Cruise Critic Community
Acheavacci

Best souveniers question

i buy a polo shirt with a logo from each port and perhaps a logoed t-hirt.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Did he or she sign it ?

Would need to be a big painting then.

I'm all about fridge magnets.  

Take up no space, don't need to be dusted.  

I collect stick pins from each port and display them on a pin board at home.  Cheap and easy to carry.  Something else for kids to throw out when i go.  Lol

I like to buy good quality tea towels, magnets, and Christmas ornaments. They have to be lightweight and tasteful. In Poland, I love buying Polish pottery, but of course, that is quite heavy.  Still worth it for me.

I like to buy tea towels.  I smile at the memories that come up every time I use them.  The most elaborate souvenir I've purchased is a miniature traditional kayak, complete with all of the fishing tools, made by a man in Illulisat. Part of the treat was talking with the maker.

Earrings and scarves.  Take up next to nothing in my carryons.  I can wear any of them any day and think of where I purchased them.    I had a few exceptions: a carved "smoking man" (put inscense cone at the bottom and it comes out his mouth) I bought from a man in his studio in the hills above Altenberg, Germany;  a Czech crystal vase that actually matched the pattern of the crystal dishes I inherited from my Grandma; a hand-painted ostrich egg that I bought at a shelter for the disabled in Jordan.  Oh, I did bring back ceramic drawer knobs from Italy (Geometrica pattern)  to put on all my kitchen doors and drawers in my new house.  

So many unique souveniers.  I love the fact that each souvenier brings up great memories.   I am also a fan of magnets.  My husband can't stand the clutter on the Fridge so I created a magnetic wall in our basement😃   

13 hours ago, brillohead said:

I'm all about fridge magnets.  

Take up no space, don't need to be dusted.  

We have some magnets and they really need to be dusted but not very often!

8 hours ago, Gwendy said:

I collect stick pins from each port and display them on a pin board at home.  Cheap and easy to carry.  Something else for kids to throw out when i go.  Lol

Not really funny, but when my mum went, her 500 + teaspoons from all around the world and the racks went to charity. Like you meant, just because something has value to you doesn't mean your kids will want it.

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not to laugh to hard, but when my mum went, her 500 + teaspoons from all around the world and the racks went to charity.

Oh yes, my children have already informed me that they have no interest in any of my collections 😂

19 minutes ago, Acheavacci said:

Oh yes, my children have already informed me that they have no interest in any of my collections 😂

I did grab two of the spoons, which were apparently mine had, my initials on them.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I did grab two of the spoons, which were apparently mine had my initials on them.

That is so sweet.  I bet you are smiling thinking about the spoons right now. And, your mother is also shining her smile down on you.  

OOOH< I forgot.  We got an Ulu knife and cutting bowl in Alaska.  I LOVE that damned thing for chopping herbs and garlic.  It's PERFECT.  Bought two more to send to the sisters.

We aren't really into souvenirs....although, we did buy some beer bottle koozies at a few ports!  I don't tend to buy anything I can only look at...it must be useable on a daily basis.  Not into "clutter".  I find my memories are the best souvenir!

2 hours ago, cb at sea said:

We aren't really into souvenirs....although, we did buy some beer bottle koozies at a few ports!  I don't tend to buy anything I can only look at...it must be useable on a daily basis.  Not into "clutter".  I find my memories are the best souvenir!

Bottle Koozie, is a that a sleeve for your beer ? If so, I have a few of them.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Bottle Koozie, is a that a sleeve for your beer ? If so, I have a few of them.

Bottle Koozie sounds better than stubby holder.  Lol

48 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Bottle Koozie sounds better than stubby holder.  Lol

Yes, I have one that is a Skin Blong Bia. (Pidgen English)

Pictures of the destinations. They use virtually no space / weight in my luggage and don't damage. And they'll be great reminders in my dotage. Only downside is that my travels now exceed my wall-space.

And tea-spoons.

Unfortunately that collection's not grown in recent decades because cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, airlines, even British Rail no longer commission their own monogrammed tea-spoons. I wonder why? :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Pictures of the destinations. They use virtually no space / weight in my luggage and don't damage. And they'll be great reminders in my dotage. Only downside is that my travels now exceed my wall-space.

And tea-spoons.

Unfortunately that collection's not grown in recent decades because cruise lines, hotels, restaurants, airlines, even British Rail no longer commission their own monogrammed tea-spoons. I wonder why? :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

I suppose most people have stopped collecting them, so the demand is not there. I know where there is a huge collection for you to salvage.