAL will affect their chances at attracting more younger clientele.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RoyalVisit said:

As we are both in our early 40s, I cannot help wonder how the entertainment changes on HAL will affect their chances at attracting more younger clientele.

 

I can't say I can speak for all of my fellow young adults, but for me, I like seeing the Broadway style shows. However, I think the biggest barrier to enjoyment for me and other younger cruisers is when they perform too many songs from older artists or use too many pop culture references from the past. For example, a tribute to the music of the 70s or to the music of Elvis flies right over my head because besides the really big hits, I don't know any of those songs. Even if the performers are talented, it's hard for me to connect with the music, particularly if they're relying on nostalgia alone to sell the performance. Though, I can't say that I wouldn't go crazy for a tribute to the divas of the 2000s or boybands of the 1990s! 

 

I think that was part of the rationale behind choosing a program like Postmodern Jukebox. By picking more modern songs, perhaps younger and older audiences alike can connect to the show. It just sounds like it isn't being executed well. I like watching Postmodern Jukebox videos myself because I generally know all the songs they're singing and it's cool to hear them being done differently, but so much of it is dependent on how the show is done, what songs they pick, and the talent of the performers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, simplyrubies said:

 

I can't say I can speak for all of my fellow young adults, but for me, I like seeing the Broadway style shows. However, I think the biggest barrier to enjoyment for me and other younger cruisers is when they perform too many songs from older artists or use too many pop culture references from the past. For example, a tribute to the music of the 70s or to the music of Elvis flies right over my head because besides the really big hits, I don't know any of those songs. Even if the performers are talented, it's hard for me to connect with the music, particularly if they're relying on nostalgia alone to sell the performance. Though, I can't say that I wouldn't go crazy for a tribute to the divas of the 2000s or boybands of the 1990s! 

 

I think that was part of the rationale behind choosing a program like Postmodern Jukebox. By picking more modern songs, perhaps younger and older audiences alike can connect to the show. It just sounds like it isn't being executed well. I like watching Postmodern Jukebox videos myself because I generally know all the songs they're singing and it's cool to hear them being done differently, but so much of it is dependent on how the show is done, what songs they pick, and the talent of the performers.

I find your thoughts interesting as we used to wonder the same thing as recently as Jul 2017 while on a HAL 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam and then in Jan 2018 while on a HAL 21 day Antarctica cruise. The only difference is we're in our mid 60s and have grown very tired of watching the production shows with music from the Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Welk eras. You see, we were 12 when the Beatles came on the scene and the hippy generation and hard rock n roll was going strong when we graduated high school. 

 

Now it sounds like HAL has decided to bypass my generation and move on to those born in the 70s while also offering the Lincoln Stage for the more senior crowd. But that's cool. We've moved on and found some cruise lines (see below) that definitely hit the mark when it cones to evening production shows that target my generation, at least for now. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 2:28 PM, JT1962 said:

I am currently in the Rotterdam and the shows are as follows (if I remember correctly):

 

First Night - presentation regarding the ports

 

Second Night - Comedian / Impressionist

 

Third Night - Post Modern Jukebox

 

Fourth Night - Comedic Magician

 

Fifth Night - Different show by Post Modern Jukebox

 

Sixth Night - Combination of the Comedian and Magician from earlier in the cruise

 

Last Night - Can’t recall, possibly a BBC Movie

That's the same lineup we had in August.   I sure hope it gets refreshed before next August when I'm back on her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

 Postmodern Jukebox is such an odd concept for a show.  Their popularity was gained online because of the novelty of hearing a particular song done in an older style.  However, they were putting out one song a week, so you had a full seven days to wait for the next one.  Putting together a whole evening dedicated to that seems like a tough sell.  And I like them!

 

I am a big fan of Post Modern Jukebox and have been following them for years. However, having them on HAL (or any mainstream cruise line) is a big mistake as this is not the proper audience that would appreciate their talent. This is a misjudgment on the executives responsible for overseeing entertainment. They were looking at $$ and not taking into account what works for passengers.

Edited by cheezenip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Postmodern Jukebox is absolutely fabulous in what they do.

unfortunately, the North American audience seems less open to this retro style than Europe, where this is indeed extremely popular.

maybe too “artsy”for  many Americans and not enough glam?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Despegue said:

Postmodern Jukebox is absolutely fabulous in what they do.

unfortunately, the North American audience seems less open to this retro style than Europe, where this is indeed extremely popular.

maybe too “artsy”for  many Americans and not enough glam?

 

It's always good to see other people acknowledge their talent (and I do mean TALENT). I would respectfully disagree that North American audiences don't appreciate them. Their concerts usually sell out and they do have a big fanbase here. However, it is still a niche market (despite the popularity). HAL is not the right demographic. Personally, I don't think the mainstream cruise line is the right place; however, if you were to "force" me to pick a cruise line it would be Celebrity or Norwegian that could appreciate the artistry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I received this information in an email from Holland America yesterday. It is about my 34 day cruise over Christmas and New Year. Interesting that they are sending this out now as it is just under 7 months until I cruise.

 

 

Your EXC In-Depth Voyage is different from a typical Holland America Line cruise:

  • Our port-to-table programming, featuring local chefs, will replace America’s Test Kitchen
  • Club HAL will not be available, due to the length of your voyage and few children sailing with us
  • We will continue to have live music in the Ocean Bar, our piano bar entertainer in Mix, and Adagio Strings in the Explorations Lounge.
  • We will not be offering our traditional evening entertainment in The Mainstage in order to accommodate our expanded In-Depth enrichment programming, including EXC Talks, guest experts, local entertainers, local dance and musical troupes, etc.

In short, your EXC In-Depth Voyage will be all about you, the things you love and an authentic, immersive experience in each destination you visit.

It won’t be long before we embark on our adventure. To learn more about EXC In-Depth Voyages and to reserve your shore excursions or onboard activities (spa appointments, dining reservations etc.), please visit our website.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

The Captain, Staff & Crew
Maasdam

Edited by TTFromSommersTown
Bold and Underline was added by me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TTFromSommersTown said:

I received this information in an email from Holland America yesterday. It is about my 34 day cruise over Christmas and New Year. Interesting that they are sending this out now as it is just under 7 months until I cruise.

 

 

Your EXC In-Depth Voyage is different from a typical Holland America Line cruise:

  • Our port-to-table programming, featuring local chefs, will replace America’s Test Kitchen
  • Club HAL will not be available, due to the length of your voyage and few children sailing with us
  • We will continue to have live music in the Ocean Bar, our piano bar entertainer in Mix, and Adagio Strings in the Explorations Lounge.
  • We will not be offering our traditional evening entertainment in The Mainstage in order to accommodate our expanded In-Depth enrichment programming, including EXC Talks, guest experts, local entertainers, local dance and musical troupes, etc.

In short, your EXC In-Depth Voyage will be all about you, the things you love and an authentic, immersive experience in each destination you visit.

It won’t be long before we embark on our adventure. To learn more about EXC In-Depth Voyages and to reserve your shore excursions or onboard activities (spa appointments, dining reservations etc.), please visit our website.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

The Captain, Staff & Crew
Maasdam

From way in the beginning, when HAL started the information about the new Maasdam EXC In-Depth Voyage concept, they have clearly stated in all communications that as far as Maasdam goes, no traditional mainstage entertainment would be present on Maasdam during the EXC In-Depth Voyages. They have started sailing in September last year and apparently they found out that although having communicated this, it is not widely known.

We have sailed Maasdam in this new concept last December and were well aware of the new implications, but did not receive the information, but we did just receive the same information for our upcoming May Maasdam cruise. I think they are just looking to provide the information to those who are not yet aware of the EXC In-Depth Voyage concept and want to avoid people being disappointed or surprised.

So the EXC In-Depth Voyage concept has nothing to do with the discussion in this thread, regarding the presence of productions shows in general on the HAL fleet.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure when you were appointed Moderator of this Forum but your last paragraph was unnecessary as you should have the decency not to be so rude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TTFromSommersTown said:

I am not sure when you were appointed Moderator of this Forum but your last paragraph was unnecessary as you should have the decency not to be so rude.

This was in no way intended as moderated, nor rude, if this was in any way conceived like this, my appologies, maybe because this is not my native language, if it came out in a way you felt was so, but not intended! I was merely indicating that situation on Maasdam is different from that indicated as subject in this thread.

Edited by Alphen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I find your thoughts interesting as we used to wonder the same thing as recently as Jul 2017 while on a HAL 14 day Alaska cruise on the Amsterdam and then in Jan 2018 while on a HAL 21 day Antarctica cruise. The only difference is we're in our mid 60s and have grown very tired of watching the production shows with music from the Frank Sinatra and Lawrence Welk eras. You see, we were 12 when the Beatles came on the scene and the hippy generation and hard rock n roll was going strong when we graduated high school. 

 

Now it sounds like HAL has decided to bypass my generation and move on to those born in the 70s while also offering the Lincoln Stage for the more senior crowd. But that's cool. We've moved on and found some cruise lines (see below) that definitely hit the mark when it cones to evening production shows that target my generation, at least for now. 

 

Classical music is for everyone!!!! You don't have to be old enough for Medicare to enjoy these talented musicians and their programs! 

 

 

 

9 hours ago, Despegue said:

Postmodern Jukebox is absolutely fabulous in what they do.

unfortunately, the North American audience seems less open to this retro style than Europe, where this is indeed extremely popular.

maybe too “artsy”for  many Americans and not enough glam?

 

 

 

 

From what I've seen and heard of their work, they're the closest thing to jazz that HAL has offered in years. And, like classical music, a lot of people don't "get" it.

 

And once again, HAL is trying to "import" a known name (BB King, Rolling Stone) rather than develop something of their own.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no complaints about your pointing out that the Maasdam was different, it was the last point that annoyed me. I accept your apology.

 

I will say that apart from my first cruise, I rarely see any of the shows except the crew one, I prefer listen to Piano player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Alphen said:

I was merely indicating that situation on Maasdam is different from that indicated as subject in this thread

 

I believe most would struggle to understand how your original statement was in any way rude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

Classical music is for everyone!!!! You don't have to be old enough for Medicare to enjoy these talented musicians and their programs! 

 

From what I've seen and heard of their work, they're the closest thing to jazz that HAL has offered in years. And, like classical music, a lot of people don't "get" it.

 

And once again, HAL is trying to "import" a known name (BB King, Rolling Stone) rather than develop something of their own.

No, it's not for everyone and that's kind of the point in my posting. We finally made it to 65 and HAL is still playing the Frank Sinatra/Lawrence Welk era "style" of music, especially if the Postmodern Jukebox clip you referenced is any indication of the type of music they are offering as a replacement to their production shows. They've just decided to bypass my generation's style of music altogether and move on to whatever the Postmodern Jukebox style is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No, it's not for everyone and that's kind of the point in my posting. We finally made it to 65 and HAL is still playing the Frank Sinatra/Lawrence Welk era "style" of music, especially if the Postmodern Jukebox clip you referenced is any indication of the type of music they are offering as a replacement to their production shows. They've just decided to bypass my generation's style of music altogether and move on to whatever the Postmodern Jukebox style is. 

 

Sorry, I should have said that classical music is for ANYONE, of ANY age. Have you tried the Lincoln Center group? They also play some lighter, more modern music for those who don't care for music from guys who have been dead for centuries. How anyone cannot be impressed by their version of the theme from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" mystifies me. 

 

I didn't post the Postmodern clip, so I'm not sure I've seen that one. The point of the Postmodern Jukebox is looking at a song in a different way. It's very creative, but perhaps it requires more knowledge of music (structure and genres) to appreciate it. If you don't like it, OK. But they definitely aren't playing "Best of Frank" and it certainly doesn't sound like Lawrence Welk. 

 

I grew up with Beatles music and of course I like that era of music. But I've seen enough "tribute" shows to know that I'd rather see something new than hear groups do the same old songs in the same old way. Might as well load up my phone with the real thing and listen to that.

 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The point of the Postmodern Jukebox is looking at a song in a different way. It's very creative, but perhaps it requires more knowledge of music (structure and genres) to appreciate it.

 

Give this person a free a subscription to medici.tv !! 😊

Edited by cheezenip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HAL has always been a bit "different" when it comes to entertainment.  Even their BB King shows seldom have any BB King music.  Their production show had gravitated to Karoke shows (all music and some vocal background pre recorded).  This is also a line that attracts many passengers who are in bed by 10 and who consider Glenn Miller a contemporary :).  For a few years we suffered the HAL Cats who often reminded me of the recorded music they played in our local roller rink.

 

Now they suddenly eliminate production shows in favor of the unknown.  They increase "dark nights" which we have never experienced on any other cruise line.  They show a documentary movies in the main theater and call it entertainment (it is simply a documentary movies you can play at home).

 

We think the line has lost its way and trying to find something new....but are failing.  Paying customers should not be used as Guiana Pigs.  The EXC cruises on the Maasdam are experimental but were fully disclosed.  But these latest changes on the other ships are different and there should have been prior notice.  We suspect that some would not have booked if they realized what was happening with entertainment.  And these changes are unlikely to attract a new generation of HAL cruisers.   Yesterday we booked a 2020 MSC cruise which would have likely been a 21 day Koningsdam booking except for all these recent unannounced changes.  Given what I am seeing now, it is anyone's guess what HAL will be doing in 2020.  We did not want to play the guessing game!  We will soon have to decide whether to keep our future 30 day Westy booking or change it to a Princess cruise.   To be blunt, we are losing our trust in HAL.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...