Distilled water for CPAP Machine

TNCruzer56

I don't know - I use the tap water.  Still haven't died. I feel happy!

I have seen varying reports about it being provided for fee, and others saying you could bring it onboard.  Realistically, bottled water should be perfectly fine if you don't want to use tap. If you don't run your humidifier completely dry, any (minimal) solids should stay in solution, and not precipitate.

• Like 1

You can carry it on with your Cpap, you can order prior to the cruise by calling Special Needs, or order on board by calling room service.  For $3 a gallon, I believe it is worth it not to have to carry a gallon on board.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, TNCruzer56 said:

Doing a search, I saw that some other cruise lines provide you with distilled water.

It is hit and miss with CCL.   I have had them provide a gallon at no cost and other times, I have had to pay a very nominal fee.  Don't take your own...it will be an extra burden to endure.  

If you are using the tap water, it won't be a problem - just set out a cup of it in the morning to let it off-gas the chlorines/chloramines for a few hours before you put it in your reservoir. While it won't kill you, they tend to be fairly unpleasant to breathe in all night 🙂

After you get home, clean out the reservoir with some white vinegar to remove any mineral buildup and you should be fine.

35 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While certainly not an expert, have heard many post here that for a week (or so) using tap water would not be a problem.

I am the experimental group - I have used tap water for 15+ years to no ill effect.

• Like 1

This is what Carnival's website says....

Guests may bring on board distilled water for use with a CPAP machine or nursery water for families with babies. Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once onboard. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039 Monday-Sunday from 8:00am-10:00pm ET. For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

I have cruised at least 6 times with my cpap or vpap, and have used the bathroom tap water every time with absolutely no ill effects. I also once had a sleep disorder physician tell me regular tap water will not effect your cpap, if only used for a week or less. I obviously use distilled for normal use, but have since taken his advice on many occasions over the years, and again with no ill effects to my machine. I still have my original vpap I got in 2006, and it still works perfectly. Since then, I've lost some weight and can get by with a cpap. I also use a backpack to carry on my cpap/vpap...this keeps it with me at all times, and frees up my regular carry on for other items.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also think about this...the ship's "tap water," is distilled water.  They distill it onboard and it becomes the drinking water.  You should be fine.  And like others have said, yes you can bring our own on board, and yes you can purchase it from the ship if you would like.

1 hour ago, midwestman said:

Also think about this...the ship's "tap water," is distilled water.  They distill it onboard and it becomes the drinking water.  You should be fine.  And like others have said, yes you can bring our own on board, and yes you can purchase it from the ship if you would like.

here is link from Carnival.  so not all water is distilled.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1197/~/onboard-water

You can order a gallon jug of distilled in advance for delivery to your room. (You're not the only person on the ship with a CPAP!). Never had a problem with Carnival or Holland America doing that - just go to the "Fun Shops." link.  You *might* need to ask your room steward to bring you an extension cord if you're on an older ship without a sufficiently close outlet.

And yes, I realize the ship distills water from the sea...but it's not the same as "purified steam distilled," which is what you want to keep your machine working better, longer, and to keep you from inhaling bromide and whatever else the ship has to put in it's water system to keep it sanitary. 

$3.75 for 50 fl. oz.

https://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/Y36/water-large-bottle

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MauiWowie57 said:

You can order a gallon jug of distilled in advance for delivery to your room.

$3.75 for 50 fl. oz.

https://www.carnival.com/FunShops/item/Y36/water-large-bottle

That is not the gallon of distilled water. It is $3.45 for a gallon (128 fl. oz.). It can't be ordered in advance online, but can be ordered in advance by calling the Fun Shops at 1-800-522-7648 ext 70039.

• Like 1

I just tried to order a gallon of distilled water from the number listed above and was told you can't do it from this number. There was also no prompt to enter a extention number. I was given this number 800-438-6744 ext 70025. The hours are 9am - 6:30 pm. I will try tomorrow. 

On 3/25/2019 at 11:50 AM, midwestman said:

Depending how it is produced it can be distilled water.  However before it goes through the pipes to your taps, additional minerals etc are "re-added" back to the water that shows up at the taps.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:02 PM, Tyhunt said:

You call room service when you get to your room and it is 3.45 a gallon brought right to the room. 

On 3/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, Davey Wavey said:

That is not the gallon of distilled water. It is $3.45 for a gallon (128 fl. oz.). It can't be ordered in advance online, but can be ordered in advance by calling the Fun Shops at 1-800-522-7648 ext 70039.

With the recent increase in gratuity from 15% to 18%, the $3.45 cost would now be $3.54.