Cruise Critic Community
scottraveller

Kids entertainment on explorer of the seas

Wife and I taking two of our grandkids on explorer next year which they’re looking forward to. They’ve never been on a cruise before. They keep asking me (they are 8 and 6) about what amenities and entertainment there is on board.  I must confess that whilst the wife and I are diamond plus and cruise a fair bit I don’t don’t have a clue what the offers are on board. Never really paid any attention to what’s on cruise  compass daily or what stuff they can do. Any advice would be really helpful.

We just disembarked from Explorer today. My son is 5, about to turn 6 and it was sometimes difficult to pass the time. 

If the kids are strong/independent swimmers then they could spend a lot of time at the pools but they are too deep for kids of that age to be able to stand up in the water so if they aren’t swimmers, get the float jackets provided and stay in the water with them or in the spa. 

There is the kids club Adventure Ocean and it did look slightly more entertaining for the 6-8 age bracket than for the younger kids. There is also an arcade but it will cost you quite a bit to spend much time there. 

Mini golf and the rock climbing will also be good if it’s not too windy. There is a basket ball court but it is sometimes used for aerobics/dance classes. Ice skating was fun for a half hour and watching the ice show. 

You should be fine as long as you don’t have too many sea days in a row and if they end up enjoying the kids club. 

Took my kids on Voyager/Explorer 20yrs ago, 10, 6, and 3. They had great time in Adventure Ocean and there's even more to do now for kids

My 7 year son has been in kids club on sea days for the last 2 cruises. He loves the activities and hanging out with other kids. In fact he gets mad if we pick him up too early. Sometimes they even have dinner in kids club and he wants to go which allows hubby and me to have an adult dinner.