Europe Cruise

susan1957

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hank, not sure when the last time you were in Oia in November was, but I have been to both Santorini and Mykonos twice in late November and I would say 85-90% of places are still open. I think it may be due to the shift in the cruise season (skewing later), but there has been no shortage of shops and tavernas open.

It has been about 8 years for a late fall visit.  But 3 years ago we were in Santorini in early April and found it difficult to even find a decent place for lunch in Oia.  We noticed that quite a few of the restaurants were actually doing some pre-season maintenance and talked to one owner who told us we were about 10 days too early :).  When it comes to Capri (usually accessed by ferry from the mainland) the ferries actually run a reduced off-season schedule which can cause some problems for cruisers on a tight schedule.  We actually have asked (on various islands) about "the season" and received differing responses.  Easter seems to be an important date for the opening of some touristy places since it is a big holiday week in Europe.  

I do hear you about the European cruise season being "extended" as more and more ships ply the waters into the winter months.  With MSC adding about 2 new ships a year we assume the season will continue to be "extended" as they look for places to send all those ships (within a few years that one cruise line will have about 29 vessels).  Bottom line is that if vacationers come....the businesses will adapt.   Just imagine.   Some North American cruisers who elect to take very late season or early season cruises might discover, first hand, what the "Mistral" is all about :).

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It has been about 8 years for a late fall visit.  But 3 years ago we were in Santorini in early April and found it difficult to even find a decent place for lunch in Oia.  We noticed that quite a few of the restaurants were actually doing some pre-season maintenance and talked to one owner who told us we were about 10 days too early :).  When it comes to Capri (usually accessed by ferry from the mainland) the ferries actually run a reduced off-season schedule which can cause some problems for cruisers on a tight schedule.  We actually have asked (on various islands) about "the season" and received differing responses.  Easter seems to be an important date for the opening of some touristy places since it is a big holiday week in Europe.  

I do hear you about the European cruise season being "extended" as more and more ships ply the waters into the winter months.  With MSC adding about 2 new ships a year we assume the season will continue to be "extended" as they look for places to send all those ships (within a few years that one cruise line will have about 29 vessels).  Bottom line is that if vacationers come....the businesses will adapt.   Just imagine.   Some North American cruisers who elect to take very late season or early season cruises might discover, first hand, what the "Mistral" is all about :).

Hank

MSC has always had ships in the Med year round. I have done 1 new year cruise, b2b christmas and new years cruise and one cruise in March, all on MSC in the Med.

Going again Early April. 

Lois

• Like 1

On 3/16/2019 at 1:50 PM, evandbob said:

If doing a cruise that includes Venice, check when the monsoon season is - late September, early October. 

You're clearly very experienced travellers evanbob, but are you sure you even have the right continent here? I know that climate warning is making a mess of the weather, but I'm not aware of a monsoon season anywhere in Europe let alone Venice. Better warn those pesky Venetians to get the duck boards out!

Edited by Smurf2017

41 minutes ago, Smurf2017 said:

You're clearly very experienced travellers evanbob, but are you sure you even have the right continent here? I know that climate warning is making a mess of the weather, but I'm not aware of a monsoon season anywhere in Europe let alone Venice. Better warn those pesky Venetians to get the duck boards out!

It might not, technically, be classed as 'monsoon' but Venice is subject to flooding. Acqua alta (high water) starts around October and continues until about January

Image result for st marks square flooded

I've been in Venice during winter months. The side canals get ice in them; so you can not get water taxi;  you have to walk all the way to grand canal out front; which takes about 15 minutes with your luggage.  So visit in the spring when it's warmer

16 hours ago, Slugsta said:

It might not, technically, be classed as 'monsoon' but Venice is subject to flooding. Acqua alta (high water) starts around October and continues until about January

Image result for st marks square flooded

Yup! Been caught in that myself though only ankle deep and that was in the spring. They say it's down to rising water levels and the city is slowly sinking. As you say, technically not a monsoon which, according to the Cambridge dictionary is, "the season of heavy rain during the summer in hot Asian countries."