US$ or pesos

saphir

28 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

We've made plenty of trips to assorted locations in Mexico over the past decade and have never had a problem using US Dollar.

Ditto,use US dollars as you dont want come home with peso's..Also take small demomition  if you give them a 20  for a 2 dollar item you will get all pesos's back bescause they love Us dollars

• Like 1

I’m planning to bring pesos. They may “accept” US dollars but I find you get slightly better prices when you speak to them in pesos and don’t let them know you are carrying US dollars. Especially in Vallarta. All the menus and price tags are in pesos. USD may be a little more common in Cabo where there’s a larger US influence. And tour operators also list their prices in USD but if you email or call them with inquiries about “paying pesos in person, in cash” you will usually get MUCH better deals. 

usually what I do is talk to vendors in pesos and use the currency converter on my phone to see how much things work out to be.

I don’t see what the disadvantage to using pesos is. Yes, you might lose a little on the exchange when you sell the pesos back but the money saved is well worth it. For things like taxis, street vendors, etc. Much better prices in pesos.

its not like cruising the Caribbean where their currency isn’t common and

they each use their own, and mostly get cruise ship visitors and tourists. Mexico is a huge independent sovereign nation with a large ex-pat community.

Edited by marktwothousand

My fiance's parents live in Mazatlan and I always convert to Peso. Yes, restaurants/vendors will take USD, but you will lose value by doing so. I recommend exchanging money at any "Casa de Cambio" and then sell back any remaining peso at last port.

Edited by donovanrs28

26 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Way easiest is to use the US Dollar!  :classic_wink:

It is also extremely easy to exchange US to Pesos....as someone who lived in Puerto Vallarta for 2.5 years let me give you some info MOST of you seem to be missing. Yes, everyone in Mexico will be HAPPY to take your US dollars and give you change in pesos...but have you ever checked your exchange rate? If they give pesos it is usually 10 to 1 in change, even if the official exchange rate is 20 to 1 at cambios/money exchange places. So if you are only making a few dollars in purchases no worries and you have some pesos for souvenirs but if you want to dine out, buy art, or anything more than $10 you either need to use a credit card (double check you foreign exchange fees first) or get pesos before your cruise or upon arrival. 

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unless you are buying something big, use UD dollars. u

17 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Unless you are buying something big, use UD dollars. There is minimal benefit for using pesos (along exchanging currency in small quantities). 

Do you get the best exchange rate with dollars, no. Does it matter, no. 

Totally agree!  

What a mix of opinions. As a Canadian, That also helps guide my decision. I have to convert to USD anyway, so when I get my money, I buy pesos at the same time.

Everywhere will accept USD, it’s just a question of how much money you’re comfortable losing with vendor-set exchange rates.

you'll still end up with pesos to change back to USD anyway, so why not just get the pesos in the first place.

i also think it is a matter of respect for mexican sovereignty. Yes, money is money, and Mexicans will be happy to be making USD if you have no pesos on you, as they are valueable dollars to them. However given the relationship between the US and Mexico at the moment, I think the less symbols of the US government that Mexicans have to be exposed to...the better. If you carrying wads of USD, it is somewhat disrespectful to just assume that everyone in a foreign sovereign country will accept it because it is USD.

like, put it the other way, would an American accept MX pesos if they had a business in LA or San Diego? I don’t think so. So treat Mexicans should be treated the same way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

What a mix of opinions. As a Canadian, That also helps guide my decision. I have to convert to USD anyway, so when I get my money, I buy pesos at the same time.

Everywhere will accept USD, it’s just a question of how much money you’re comfortable losing with vendor-set exchange rates.

you'll still end up with pesos to change back to USD anyway, so why not just get the pesos in the first place.

i also think it is a matter of respect for mexican sovereignty. Yes, money is money, and Mexicans will be happy to be making USD if you have no pesos on you, as they are valueable dollars to them. However given the relationship between the US and Mexico at the moment, I think the less symbols of the US government that Mexicans have to be exposed to...the better. If you carrying wads of USD, it is somewhat disrespectful to just assume that everyone in a foreign sovereign country will accept it because it is USD.

like, put it the other way, would an American accept MX pesos if they had a business in LA or San Diego? I don’t think so. So treat Mexicans should be treated the same way. 

Totally agreeibg with you.  I will change my CDN$ in US and in pesos.  Thank you of all....

I always use dollars.  If I am supposed to get change back I ask if I can get U.S. dollars change, if they say yes I go ahead with the transaction if they say no, I walk away to the next place that has the same merchandise.  I have never had a problem doing this.

Candi