Princess refuses to honor advertised fare rate!

ShoMeChiefsFan

Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had any issues with getting fare adjustments after final payment date.  I am sailing on May 13, 2019 to the British Isles on the Crown Princess, and the advertised rate dropped to $996 and I had last locked in at $1564. Called customer service and they advised that it was only for new bookings only, when I questioned the customer service staff they also verified that they did not see the new booking only on the website, but could not honor the rate, due to being new booking only fare. I then called the customer relations department and spoke with an agent but she was not helpful, but did acknowledge that the advertised rate was not being advertised as new booking only on the website. She then tried to upsale to a  outside cabin on the plaza deck (5), which i respectfully declined. Then tried to offer me a $175 onboard credit.  I requested to speak to a supervisor and is awaiting to hear back from them.

I am very religious in watching the fare before any of our cruises and have always been adjusted on the fare rates before, this is the first time that this has ever occurred.  

Has this happen to anyone else, or does anyone have any other recommendations or solutions on how to proceed!

europe cruise website.PNG

As you put it.... I had last locked in....

Why exactly should Princess give you anything after final payment date?  Just because the new bookings business isn’t advertised everywhere, it’s pretty clear from the discussions you’re having on the phone that that’s the case.

time to move on I’d say.

• Like 5

I usually sail with Carnival,  and i know on their operations, if the fare drops they will match the advertised rate, and credit the account if need be.  

Its about getting the best deal possible for the cruise. Otherwise why would individuals want to book ahead of time, if they know as the cruise gets closer that rate usually falls,  in the last couple of years the rates actually have not gone down, they have actually increased in fares, prices vs demand.

Generally, any prices after final payment are for new bookings only.

The way Princess refares is that they will cancel your original booking and then rebook at the new rate. Since, due to refund policy, they stand a chance of losing most of your fare if you cancel, they will apply your funds to the new booking.

After final payment, your funds are locked (you cannot get a refund from them if you cancel). Therefore they have no incentive to apply your funds to the new booking. 

It is much like any other purchase. Once you pay for it, it is yours. You cannot go to a car dealership after you buy a car and expect them to refund any differences because they are now having a sale.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KcFanNindy said:

I usually sail with Carnival,  and i know on their operations, if the fare drops they will match the advertised rate, and credit the account if need be.  

Its about getting the best deal possible for the cruise. Otherwise why would individuals want to book ahead of time, if they know as the cruise gets closer that rate usually falls,  in the last couple of years the rates actually have not gone down, they have actually increased in fares, prices vs demand.

They book ahead of time because they pick the cabin they want.

If you want a deal take a chance and wait until after final or closer to the cruise.

Princess is under no obligation to give you the lower fare as you already locked in at the price you paid.

It is the chance you take.

A good TA can sometimes get this done but it is rare.

Princess sells out their cruises and have the marketing down to a science.

I once tried to get my car dealer to give me money back on the car I purchased months earlier when it went on sale and they laughed at me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KcFanNindy said:

Getting the ‘best deal’ is always a matter of opinion.  Sort of like when people ask ‘is it worth it?’.  Lots of factors at play here; price, cabin location, availability of cabin, planning for travel, passports & visas, etc....  For me (and I’m only talking about myself), I book well in advance, keep an eye on prices for potential refares and when final payment date comes don’t bother checking the prices.  I have want I want and made my decisions already.

• Like 2

In their terms, most companies state that they will not honor errors in advertising. I'm pretty sure that this is the case here.

I would take whatever they offer and be thankful....you'll get farther with honey than you will with vinegar.

Edited by CineGraphic

Last month about the exact same happened to me on a NCL cruise.  Offered a fairly priced upgrade or OBC.  I took the goodwill OBC.  I had booked 1 month from sailing and paid in full at a great price and the price still dropped several hundred on several categories.  So it happens no matter what and it isn't personal (either way), so do what you need to do to enjoy the cruise.  And store away your booking experience.  JMHO

46 minutes ago, KcFanNindy said:

Carnival Cruise Lines only does this for certain specific fare classes. Which I'm guessing you (or your TA) know specifically which to book.

This is not a common feature to the other cruise lines that are corporate siblings to Carnival. Nor to most any other mainstream line. All price drops after final payment date are for new bookings only. If you drill down one more screen from the one you took a screenshot of in the opening post it will specify exactly that. 

If a supervisor does return your call, just gladly take whatever goodwill they offer. And enjoy your cruise. 

This is pretty much the norm with all cruise lines with the exception being maybe on Carnival only with their Early Saver rates.

Try asking for an upgrade? Other than that , the cruise is paid off  just go and have a good time. No need to stress yourself out about the price drop as much as you think it's not fair that's the way the cookie crumbles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KcFanNindy said:

She then tried to upsale to a  outside cabin on the plaza deck (5), which i respectfully declined. Then tried to offer me a $175 onboard credit.  I requested to speak to a supervisor and is awaiting to hear back from them.

I agree with everyone above. All bets are off to refare your booking after the final payment date. Too bad you didn't take one of the consolation offers? If you call them back, maybe you still can if you haven't already done so.

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

wonder if the OP has the Princess 'cancel for any reason' insurance ??? may or may not help at this time

Remember the CFAR coverage is administered by Princess directly, not by the insurance underwriter. So cancelling and rebooking the same date would not be considered a "new booking" at all as Princess would be well aware of the circumstances.

(A nice though though--if only it would work...) 

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 1

Are you still within the time frame to cancel this booking and just lose the deposit?  I would forfeit my $100 deposit and just do a new booking.  I would never expect Princess to give me a refund after final payment.  It just doesn't work that way. 

• Like 3

This should be the cancellation schedule for your cruise:

Sailings 6 to 24 days (including World Cruise Segments)
Days prior to Cruise or Land Package Departure Item(s)* Assessed Cancellation Fee
90 days or more None None
57 to 89 days Cruise fare Deposit^ Amount
29 to 56 days All Items 50% of Total Charges
28-15 days All Items 75% of Total Charges
14 days or less All Items 100% of Total Charges
*Items: Cruise, Cruisetour, Cruise Plus Package, pre-purchased gift(s)/special services.

^For those passengers booking a reduced deposit promotion, the initial cancellation fee amount will not exceed the deposit required/paid.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fishywood said:

Remember the CFAR coverage is administered by Princess directly, not by the insurance underwriter. So cancelling and rebooking the same date would not be considered a "new booking" at all as Princess would be well aware of the circumstances.

the one thing I have learned when dealing with Princess customer service is that .... there is NO 'policy' that can't

be overridden or worked around, despite what some posters on these forum will state...and also what you see on

your INTERNET may not be the same as what they see on their INTRANET

12 minutes ago, fishywood said:

not so I have done it.  Now the FCC had to be processed and used for a future cruise so I had to outlay cash.  Also I made the new booking, paid for it, then canceled the old booking.  Used the credit on a cruise 4 months later.

2 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

not so I have done it.  Now the FCC had to be processed and used for a future cruise so I had to outlay cash.  Also I made the new booking, paid for it, then canceled the old booking.  Used the credit on a cruise 4 months later.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

3 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

So for one fleeting moment you were able to have the same names booked in two different cabins for the same voyage number? Quite a hole in the system. Good on you for making it work.

Disagree with the title.  Princess is honoring the posted fare.  The OP can make a new booking at the new fare anytime that they want.

Princess is also honoring the fare that they have booked. Princess is also following their well known practice of allowing one to change to new offerings up until final payment date.

• Like 4

Just now, fishywood said:

So for one fleeting moment you were able to have the same names booked in two different cabins for the same voyage number? Quite a hole in the system. Good on you for making it work.

The customer service rep I was working with was perfectly happy to do the transaction.  The exact sequence they did everything was up to them.  I just asked that they made sure that I would not lose the old booking if they were unable complete the new one.

I do know of others that have canceled claimed the insurance and made new bookings under new terms as well. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, voljeep said:

the one thing I have learned when dealing with Princess customer service is that .... there is NO 'policy' that can't

be overridden or worked around, despite what some posters on these forum will state...and also what you see on

your INTERNET may not be the same as what they see on their INTRANET

Totally true! Answers and service on a booking pre or post final payment are dependent to the rep that you speak to.

OP: where is the cabin that you booked? 

I looked at the pricing and the one you quoted is for forward insides. If your in a better location than forward, the price isn't as far off from what you paid.

I've had exactly one advantageous price drop in 20+ cruises on Princess. It was also after final payment. No TA involved. I called & requested the new price and got OBC.

As others have stated...take the OBC.