No more Antigua for Seabourn?

Joolsverne

Does anyone know why Carnival is cancelling all Seabourn calls to Antigua later this year?  I happened to see it online in some of the Caribbean papers as well as Cruisehive (sorry, I wasn't able to copy a link).  I gather that Holland America are set to follow suit.  Its disappointing for us as we love visiting Antigua.

On the SB website I can see several Seabourn cruises that still show Antigua as a port call. Do you know exactly when this is supposed to be happening? I can't stand the new SB website so I don't have the patience to look much beyond the end of March 2020 . 

If SB has cancelled it, perhaps someone who is booked on one of the cruises can tell us what (if any) alternative is offered. 

I agree about the Seabourn website.  I wish they would spend a bit of money and get a new one, its impossible.

However, back to Antigua - it seems to have only just happened in the last few days.  Sorry I am not smart enough to copy links etc,  however try googling 'Carnival cancels Antigua'  and it should come up.  Cruise Mavens and Cruise Hive among others are also carrying it.  The Antiguan newspaper 'Nation News' dated March 12 carries the story 'Carnival Cruiselines cancels stops to Antigua'.  I think I am right in saying that Carnival Corp own Seabourn?  Seabourn Odyssey is on the list of cancelled cruises on the Cruisehive.com site I'm afraid.  It looks as though Windstar may also have cancelled.

At this stage its not at all clear what is going on - or why - but something is definitely up.  Its a shame because its one of the most interesting of the Caribbean ports.

7 hours ago, Mr. Manhattan said:

Hi.  I'm on the Odyssey beginning March 30, and Antigua is still listed as a port of call, and I haven't been advised otherwise.

I believe the cancellations kick in from November so March should be ok.

8 hours ago, Joolsverne said:

I agree about the Seabourn website.  I wish they would spend a bit of money and get a new one, its impossible.

They just did 'upgrade' it. However it's now less usable than it was before. Possibly it works well on exactly one version of Internet Explorer on one specific version of Windows with no tracker blockers or ad filters enabled, whatever the developer used,  but for any other browser on any other platform it just sort of doesn't really work. 

2 hours ago, rols said:

They just did 'upgrade' it. However it's now less usable than it was before. Possibly it works well on exactly one version of Internet Explorer on one specific version of Windows with no tracker blockers or ad filters enabled, whatever the developer used,  but for any other browser on any other platform it just sort of doesn't really work. 

Yes, I don’t understand why a premium line like Seabourn doesn’t have a website to match!

https://news784.com/caribbean/more-cruise-lines-have-cancelled-calls-to-antigua/

I suspect the real reason for the switch is behind the scenes any of us will see.

It makes little sense for officials of an island that relies on tourism for a huge part of its revenue to malign cruise ships, unless the Global Port Holdings deal will somehow be better for them.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:06 AM, Catlover54 said:

https://news784.com/caribbean/more-cruise-lines-have-cancelled-calls-to-antigua/

I suspect the real reason for the switch is behind the scenes any of us will see.

It makes little sense for officials of an island that relies on tourism for a huge part of its revenue to malign cruise ships, unless the Global Port Holdings deal will somehow be better for them.

We are currently on the Odyssey in Antigua, and have had a great private tour today. One of the many conversations we had with our guide related the the ‘deal’ the Antigua Government has made with the Global Port Holdings, he confirmed that it is not at all popular with Antiguans and his personal view is that someone somewhere must be getting a back hander as there seemed to be no benefit to the general populace.  Interesting times when you consider that Antigua’s economy is almost exclusively based on tourism.  Hopefully common sense will prevail.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2019 at 7:06 AM, Catlover54 said:

I agree,  let us hope that common sense kicks in eventually.  We always enjoy a visit to Antigua, Nelson's Dockyard is a 'must see' and the view from the National Park is beautiful.

• Like 1

I am not so sure the island (which is currently building an additional cruise ship pier) is maligning the  cruise industry.  It sounds like the "behind the scene" issue is a spat between CCL (corporate) and the island authorities.  This kind of thing generally involves money and perhaps who has rights to operate the port.  It is interesting that whatever has happened has not impacted other cruise corporations (i.e. RCI and MSC).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We just put a November sailing on hold for Odyssey that still shows an Antigua stop on 11/28.  I am curious whether they are actually making these port changes or just rattling cages a bit to gain traction with the port authority.

33 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

We just put a November sailing on hold for Odyssey that still shows an Antigua stop on 11/28.  I am curious whether they are actually making these port changes or just rattling cages a bit to gain traction with the port authority.

I’m curious too.  We’ve just booked this and are wondering whether to arrange a private tour yet.  Itinerary still shows St. John’s, as you’ve said jenidallas.  

23 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

I’m curious too.  We’ve just booked this and are wondering whether to arrange a private tour yet.  Itinerary still shows St. John’s, as you’ve said jenidallas.  

I figure we'll hold out a while and see what happens but as its over US Thanksgiving weekend, I also don't want to hold off too long as Antigua is one of the few places where we actually have something we want to do while there!

• 3 months later...

The Odyssey holiday cruise we are booked on had Antigua (English Harbor) scheduled as a stop on Dec 24th.   It has disappeared from the itinerary in the last few days with no notification from Seabourn (or my travel agent) regarding a different port/sea day.   Dec 24th isn't even listed on the itinerary any more (although it is still showing on the map).  Cruisemapper does not show it either.

Does anybody know if they are likely to add a different port or is it typical to replace with (another) sea day?  

Edited by labates629
error

This article makes it sound like port costs are moving beyond what Carnival Cruise Line thinks is cost effective.  An oblique way to put that is that the local government is not supporting cruising.   Evidently, the pier is being improved to cater to really large ships 

https://www.cruisehive.com/more-cruise-lines-stop-sending-ships-to-antigua/30531

On 7/23/2019 at 3:27 PM, raphael360 said:

We got this notice from SB on July 3rd: 

Due to operational reasons, the Seabourn Odyssey call to St. John's (Antigua) on 12/24/19 has been replaced with a call to Falmouth (Antigua).

Falmouth Harbour Antigua is a MUCH better location for SB to dock (likely tender) in Antigua. It is a big yachting harbour with many super yachts etc. It is also right next to English Harbour which (IMO) is a far more interesting place than the capital St John's, which gets very busy if many larger ships are in port at the same time.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:06 AM, labates629 said:

The Odyssey holiday cruise we are booked on had Antigua (English Harbor) scheduled as a stop on Dec 24th.   It has disappeared from the itinerary in the last few days with no notification from Seabourn (or my travel agent) regarding a different port/sea day.   Dec 24th isn't even listed on the itinerary any more (although it is still showing on the map).  Cruisemapper does not show it either.

Does anybody know if they are likely to add a different port or is it typical to replace with (another) sea day?  

I just checked the "Already Booked" section on SB's website, and the itinerary says we're scheduled for Falmouth (English Harbour) on December 24.  Is there different info elsewhere on SB's website?

29 minutes ago, DC Traveler244 said:

I just checked the "Already Booked" section on SB's website, and the itinerary says we're scheduled for Falmouth (English Harbour) on December 24.  Is there different info elsewhere on SB's website?

I just answered my own question:  the itinerary under "Already Booked" conflicts with the itinerary shown under the "Find a Cruise" section of the SB website:  the former indicates a stop at Falmouth Antigua on 12/24;  the later indicates that 12/24 is a sea day.  

2 hours ago, DC Traveler244 said:

I just answered my own question:  the itinerary under "Already Booked" conflicts with the itinerary shown under the "Find a Cruise" section of the SB website:  the former indicates a stop at Falmouth Antigua on 12/24;  the later indicates that 12/24 is a sea day.  

Exactly!  Plus cruisemapper.com doesn't show Odyssey stopping there (that could be incomplete of course).  I'm hoping it's just a website glitch as I would think Seabourn would notify booked passengers of an itinerary change, especially withdrawal of a port.  Unless they are figuring out a different port.