Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
crewzerguy

New RCL ship for Sydney? Radiance now in Brisbane

Recommended Posts

Royal Caribbean International has announced Serenade of the Seas – the younger sister to Radiance of the Seas - will sail from Sydney’s Overseas Passenger Terminal for the first time from October 2020 to April 2021.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received the email and saw it on FB now we just need the itineraries.   Princess and RCCL - both companies saying they are increasing the number of CRUISE SHIPS in our regions.   Great more choices.   Celebrity has already announced Celebrity Edge will also be in our region - but I am not sure the extra cost is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope they do a few overnights,Hobart,Noumea and maybe radiance will do PNG?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rassa said:

Received the email and saw it on FB now we just need the itineraries.   Princess and RCCL - both companies saying they are increasing the number of CRUISE SHIPS in our regions.   Great more choices.   Celebrity has already announced Celebrity Edge will also be in our region - but I am not sure the extra cost is worth it.

The Edge seems very overpriced at the moment. I do hope the prices settle, then I can get onto her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, crewzerguy said:

I thought Seranade may get the slot given its last position for any sale has it in Hawaii, whilst great news that Brisbane has been given Radiance its somewhat a little disappointing Sydney is getting back the same class of ship. The news could be made better if it was a full year round deployment as I believe theres capacity there to compete with Carnival and P&O duting the winter, any way lets see what the official story is and just be greatful we gained another ship (well kind of as we lost Explorer in Sydney)

They know they can base it year round. They won't because it can sail fuller and make more money for them somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The Edge seems very overpriced at the moment. I do hope the prices settle, then I can get onto her.

 

I agree but I think cruise prices tend to go up and not down, except the odd time when a cruise for some reason is not selling well (may-be due to high prices).  I hope you are right and the price settles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DDG 41 said:

They know they can base it year round. They won't because it can sail fuller and make more money for them somewhere else.

Exactly, unfortunately we have to take what we can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DDG 41 said:

They know they can base it year round. They won't because it can sail fuller and make more money for them somewhere else.

 

Agreed, from their perspective, it's all about the business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if it will change the demographics on any ships, I mean until recently if sailing Australia Sydney was your sole choice now more ships based in Mali, Bris, and even ADL, will it change much I wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps, most likely just allowing many more new cruisers into the market at the higher prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So excited to have all these new ships, especially sailing from Brisbane.

Lets hope they give us some exciting new itineraries to go with them all.

A little more Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Norfolk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

So excited to have all these new ships, especially sailing from Brisbane.

Lets hope they give us some exciting new itineraries to go with them all.

A little more Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Norfolk.

Yeah more itineraries would be nice, but bet Mrs G will still opt for Tassie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah more itineraries would be nice, but bet Mrs G will still opt for Tassie.

Gut, would you have to drive up to Brissy? as I recall Mrs Gut cannot fly.

Still from Newy not a bad drive anymore with all the bypasses, boring but quicker haha!

 

We are off for another week in Surfers, seems to be a yearly thing now one of our grandsons is 7yrs and love Movieworld!

Port to Surfers is only about 5 1/2 hours drive for us with all the by passes, you could have a stop over halfway at Coffs😄

Edited by cheznandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah have to drive, so it’d add a week to the holiday, just not up to doing it in a day anymore, probably go New England one way Pacific the other stop a day or two on the way.

 

sounds like fun visiting the Wally Worlds as I call them, had a few great visits to them when the kids were younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

So excited to have all these new ships, especially sailing from Brisbane.

Lets hope they give us some exciting new itineraries to go with them all.

A little more Tahiti, Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Norfolk.

That would be great, Tahiti may be a bit far but the others are doable in a two week cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial reaction to this news is disappointment. I hope Serenade is better than I’ve read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What have you read that makes it so bad? Are the issues to do with the ship or the crew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Radiance is undergoing a refurbishment prior to heading to Brisbane. 

Has anyone heard of similar plans for Serenade before heading to Sydney? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jandex said:

I believe Radiance is undergoing a refurbishment prior to heading to Brisbane. 

Has anyone heard of similar plans for Serenade before heading to Sydney? 

I vaguely remember someone saying radiance,after Alaska it’s going straight to Singapore for a facelift then onto Brisbane.

 

Edited by Chiliburn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I vaguely remember someone saying radiance,after Alaska it’s going straight to Singapore for a facelift then onto Brisbane.

 

Yes, we learned of this (Singapore refurb after Alaska), and, as we love Radiance, and, at that time, had just got off her, we had a vague 'plan' to travel to Singapore & bring her back home to Sydney in Oct 2020. Of course we now know she will be going to Brisvegas instead. New plan required 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes, we learned of this (Singapore refurb after Alaska), and, as we love Radiance, and, at that time, had just got off her, we had a vague 'plan' to travel to Singapore & bring her back home to Sydney in Oct 2020. Of course we now know she will be going to Brisvegas instead. New plan required 🙂

 

It is an easy flight from Brissie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Yes, we learned of this (Singapore refurb after Alaska), and, as we love Radiance, and, at that time, had just got off her, we had a vague 'plan' to travel to Singapore & bring her back home to Sydney in Oct 2020. Of course we now know she will be going to Brisvegas instead. New plan required 🙂

 

Mmm....Mr Walker, a good plan. The Alaska to Singapore would be a good one too!

We are cruising the Splendor Singapore to Sydney later this year to it's new home, and have booked the Carnival Spirit Hawaii to Sydney the following year to its new home Brisbane, but may have to rethink the last one when we see all these new repositioning itineraries.

Edited by cheznandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

Mmm....Mr Walker, a good plan. The Alaska to Singapore would be a good one too!

We are cruising the Splendor Singapore to Sydney later this year to it's new home, and have booked the Carnival Spirit Hawaii to Sydney the following year to its new home Brisbane, but may have to rethink the last one when we see all these new repositioning itineraries.

Somewhere in my alcoholic hase I recall .

 Alaska to Singapore May only have contractors and no passengers 

But I have been wrong before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...