Royal Princess Standard Balcony

MsSoCalCruiser

This will be our first time on the royal princess. We are looking to book a standard balcony in the aft section (not an aft view).  Are any decks better than others? I heard the balconies are small. Are the balconies the same size on all the decks in that section of the ship? Any suggestions? This will be a cabin for three adults. Thank you! 

On the Royal, all the aft balconies are the same size except the larger aft facing ones.

We were in D627 last fall. Small balcony but we liked it.Year before we were in D708 and also liked the location.

This coming week we went for a mid ship balcony and I know it is the same size as the others. I like Dolphin deck on the Royal class ships because can walk up only two flights to get there from the entertainment decks.I like the aft area because a quick elevator ride to buffet  and also to the fixed dining room on deck 6.There are larger balconies  towards the front of ship but  I haven't experienced those. Next month we are booked in a aft facing delux balcony cabin on Dolphin deck. I have seen that cabin D728 and balcony is large and covered.

• Like 1

All balconies are the same size except:

Deluxe obstructed balconies on M and L decks at the very front of the ship

Mini-suites under the skywalk (they are angled and larger) and minisuites on M and L at the very front of the ship

For 3 adults I would book a deluxe obstructed view as the deluxe cabins have a pull out couch, which is easier than a drop down bunk for the third adult.  They are also slightly larger.

• Like 1

Almost all side facing balconies on all decks are 9' x 4'. There are some balconies around the ship that are a little different size and shape. You can find these by looking at the deck plans and examining each deck.

Royal class ships are not built the same as the layered decks on Grand class ships.

• Like 1

I agree - Royal class balconies are small   They have 2 chairs and a small, low round table to sit a drink on.  Three adults will fit if they are standing, but there is no seating for the third person.  I further agree that your party of 3 may be happier in a deluxe obstructed view.

To give an idea of the size of a standard balcony, we had breakfast delivered almost every day and ate on our balcony, but in order to have enough table top area we had to take the table from inside the cabin to the balcony.  It was not possible for the person furthest from the door to go into the cabin while our trays were still in place.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goofy559 said:

Mini-suites under the skywalk (they are angled and larger) and minisuites on M and L at the very front of the ship

For 3 adults I would book a deluxe obstructed view as the deluxe cabins have a pull out couch, which is easier than a drop down bunk for the third adult.  They are also slightly larger.

Dlx obstruted on Emerald deck with large balcony  as well. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skynight said:

Almost all side facing balconies on all decks are 9' x 4'. There are some balconies around the ship that are a little different size and shape. You can find these by looking at the deck plans and examining each deck.

Royal class ships are not built the same as the layered decks on Grand class ships.

I measured ours on Regal last week (M702) it was a little over 4' by 10'.  Something like 41 square feet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mom33 said:

The midship port and starboard cabins on each deck have some larger balconies. They will show on deck plans.

Look at C410 and C409. (other decks have similar balconies in this area.) Besides being bigger, the balcony has the ability to sit by the rail and looked all the way to the front of the ship.

This video (LINK TO A GOOLE DRIVE VIDEO) was shot with the camera sitting on the rail looking forward. 

• Like 1

A few of the cabins under the seawalk bump have larger balconies. We had D424 on Majestic and the balcony was almost twice the size of the standard balcony cabin we'd had on Royal. Check the deck plans, they give you a good idea of the relative balcony sizes. We found Dolphin deck was a great location, far enough below the seawalk to not feel like people were peering into your balcony but high enough so the small outside deck below on deck 7 wasn't an obstruction.

• Like 1

What size table do the mini suite balconies under the sea walk have?

In the past we have brought a 30"x30"x 30 " high camp table for the balcony so we can sit at normal height and enjoy room service breakfast and other meals.

Edited by CaboWabo62

17 minutes ago, CaboWabo62 said:

What size table do the mini suite balconies under the sea walk have?

In the past we have brought a 30"x30"x 30 " high camp table for the balcony so we can sit at normal height and enjoy room service breakfast and other meals.

I believe it would fit, but one person may need to shimmy a bit to get by. (May have 16 to 18 inches to get by it.)

Thank you all for your replies.  

We booked a standard balcony today.   I am worried about one thing; it says that the balcony door is blocked when the upper birth is in use. My CVP said that the view would just be blocked.  Have you had any experience with this?  The rooms that hold three people all have this remark and the ones that hold four people do not. There are no four person standard rooms available in this section at this time. 

Thanks again!

17 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you all for your replies.  

We booked a standard balcony today.   I am worried about one thing; it says that the balcony door is blocked when the upper birth is in use. My CVP said that the view would just be blocked.  Have you had any experience with this?  The rooms that hold three people all have this remark and the ones that hold four people do not. There are no four person standard rooms available in this section at this time. 

Thanks again!

Somewhere there is a thread that shows a photo of what this looks like. Maybe using the search feature could help locate it.

As I remember it, when the upper berth is set up, it blocks access to the door unless you sort of crawl under the bed to get to the door.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:12 PM, caribill said:

Somewhere there is a thread that shows a photo of what this looks like. Maybe using the search feature could help locate it.

As I remember it, when the upper berth is set up, it blocks access to the door unless you sort of crawl under the bed to get to the door.

Thank you Caribill.  We were able to change to a different cabin where the balcony door will not be blocked. 

On 3/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, goofy559 said:

the few cabins all the way forward on Emerald deck have huge balconies but they are steel not glass.  We had E110 and 109 and the balcony was 81 sq ft!   I didn't mind the steel instead of glass.  It was nice to be all the way forward too.  There is also one odd deluxe on Emerald that juts out significantly; can't remember the number right now.   It is glass. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, TheRabbit said:

The fact the the UBD is offered indicates it is. Table might be narrower. We are already booked for one in early May.

Please let me know how it is set up.   I am thinking of surprising my friends with that and there will be 3 of us... I hope it’s possible. 

On 3/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, habita said:

Is there room for a balcony dinner on the standard Royal balcony?

On 3/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, TheRabbit said:

The fact the the UBD is offered indicates it is. Table might be narrower. We are already booked for one in early May.

24 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Please let me know how it is set up.   I am thinking of surprising my friends with that and there will be 3 of us... I hope it’s possible. 

I have enjoyed several UBDs on various sizes of balconies...from 9’x9’ to the Royal-Class 9’x4’ and even inside our cabin due to inclement weather.

The table is against the balcony railing so the shallower balcony mostly affects the waitstaff but didn’t affect the service.  It’s easier for the person seated next to the open slider to access the table & there’s less room for the person to squeeze past the table to be seated on the other side.

Unless you have a larger balcony, the majority of balconies could not accommodate 3 passengers.

21 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I have enjoyed several UBDs on various sizes of balconies...from 9’x9’ to the Royal-Class 9’x4’ and even inside our cabin due to inclement weather.

The table is against the balcony railing so the shallower balcony mostly affects the waitstaff but didn’t affect the service.  It’s easier for the person seated next to the open slider to access the table & there’s less room for the person to squeeze past the table to be seated on the other side.

Unless you have a larger balcony, the majority of balconies could not accommodate 3 passengers.

Thank you Astro Flyer.  That’s a bummer. This will be my first time on a royal class ship. I’m used to the large Caribe balconies. 

9 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you Astro Flyer.  That’s a bummer. This will be my first time on a royal class ship. I’m used to the large Caribe balconies. 

There are few larger balconies spread around the ship that could accommodate 3 passengers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Sorry, I missed the three adults on the first pass. You can call to see if it is possible, but I think Astro Flyer is right, not sure how they could add the third person.

Also, not sure of the type of cabin you have, but another option is to move the table inside. I think Astro Flyer indicated he did this one time on another thread.  That might allow you to sit three. Again, depends on the room, so call the room service number as they are the ones who book and service these I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheRabbit said:

Sorry, I missed the three adults on the first pass. You can call to see if it is possible, but I think Astro Flyer is right, not sure how they could add the third person.

Also, not sure of the type of cabin you have, but another option is to move the table inside. I think Astro Flyer indicated he did this one time on another thread.  That might allow you to sit three. Again, depends on the room, so call the room service number as they are the ones who book and service these I believe.

Thank you. We have a standard balcony room. I’m excited to cruise on the Royal Princess but I will miss the Caribe balconies.  Maybe we should just go to the Crown Grill?  😊😊😊