Cruise Critic Community
flahagan

My take on the Oasis

I've been on close to 20 cruises on nearly every mainline cruise out there, except Disney and NCL (going in August).   I took this cruise with a neighbor friend, both of us widows, and we did the western route.  I have sailed on the Navigator of the Seas on a TA back in 2009, but this was my first Oasis class.

I have sailed on other mega ships - Carnival Vista and Breeze, MSC Divina, Celebrity Soltice class,  but I guess this was the largest.   All I can say is bigger does not mean better.  Most evenings, we were just plain bored.  No music with a cocktail before OR after dinner, no music anywhere before close to 10 PM.  We got so bored in the evenings we ended up back in our cabin and read.  Plus, I don't appreciate having to make "reservations" to see something in the evenings months before I cruise.  

Everything was an upsell or a line.  On the second formal night, we went down to the anytime dining room and the line stretched out to the middle of the elevators.  We ended up in the buffet, which is by the way one of the smallest of any ship I've been on.

On the first formal night, we were in the MDR and a slob in a sleeveless, ribbed undershirt, cut-off jean shorts and tan workboots walked in and was seated.  Everyone around us was staring and couldn't believe he was allowed in to the MDR - he should have been directed to the Windjammer or Sorrento's. 

I appreciated that there were plenty of elevators, our cabin steward was great, the balcony was a nice size, and I ended up reading two books!  But I missed dancing, deck parties, a REAL live cruise director, an entertainment staff that was entertaining, things to do in the evening besides shopping their "promenade sales", and MUSIC!  Where's the music on this ship?  Dull, dull, dull.  The Latin band was the best part, but they never started before 10 and not every night.  We felt the entertainment, with the exception of the diving show, was very poor.  Glad I tried it once, but won't try it again.

Must be a onetime thing. Have sailed Oasis, Allure and Symphony.  Pub has live music until 3am,  Jazz on 4 and the Attic or Blaze is going strong until well after 2am. Live band and dancing in Dazzles well past midnight. Boleros playing loud music until 2am.  Not to forget about piano in Schooners, live music in Central Park, and the roaming piano player showing up wherever.  And then there are the show with some starting at 10:30 pm or later.  Perhaps you were on her during dry dock. 

Wow, things must have really changed on Oasis.  I remember Schooner, Globe & Atlas, On-Air, Boleros, Jazz on 4, and Dazzles all having music before 10pm.   In fact, we used to enjoy a drink in Schooner before dinner.   Did all these venues really cut music before 10?  What about the solo guitarist in Central Park?  We used to love sitting at Trellis listening to them before dinner.  

Edited by Aquahound

Just wanted to add the Solarium Bistro is a great complimentary alternative to the MDR or Windjammer for dinner.

9 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Wow, things must have really changed on Oasis.  I remember Schooner, Globe & Atlas, On-Air, Boleros, Jazz on 4, and Dazzles all having music before 10pm.   In fact, we used to enjoy a drink in Schooner before dinner.   Did all these venues really cut music before 10?

Just off of the Oasis a couple of weeks ago and we had music before 10.  Most bands started between 9-9:30, and there were some limited options even earlier.  

3 hours ago, flahagan said:

We felt the entertainment, with the exception of the diving show, was very poor.  Glad I tried it once, but won't try it again.

You didn't care for CATS🤔

Wow! This is such a different view than I have of the entertainment on Oasis class ships!

Yes, reservations are recommended in advance, but you can also do that once you are on the ship. There is so much to see at night, from the Broadway production, ice show, aqua show, comedy room, and main theater performances, which vary on different sailings.

As far as music, there is a Jazz room with GREAT music, multiple bands performing a range of music in a variety of venues, classical music almost every evening in central park, as well as other offerings daily in the Cruise Compass.

Most days there are more choices for music than we can fit in. We have cruised a pretty fair amount on several lines and on every class of Royal ship; we have sailed on Oasis class ships 7 times(most recently on Oasis in January) and always come away very satisfied with most of the entertainment. We do make a point of perusing the listings for the next day, highlighting our best choices; we don't wait until after dinner to find something to do, although we feel free to change plans if we like.

Clearly, your perception is your reality, but for us Royal's big ships do a better job with entertainment than other lines.

Barb

The lack of music before 10 is odd.  I looked at one of my compasses from our Harmony cruise last year.  They had live music on the Royal Promenade for an hour starting 5:45.  Then at 7:30 they had live music both in Central Park and on the Royal Promenade.  The lounges started cranking up at 9pm

16 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

Just off of the Oasis a couple of weeks ago and we had music before 10.  Most bands started between 9-9:30, and there were some limited options even earlier.  

We were just off Oasis too and we had plenty of options of music before 10pm.  They had some really great musicians in the middle of Central Park.  We would sit outside at Vintages for a drink every night at about 7pm and listen.  I want to say we heard them just about every night we were there.

When did you sail?  We just got off recently and the wonderful entertainment was our favorite thing. We enjoyed music from 5 or so until quite late in several venues.  

Sailed the Oasis in January and while I can't agree with the OP about shows, I also didn't like the Windjammer.   Very small for the ship size, no omelet station (did finally find one but it it took days) and not a great selection of choices nor did they promptly restock items that ran out. Disembarkation was very disorderly and took too long.  Too many people trying to do walk off.  Not overly impressed by the ship but that is why there are choices.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:23 PM, flahagan said:

I've been on close to 20 cruises on nearly every mainline cruise out there, except Disney and NCL (going in August).   I took this cruise with a neighbor friend, both of us widows, and we did the western route.  I have sailed on the Navigator of the Seas on a TA back in 2009, but this was my first Oasis class.

I have sailed on other mega ships - Carnival Vista and Breeze, MSC Divina, Celebrity Soltice class,  but I guess this was the largest.   All I can say is bigger does not mean better.  Most evenings, we were just plain bored.  No music with a cocktail before OR after dinner, no music anywhere before close to 10 PM.  We got so bored in the evenings we ended up back in our cabin and read.  Plus, I don't appreciate having to make "reservations" to see something in the evenings months before I cruise.  

Everything was an upsell or a line.  On the second formal night, we went down to the anytime dining room and the line stretched out to the middle of the elevators.  We ended up in the buffet, which is by the way one of the smallest of any ship I've been on.

On the first formal night, we were in the MDR and a slob in a sleeveless, ribbed undershirt, cut-off jean shorts and tan workboots walked in and was seated.  Everyone around us was staring and couldn't believe he was allowed in to the MDR - he should have been directed to the Windjammer or Sorrento's. 

I appreciated that there were plenty of elevators, our cabin steward was great, the balcony was a nice size, and I ended up reading two books!  But I missed dancing, deck parties, a REAL live cruise director, an entertainment staff that was entertaining, things to do in the evening besides shopping their "promenade sales", and MUSIC!  Where's the music on this ship?  Dull, dull, dull.  The Latin band was the best part, but they never started before 10 and not every night.  We felt the entertainment, with the exception of the diving show, was very poor.  Glad I tried it once, but won't try it again.

Why didn’t you go to Dazzles, they have music for cocktails every night, sometimes a great trio, it’s out favorite lounge. Deck 8 and 9. Also I really liked booking the shows in advance, you don’t have to show up but you have the option, and unlike other ships, you can just waltz in to the show and don’t have to be there 30 minutes early to score a seat. 

Edited by Elevatorman

Our cabin was right around the corner from Dazzles so we always checked it out first, never once could get in - people were standing in the aisles.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, flahagan said:

The entertainment cuts are the newest let down on RCI ships.....they cut more and more but get away with it - as people still rave about RCI and find every excuse in the book ....🙄

Last week on the Oasis, there was music in Central Park starting around 6:00 every evening. There were times it was hard to find a seat but we always managed. 

Loved the the aqua show, the ice skating show and Come Fly with Me. We were too tired to make it to the comedy shows or the headliner, but plenty of entertainment options. We even taught our youngest granddaughters how to play ping pong and they participated in The Office trivia. 

To each her own, but for me, the Oasis class ships offer entertainment options that enhance my cruise experience. 

2 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The entertainment cuts are the newest let down on RCI ships.....they cut more and more but get away with it - as people still rave about RCI and find every excuse in the book ....🙄

I thought you booked a lot🤔

3 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

You must have missed the 12 posts before yours. 

Finding it hard to believe I was on the same ship last July. We had music all over the place it seemed. Loved it in central park, Dazzles was our favorite and had music by the piano guy after dinner, I guess about 8:30 in Schooner bar. huh.