Cruise Critic Community
KcFanNindy

Princess refuses to honor advertised fare rate!

Posted (edited)

Fares will continue to drop after "final payment due date" until they fill the ship.  Years ago I grabbed a $399pp Alaskan cruise 2 weeks out from cruise date.  You can wait for these 'final sale' periods on your cruise and then grab and book, but you will pay end up paying more for your airfare.   Best advice: If you have travel flexibility, aren't specific in what kind of room or location in the ship you want,  sign up for those last minute cruise notifications, and book only then.  

Edited by melodyina
added another sentence.

I don’t want to weigh in on whether a change can/should be allowed after fpd but if you invoke the insurance then you won’t get that portion refunded and must then purchase it again with a new booking. If that is not the case, then that could be the biggest loophole of all!

OP should have taken the OBC or Upgrade offers that Princess didn't have to offer at all.

I'd of taken the OBC Princess offered. In reality they don't have to offer anything as you are past final payment so that was very generous of them to offer you anything. 

4 hours ago, KcFanNindy said:

Then tried to offer me a $175 onboard credit. 

Not sure why you are still complaining. Be happy you are getting something extra above and beyond what you are entitled to in your cruise contract.

As I was reading all the comments and thinking about it. What came to mind is:

What if 70% of customers who had booked at a higher cost (prefinal payment date) wanted to have Princess re-fare to the lower offering after final payment due date?  Now that would be costly to the company. So I can see why it would have to be for new bookings only. 

A deal is a deal. Once it is agreed to, no one should have the right to change the terms or demand extra. It really is that simple.

Posted (edited)

Sorry to tell you all this but you can get a refund after final payment "sometimes".  This is my story.  We booked the 28 day South Pacific cruise leaving LA on 3/30/2019.  We booked this cruise over 2 years ago.  At that time we booked a balcony cabin at $6,034.00 per person that included the drink package.  I watched the price go down several times before the final payment but with the drink package included, it was still  a good deal at the price we booked to began with.  Then after final payment the price dropped crazy.  They were selling the Mini suite for less than what we payed for our balcony.  I called and tried to upgrade our balcony for a Mini.  They would not do that but they did drop my balcony to the price it was selling for at that time $3,687.00.  I did have to give up the drink package but that was a no brainer.  We received a refund for the difference.  I am not sure why they gave us a refund but they did.  Our friends that are traveling with us also received the same refund. So don't be afraid to try.  In the past I had never tried to get a refund after final payment,  but it was such a drastic difference I thought it was worth a try.  I have been given OBC, wine, and specialty dining, after final payment for a price drop but this is the first time I have gotten a refund.  So never say never.  I will not be expecting this in the future but I will try if it happens again.

Edited by ksm77

4 hours ago, fishywood said:

Remember the CFAR coverage is administered by Princess directly, not by the insurance underwriter. So cancelling and rebooking the same date would not be considered a "new booking" at all as Princess would be well aware of the circumstances.

(A nice though though--if only it would work...) 

It works, but may require using the PVP travel credit on a different future cruise due to timing. But it definitely works. 

Good job you don’t look at interline prices, then you’d wand a refare. 

UPDATE— I was finally connected to a supervisor at Princess Customer Relations.  For those of you who are asking, when I paid for the final payment I clearly asked the question if the fare had dropped, would the company honor the lower fare, the agent stated yes they would. Any credits would be refunded back to the credit card. So going on the advice on what I had been instructed by the Princess agent, I called and was able to refare once already. The agent advised me to call back in and there would be no problems. Hince that was what I was doing. My initial locked in rate was $1549 per person, and we had already $150 per person onboard credit thru a sale promotion. When this fare rate was advertised as of $996 per person that was a no brainer, that’s why I called and requested the fare adjustment, going off what I had been instructed to do.

After speaking to the supervisor today, she saw the error on the website, and the website is very misleading, there is no fare at the rate being advertised, the lowest fare was $1279 per person.  She was going to get in touch with the IT department and get the website corrected.  Long story short, I was given the $175 per person onboard credit.  The supervisor reviewed the call notes from the  previous agent who had advised us about the incorrect fare adjustment and will be get the proper training for the employee so there is no more confusion for future customers.

OP - Glad it all worked out for you. Thank you for taking the time to let us know the circumstances and outcome.

I too get irritated by the low cost advertised and then when I get in there to reserve a cruise the $$ is different (usually higher).

I believe having the lower cost up front does its job. It gets us interested in that particular cruise. Once we see that price is not available then we see how close we can get to that "offered" price. 

Posted (edited)

What am I missing here? OP wants a refund to cheaper price AFTER final payment? 

No, it won’t happen. Book at a rate you pleased with, and don’t check prices after final payment, much like the airlines. 

Princess was generous to offer you any OBC. 

And to address the question of why bother to book ahead of time if the rates willdrop anyway, the answer is for most, you still need to have airfare lined up, especially with Europe, months in advance to get decent rates. Why would somebody book airfare first and then wait to book a cruise only two months out, hoping to get a great rate,  and that is if there is even any births available. 

In the case of our cruise to the Mediterranean last year our ship was sold out two months in advance,

It’s been my experience with tracking cruises the later you wait sometimes you might get a better deal and other times you might get the best deal by booking at the outset,  and it’s also been my experience that sometimes I can get a last-minute great cruise deal but the airfares are exorbitant, which offset the great cruise fare. 

Edited by 4cats4me

We booked Enchanted early on, and those prices are just going up. Our upcoming cruise on Coral, prices are dropping,  (ours includes Sip and Sail for 19 days) but we DO have the cabin we want on both cruises, which is why I am happy with what we paid. For us, it's worth it to book early and get our desired cabin...

I've had 2 cruises re fared AFTER FINAL PAYMENT and a third one given an upgrade from balcony to mini suite, when prices dropped after final payment. My TA is willing to ask for me.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, 4cats4me said:

What am I missing here? OP wants a refund to cheaper price AFTER final payment? 

No, it won’t happen. Book at a rate you pleased with, and don’t check prices after final payment, much like the airlines. 

FYI Southwest Airlines will give you future flight credits anytime their fares lower before your flight.

The standard practice is that Princess will honor fare drops before final payment, but not after.  

After final payment one can always ask about the lower advertised fares, but most of the time the answer will be they are only available for new bookings.   It doesn't hurt to ask, and occasionally one may be able to rebook for a higher cabin that is now at the same price as already paid, losing any perks, OBC etc from the original booking.

Almost every time we've been offered an option after final payment by our TA, there has been an issue that made it offer not worth it (e.g. losing Princess paid gratuities),

I liken this to having bought stock.  After final payment, the price may go down but it is too late. So I stop actively looking for price breaks once final payment is made.

It's all in the standard lessons of negotiation...

Prior to final payment date, you, the customer, have great bargaining power...Afterwards you have very little...

Still worth a try...

I've just gone through this with two different cruise lines on upcoming cruises...

For my Emerald Princess cruise next month, after I paid in full, the fare on my category cabin went down twice...

The first time (I had already paid in full--but we may have been in that time warp where the final payment date hadn't really quite yet occurred), I called my TA, they called Princess ...and I received a small rebate on my paid cruise fare...

The second time was just after final payment date and it was just a little harder...But, in the meanwhile, I had also received two upsell offers--to a Suite, then to a mini-suite...I turned down both because I didn't perceive the value in the higher payment (I was in a BD Caribe deck balcony)...When that second price drop occurred, I realized that it was because the ship is far from a sell-out.

I contacted Princess and offered, rather than requesting another rebate, to pay to upgrade my cabin to a Club Class mini-suite--for about half of what I'd previously been offered to upgrade to a regular mini-suite.  The thought is that cruise lines don't like to give back money when they don't have to...but, if they have unsold cabins and the cruise date is fast approaching, they will deal...

If I were Princess, I would have taken my offer--instead, they countered at moving me up to a regular mini suite for the amount I offered...I again turned it down--I'd rather keep my larger Caribe deck balcony than pay even just a little more for a mini-suite...

I did get them to upgrade me at no cost to a B1--a Caribe deck Balcony at exactly mid-ship (I had been toward the aft)...

Of course, the cruise is now just 3 weeks away and they still have a lot of unsold cabins...so, maybe they'll come back with another offer...If not, I am happy with what I've got and what I'm paying...

But, also, I have two upcoming cruises on Celebrity.  One has done nothing but go up in price.  But the other has dropped a bit...AND they've improved some of the offers...We are just ahead of final payment on that one...and I've gone back and renegotiated twice and have been able to drop my price by $320 while also adding unlimited internet, free gratuities and another $200 in OBC...But, I know from experience that, with Celebrity as well, after final payment, I'd forget about getting the fare lowered--but, in the past with them as well, I've often been able to get my cabin upgraded if availability exists and the price has dropped.  Last summer on a Celebrity Alaska cruise, I was able, after final payment, to move from an inside cabin to a Concierge class balcony--because the price had dropped on the latter--actually to slightly less than the price for an inside--at that time.

I'm one who usually waits until after the final payment date to book a cruise. Sometimes the prices go down and we can get a bargain. Other times, though, prices go up and we end up staying home.