Cruise Critic Community
Poochie71

PNG Cruise - Travel Insurance

Hi

I've booked my parents (in their 70's) on their first cruise to PNG.  I'm currently looking at travel insurance for them.  With some companies I can choose a South Pacific Cruise, do you think PNG would be classed as South Pacific?   

When I travel I use Travel Insurance Direct but of anyone has any suggestions on who to use for a PNG cruise I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tamara

Yes - PNG would be classified as South Pacific. Travel Insurance Direct is good. For the cruise they will be doing, the main things you need to cover are cancellation, medical evacuation and/or medical expenses on board, and (depending on whether they have to fly to embark the ship) loss of luggage.

Do your parents have a credit card that has free travel insurance? This can be a good option at minimal cost, even if they have to get a new credit card. All you have to do is pay either some (with ANZ $250) of the cost on the card to qualify. In the unlikely event that they have to make a claim, there is a $200 excess with ANZ. Many people on this forum rely on this travel insurance. We have used it for many years and only had to claim once. There were no problems whatsoever. If this option interests you, it would be worth checking with the major banks to see which one's terms and conditions suit you. For example, with NAB I believe that ALL of the cost of the trip has to be on the card.

Please make sure they are buying insurance that will cover them, check out the T&Cs and the pre-existing conditions part especially.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:06 AM, Poochie71 said:

Hi

I've booked my parents (in their 70's) on their first cruise to PNG.  I'm currently looking at travel insurance for them.  With some companies I can choose a South Pacific Cruise, do you think PNG would be classed as South Pacific?   

When I travel I use Travel Insurance Direct but of anyone has any suggestions on who to use for a PNG cruise I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tamara

You can check https://www.insuremytrip.com to see lots of policies at once with prices. Just enter ages, PNG as a destination, and trip costs. There is a good comparison for pre-existing conditions and coverages.

You are probably already thinking about the fact that insurance (and innoculations) are different for people staying for a time in a location, example PNG, to what is required for people on a cruise that calls into that country for a few day visits. The big one you need to be covered for on a cruise is medical evacuation. Most people could personally cover the cost of any other losses, but medical evacuation would 'break the bank' (unless they are Queensland residents and the evacuation is to a Queensland port. Then it is a free 'ambulance' trip.)

Don’t guess, if you are unsure phone or enail the company.

Cruising to PNG next week. I took out travel insurance with Insure and go, who covered all our pre existing conditions, including heart disease.The cruise is for 10 days & with Silver cruise cover policy it cost $218. They classified PNG as the South Pacific. With other companies that may not be the case, you will need to double check.We have used Insure and go on a number of occasions & made one claim. No problem with them at all. Found their claim department to be very helpful & efficient.

There are plenty of companies out there. Just go with the one that offers you the best coverage.

Good job getting insurance that can cover pre-existing conditions, many will not cover them anymore including the travel insurance that can come as part of using your credit card.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Good job getting insurance that can cover pre-existing conditions, many will not cover them anymore including the travel insurance that can come as part of using your credit card.

This is true re cover using credit card. ANZ refused to cover my husband in his 70's several years ago. He has had a broken ankle with pins and plate, 40years ago, some spinal fractures 30+ years ago and a hip replacement. None of these impact his daily activities at all and he walks unaided. Tried to discuss this with them but were totally unresponsive. No trouble getting cover with other insurers in the years since.

For many years we have had cover with the ANZ card and would just need to pay an assessment fee for the pre-existing conditions but when they changed underwriters last year to Allianz, the cover we had had previously was no longer available at any cost.

Thanks so much for your responses, I appreciate it.